Tuscany Trail 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Tuscany Trail 2019

Post by FLV »

Summary: Enjoyed both the ride and the area / towns.

I knew going into it that I was a little under prepared and certainly under trained. The total distance of the event is equal to a quarter of my current distance for the year. Not ideal but I went with the attitude that its just cycling in Tuscany and I had all day for 6 days to make it.
It was great to meet Gairy and do some riding, along with eating and drinking together. Thanks for all the arranging!

In the end I really enjoyed it, the route has sections of amazing scenery and sections of good riding. Overall it is easy gravel or rough gravel mainly with a few bits of nice singletrack and occasionally rocky trails. Lots of gravel bikes on the route, lots of people saying they wished they'd brought mtbs.

I got round the route in 5 days, I used my camp kit only once and to be honest, the towns spaced for 5 days are so nice it would be a real shame to go to Tuscany and miss spending an evening in them enjoying the delights that Italy has to offer. Food and Drink wise.
Getting over the hill from vinchi on the first day was good, but killer. Most of the Trail 'veterans' go round it and could be seen arriving at the campsite from the other direction. Not a bad idea to be honest as its bloody steep up and mainly tarmac down to the campsite. Depends on whether you really want to follow the trail or not.
Second day has its fair share of tough climbing too, but the whole show gets easier after that (a bit).

I'd recommend the route and the event. Everyone was super friendly and helpful, both the people of Tuscany and the participants.

My new Nordest Sardinha was great and worked well. I'd have liked an eagle size gear for some of the steep stuff or for when my legs fell off but most people would be fine with the 11-46 / 32 I had.
Got a last minute bar bag from Stu, the ACEpack bar roll, fastened it on and full it up and then never worried about it really. I havnt had a roll before rather than a harness but it seems fine and well made.
If I go again, and the forecast is the same, I'd take less kit and plan to stay in the towns from the beginning.

Basically, I had a great time.

I'll add some photos when Flickr lets me back in.
Rasta

Re: Tuscany Trail 2019

Post by Rasta »

:-bd

Would you recommend the route off season? That area should be doable even in winter.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I dont see why not. Resupply might be more difficult if things are closed. Theres plenty of signs in various places demanding tyre chains for winter but its never high as such.

High season might be worse. Hotter and less accomodation available
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Glad the bar roll worked well for you Dave ... and obviously that you had a good time too :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

FLV wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:50 pm I dont see why not. Resupply might be more difficult if things are closed. Theres plenty of signs in various places demanding tyre chains for winter but its never high as such.

High season might be worse. Hotter and less accomodation available
Cheers!
gairym

Post by gairym »

I tell thee what Dave, I'm struggling to reintegrate back into polite society!

No world class pizza and 'double coking' for lunch and only one course (possibly with a biscuit for 'dessert') for dinner!

What. The. Actual. Flip?

No wonder I keep going back :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

You're not wrong. I'm almost ready to say I'll be back already.

Heres a couple of reminders of happy times

and yes, I am rubbish at photos
gairym

Post by gairym »

Here are a few more photos to keep the memories fresh.....

larsmars

Post by larsmars »

@FLV Envious of that lovely weather! Like the look of those Nordest bikes. Thunk up by the same guy (Pedro Jeronimo) who designed my Rasputin.
FLV

Post by FLV »

larsmars wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:26 pm @FLV Envious of that lovely weather! Like the look of those Nordest bikes. Thunk up by the same guy (Pedro Jeronimo) who designed my Rasputin.
Indeed, I have now successfully left it too late to go for a ride in the rain this evening. Perhaps tomorrow :grin:

The Nordest is nice to ride and good value in my opinion. Pedro has been a pleasure to deal with too.