Silnylon or Silpoly

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Silnylon or Silpoly

Post by redefined_cycles »

Is there any real advantages or disadvantage of one over the other

Does one sag more than other or does the heavier material last longer/stay more waterproof etc etc etc...

My mind is saying to just go for the lighter (silpoly) but its gonna eventually be used for winter climates too (I'm hoping), with the addition of the stronger inner...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Silnylon or Silpoly

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There will be many variations in each piece of material but generally - nylon is stronger than polyester. Polyester absorbs less water than nylon. Polyester has less 'stretch' than nylon. Polyester has a better UV resistance than nylon.

Don't view stretch as an overly bad thing as it often allows for a tighter pitch ... but will usually sag more when wet, so catch 22. The lack of stretch may also place more stress of seams, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm not aware of any major issues that folk are having with Silnylon so I'd personally go for that as being lighter.

FWIW, SMD have recently gone over to Silpoly for the Lunar Solo, and have this to say on their website...
The Lunar Solo is now constructed with 100% Silicone coated Polyester material reducing fabric stretch and packed volume.
redefined_cycles

Excellent. Thanks kind sirs... so I will just go for the lighter one when it comes in stock :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not aware of any major issues that folk are having with Silnylon so I'd personally go for that as being lighter.
The nylon's heavier.
so I will just go for the lighter one when it comes in stock
That'll be the poly ... I'd probably go for the nylon version being that it's 40d rather than 20d.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh aye. Reading it as 1st option being 1st spec.
redefined_cycles

(Above shot of just the carcass/tarp)

Fsir po8nt on going for the stronger material Stu... But as I'm trying to cut down weight (on a budget) and the 20d still being (hopefully) stronger than the 15d silnylon that the newer Gatewood comes in... and the fact that the lighter version hopefully (as per upur mention above above) will have a stronger UV rating...

I'll probs still go for the lighter one at £120 and see how I gets on/in :-bd
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Got the new lunar solo in sil-poly. Seems good after one outing (thanks for the right sized pole Stu :). Didn't sag like sil-nylon can.

Still convinced I'm an idiot though as I did a fair bit of research and was convinced I needed the urethane(?) Sealant instead of the silicon one. It then all peeled off and I used the half finished tube of silicon I had to fix it.