What the go to GPS these days?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

metalheart

What the go to GPS these days?

Post by metalheart »

Yeah, yeah, I know. But (genuinely) asking for a friend.

I've an Oregon 600 which does me (and more than I use it for... :oops: ).

I've a mate who was about to order an Edge something or other. I don't think that's the best option.

So, whats the go to GPS unit these days?
Give the dirt a little room.
ScotRoutes

Re: What the go to GPS these days?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Judging by the number of problems folk have with the Edge series, I'd be avoiding those.

Etrex if you want small, with a choice of button-operated or touch-screen. Otherwise, Oregon (probably the 700 now) if you want larger. Montana looks too big for me.

Not sure I'd be trying other brands, though a cheap smartphone in a good case might actually be just as good in most circumstances.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

That's pretty much exactly what I told him Colin... :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I had an edge 1000 and Montana 610

Montana is wonderful; however, eats batteries

Recently bought an Oregon 700
Screen is a little small (compared with the Montana) however the battery life is amazing
Oregon seems fine if one is merely following a line
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

cool, Oregon 700 it is I’ll tell him :-bd
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Asposium wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:16 pm Recently bought an Oregon 700
Screen is a little small (compared with the Montana) however the battery life is amazing
Does the Oregon 700 use AA Lithium batteries and how many hours do do they last ?
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Chicken Legs wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Asposium wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:16 pm Recently bought an Oregon 700
Does the Oregon 700 use AA Lithium batteries and how many hours do do they last ?
Lithium or AA rechargeable. My 600 will do up to 18 hours on a good set with a few power-saving options enabled.
techno

Post by techno »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 pm Lithium or AA rechargeable. My 600 will do up to 18 hours on a good set with a few power-saving options enabled.
Have just got myself an Oregon 600 and have enabled some power saving functions. I'd like to see if I can improve things further, so Which have you enabled?
Thanks.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

techno mail wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:14 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 pm Lithium or AA rechargeable. My 600 will do up to 18 hours on a good set with a few power-saving options enabled.
Have just got myself an Oregon 600 and have enabled some power saving functions. I'd like to see if I can improve things further, so Which have you enabled?
Thanks.
This page https://www.navigation-professionell.de ... -settings/ will show you what does what. I'm sure I've come across a (very nerdy) site that lists how much current each feature uses but can't find the URI now.

[edit]Nerdy power stuff here - http://www.gpsrchive.com/Oregon%206xx/P ... urces.html [/edit]

I used an Oregon 600 on this year's Rovaniemi 150 in the arctic and one set of batteries lasted for 20 hours but I only looked at the screen a few times as the route is well flagged so it was just a recording device. The batteries are Duracell rechargeables.

The big battery drain is the screen so the less you use that the better battery life you'll have. Then it's things like map orientation (the unit has to redraw the map whenever you change direction).
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 am This page https://www.navigation-professionell.de ... -settings/ will show you what does what. I'm sure I've come across a (very nerdy) site that lists how much current each feature uses but can't find the URI now.

[edit]Nerdy power stuff here - http://www.gpsrchive.com/Oregon%206xx/P ... urces.html [/edit]

I used an Oregon 600 on this year's Rovaniemi 150 in the arctic and one set of batteries lasted for 20 hours but I only looked at the screen a few times as the route is well flagged so it was just a recording device. The batteries are Duracell rechargeables.

The big battery drain is the screen so the less you use that the better battery life you'll have. Then it's things like map orientation (the unit has to redraw the map whenever you change direction).
Thanks Bob, bookmarked :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah, cool. Bob beat me to it!
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 am
techno mail wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:14 am
Thanks.
This page https://www.navigation-professionell.de ... -settings/ will show you what does what. I'm sure I've come across a (very nerdy) site that lists how much current each feature uses but can't find the URI now.

In which case keeping screen orientation set to North Up rather than Track Up should save some battery as well.