Odds of Spd cleats being seized

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Odds of Spd cleats being seized

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just wanted to get a second opinion if anyone wouldnt mind...

Recently just managed to secure some five10s off fleabay for fleabay prices (£17 since you ask and fiver postage 2nd class standard).

Asked the seller (before I've paid and even before he accepted the offer) if the cleats are siezed or not. No pics of undersole given and only states they have plentt life left in description.... No response to a couple messages before and after the acceptance...

Whats your thoughts on the probability of the cleats being stuck in there. I can only assume he doesnt wanna go and check then realize they're worth nothing (if for example the bolt is seized and/or only one half of the cleat is seized but the other comes out)... :smile: thanks for your thoughts
PaulB2

Re: Odds of Spd cleats being seized

Post by PaulB2 »

I reckon the odds are somewhere between 0 and 100. You’ll be able to firm up those numbers once you get the shoes...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Given that most normal mountainbikers don't spend hours plodging through mud and water you'll probably be OK. Skoosh a load of wd40 in under the cleat, leave the shoes sole up overnight, get a good fitting allen key, clean out the sockets in the bolt heads, insert allen key, give it some welly and they should crack. Worst case scenario is to drill out the heads. Even if you can't get the remains out (which should be possible as they wont be under load) you can use the other pair of threaded holes in the plate for new cleats.
redefined_cycles

Aha... thanks for that. I shall take them 0 to 100 odds then and make payment any minute now :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I'd be tempted to say the cleats (if Shimano) will outlast the 5.10 shoes :lol: :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

75 % chance that at least one of the bolts is seized.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Lazarus wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:56 pm 75 % chance that at least one of the bolts is seized.
And a 100% chance that it will be the last of the bolts you try to undo. Three will come out like a hot knife being pulled from a slab of butter, the last one will be like the sword in the stone.

Good luck
redefined_cycles

Already paid for and if I need to get out a drill (or probably a dremel in my case) and get some new plates then so be it...
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:56 pm 75 % chance that at least one of the bolts is seized.
Lets hope not... I texted (is that a word) you but most likely your numbers changed (or maybe you got sick of me getting spelling of name wrong :lol: or you don't fancy riding with someone thats slow :lol: )...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

2 % chance you cut yourself with the dremmel :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've always found it you can be bothered to clean out all the gunk from the bolt head so the Allen key actually fits properly, they always come undone. It's a shame you cannot get a cover for the heads to stop the gunk getting in there.
redefined_cycles

dlovett wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:48 pm I've always found it you can be bothered to clean out all the gunk from the bolt head so the Allen key actually fits properly, they always come undone. It's a shame you cannot get a cover for the heads to stop the gunk getting in there.
Melted candle wax should do the trick for that...

Yep, I always try to clead the hex hole out proper and then get my best wrench -Gorilla Grip - in there...

Lets see now if it turns out to be a bargain set of boots (17 quid :grin: )or a load of old cobblers
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Great idea, i’ll Try that.

Fingers crossed they work out ok.

Melted candle wax should do the trick for that...

Yep, I always try to clead the hex hole out proper and then get my best wrench -Gorilla Grip - in there...

Lets see now if it turns out to be a bargain set of boots (17 quid :grin: )or a load of old cobblers
[/quote]
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:37 pm
A cobbler (of any age) for 17 quid? That's amazing value :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:21 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:37 pm
A cobbler (of any age) for 17 quid? That's amazing value :grin:
Thanks Bob. I read your report of MTL after the birds beat your times.... I'm hoping to wear them Cobblers on Stan and go do MTL with an attempt to hit just half an hour slower than you guys (ie. 7hours).... If I manage I think it will be my indication to move the mtb mileage a bit higher :grin: maybe I'll try that super tough Yorkshire true grit