Snowmelt Silliness.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Snowmelt Silliness.

Post by Ray Young »

I had been looking forward to this ride for some time as it was going to be my first big overnighter of the year. 80 miles over 2 days in The Trossachs. It didn't quite turn out like that, partly because of poor fitness on my part after too long off the bike due to back problems but mostly due to 1) Saturated ground (read one huge bog) high up from snowmelt 2) Very nadgery singletrack (would of been great if it wasn't a bog) 3) Multiple little rivulets crossing your path (that where actually bogs) and 4) What seemed at one point like mile after mile of non existant trail (and you guessed it, boggy and uphill to boot).
I started at 12 on wednesday and finished at 1 on thursday having managed only 42 miles of which I walked about 12 miles. The only real riding I got to do was on landrover or quad tracks. Luckily the scenery made up for it and the weather was pretty kind although the wind was very chilly. I'll be back after it's dried out.

Heading for the gap to the right of Ben Vorlich. (The high point).
This picture was taken from one of the few bridges that were marked and actually existed, the rest having been washed away. I think it was three rivers I ended up having to ford.

I started to bikehike not far past this post all the way to and past the gap at Ben Vorlich.

At least it's pretty.

Finally at the top, looking back.

Looking forward through the pass, looks good but soon not rideable!

Bivi spot, took ages to find a flat dry spot.

Looking back at Glen Finglas reservoir. Saw lots of wild geese heading north.

Old and atmospheric graveyard at Brig O Turk. Near grave has a shepherds crook mounted on it.

Well you didn't think you'd get away without a picture of the bike did you. New short stem and inboard bar ends worked well as did the fork mounted bags (need mounting higher though), bar harness and frame mounted bladder.
gairym

Re: Snowmelt Silliness.

Post by gairym »

looks like a lovely ride there fella - nice overnight spot too!
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Sounds like tough conditions ray. Cracking bivi spot. Doesn't look like you myog tarp tent in the photo. What shelter did you use?
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Looks like a great trip...apart from the actual biking ;)

Cracking scenery over that way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

pushbikemike wrote:Sounds like tough conditions ray. Cracking bivi spot. Doesn't look like you myog tarp tent in the photo. What shelter did you use?
Hi Mike, the overnight forecast was for possible light rain and light winds so I just took my tarp. I set it up half pyramid style to deflect the cold wind that was blowing down the valley and slept with my top half inside. The bivi bag kept my bottom half dry when some light rain did fall in the early hours. Bivi spot was ace but did take a while to find, everywhere was saturated and just oozed water when you stood on it, this bit had an area of longer,thicker grass that was just big enough to sleep on. A stronger rider probably could have ridden more but for me it was quicker and less tiring to just walk. Didn't see another soul once I got into the hills.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I know you are a pretty strong rider ray so conditions must have been tough. Will the tarp tent be used for the WRT?
Looks like you got yourself a GPS from the bike photo. ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Depends on the forecast for the WRT as to take tarp or tarptent and the GPS came from Stu, not had much time to play with it properly yet.