First Solo Bivi

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Hoojum

First Solo Bivi

Post by Hoojum »

Now I've been doing this bikepacking lark for a while but I'd realised I've never been out on my own. Having been let down at the last minute, by thee who shall from now be known as DogOutDean, I thought I'd do my first solo bivi.

The weather seamed to clear from what seemed like months of rain so I headed out on the South Downs.

Did I mention that the sun had eventually come out.

Food wise I had just enough but it was no banquet so I dipped down into a village and visited the local pub were I managed to score some fresh veg and even some skewers from the lovely land lady. I did tell her it was just me but she insisted on giving me a family portion.

More climbing back up on the Downs saw me arrive at a lovely spot with cracking views over the South Downs.

I went about getting my kit unpacked and soon realized I'd forgot my pegs and had to improvise using some sticks held down with rocks. It was a little windy but I hoped they’ll hold.

After a few ciders I did manage to rip my down jacket on a low hanging branch. It was only a Uniclo cheapy and I managed to retain what little down it has in it but plugging the rip with a tube leach. Still, a visit to the seamstress is needed.

As a first solo bivi goes, I really enjoyed it having feasted on kebabs followed by the best transatlantic partnership ever, Cadburys chocolate with Orio.

So from now on I think I'll be planning a few solo trips in between group rides. :)
Ray Young

Re: First Solo Bivi

Post by Ray Young »

Good on ya Hoojum. I love solo trips, go your own pace, pick your own route, stop where and when you want. Time spent alone teaches you a lot about yourself which can't be a bad thing. I'm not a total loner though, routes done with others are fun too, just different.