What bike for the Cairngorm Loop?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

br

What bike for the Cairngorm Loop?

Post by br »

Looking at doing the outer Cairngorm Loop in a couple of weeks with a pal, starting from Blair Atholl and just want to confirm my bike choice will be do-able.

Recently I bought a Planet X Full Monty (cw 36mm tyres), and so want to use it. I've done a fair few off-piste rides (Scottish Borders based) and I reckon it'll be fine for +90% of the 'Loop. Daft idea?

Otherwise it's either my 26 HT or 29 FS - but I'd rather use the Monty.
In Reverse

Re: What bike for the Cairngorm Loop?

Post by In Reverse »

That'll be fine for the outer loop.

Looks a nice bike tbf. Ragged it much yet?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's a couple of bits you'll not be riding but it'll be fine for the rest. FWIW, I'd skip the "official" route at the north end and go via Glenmore and Ryvoan to Forest Lodge. That takes you through one of the best areas and avoids both needless tarmac and the puddle of certain doom.
br

Post by br »

Thanks.

That Glenmore route looks decent, we'll do that.

The Monty is surprisingly good. I've never had a drop-bar bike (at least not since I was a kid) as I've always just MTB'd. But I'd been doing more and more XCing to/from the steeper stuff that I thought it'd be worth a punt, especially with Planet X pricing.

Really impressed with it, totally capable on miles upon miles of estate roads, farm tracks, forest roads and singletrack we have around here and so much better than slogging an MTB and the tarmac bits in-between.

Looking forward.