Would there be any interest? ... carbon pole content.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

u02sgb

Re: Would there be any interest? ... carbon pole content.

Post by u02sgb »

Stu, how tight a fit are the poles? Putting the trailstar up is easy with a walking pole as I stick it in the ground and throw the fly over the top. If it's separate poles I think they'd need to be reasonably snug to not fall apart during my hamfisted tent putting up (I'm trying to avoid saying erection....).

Would the carbon be affected by the glue in gaffer tape if I held them together using it?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, how tight a fit are the poles?
They're a sliding fit, if you hold the assembled pole from the top the bottom sections will slide off. The carbon's not effected by tape, etc.

I find my TS goes up well if I loosly peg it down, put the pole in place then retighten the lines.
May the bridges you burn light your way
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Ta, maybe need to change my technique. Definitely interested in a pole anyway, particularly if I can add a section to change the height.

When I looked into this before I was slightly worried about it being a 4 section pole as it meant the stress point in the centre was going to be a at a join. That's maybe not a big deal though.

Stu.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

By way of comparison, I bought a random fibreglass tent pole in Go Outdoors the other week. Cost under 2 squids, is 660mm long and weighs 79g.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

By way of comparison, I bought a random fibreglass tent pole in Go Outdoors the other week. Cost under 2 squids, is 660mm long and weighs 79g.
Well I can't compete with that ... but just make sure you're wearing eye protection in your sleeping bag, the glass poles can't half shatter given the right conditions ;)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:
Well I can't compete with that ... but just make sure you're wearing eye protection in your sleeping bag, the glass poles can't half shatter given the right conditions ;)
It is also crap by comparison - but just the ticket for a bit of experimentation. I'm really not a fan of cheap fibreglass poles actually :|
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You might find at that length it works fine, it's sideways deflection that'll kill it. What O/D is it ?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Using a ruler (as my vernier is in the garage), I would guess at:

O/D 9mm
I/D 3 or 4mm

So it's plenty stiff.

I suppose I could work out a theoretical capacity and the likelihood of it breaking. In fact, getting a 1 metre length pole that's lighter is fairly impressive as the bending moment is considerably larger compared to my 660mm length one.
I remember leaving my walking pole in the car once, so I used my rucksack instead to keep the tarp off my face :lol:
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Hi,
Found this today:
http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_in ... ts_id=1708

I like the simple telescoping bit. Far too wide though but thought you might be interested.

Stu.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hi,
Found this today:
http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_in ... ts_id=1708

I like the simple telescoping bit. Far too wide though but thought you might be interested.
Cheers Stu, I've been working on a couple of different ways to incorporate a locking mechanism. At present a simple hole/pin set up looks like a winner as it's light and there's nothing to break or go wrong.
Eoghan

Post by Eoghan »

Hi folks - long time lurker (well, about 6 months anyway) but first time poster. Not lurked for a while, partly because a few hours on forums always seem to lead to me spending plenty of £££ on something, and I have a wedding to plan for...

Anyhow, just adding my name to list of those interested. A cracking idea, definitely something that's telescopic is better but I wouldn't be fussed what "type" of telescopicity (hmmmm no, that's not a word, is it).

Anyhow, cracking forum, I've learned a hell of a lot already. You guys are inspirational
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Hello stu. Any update on the poles? I'm looking for one for a bearpaw lair so about 125 - 130 cm. I've got and MSR one at the moment. Does the job but a bit weighty. Alloy is fine with me. ;)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Zippy, a wrap with duct tape should negate any issues with splinters of the fibre glass poles
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Any further development on this yet?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any further development on this yet?
There's good news and there's slightly less good news.

The good news: Both the carbon and aluminium poles work fine, not too much flex, light and packable.

The less good news: The carbon is bloody expensive which obviously means the poles aren't cheap to make. This makes me think that carbon poles will only be of interest to a few folk, which in turn makes me think that everyone will have to be a custom order / one off. At the moment I'm just trying to work out the costings ... the carbon is available in 1M lengths, so I'm working out the fairest way of pricing poles over 1M.
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Brilliant.
What are the price option for 125cm and 130 ally and carbon as well as weigh please?

Thanks
Matt
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What are the price option for 125cm and 130 ally and carbon as well as weigh please?
No firm prices yet, sorry. I can tell you that a 1m carbon weighs 92g and a 1m aluminium weighs 85g. They're 3 section poles, so I'd expect the extra length to increase weight to about 100g and 95g.
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Aluminium will be fine by me i got a few weeks spare to test the best hight for my set up with my walking poles.
One question that puzzles me is how would i pitch the tarp over the poles with out damaging the tarp, is there a rumber buffer, loops to tie tie outs to, a pole fabric hood and loops ..? I ponder
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The poles have got domed plastic ends, they've also got a Dyneema loop at one end. If I'm concerned I usually put a glove / sock / buff between the pole end and tarp.
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Brillent
barney

Post by barney »

will definitely be making a purchase but will wait to see what the costs are before choosing

will measure up tonight but i imagine std 1m poles will do me fine

good work Stu.
Wait for me...