A tale of two jackets

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

A tale of two jackets

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was doing an event yesterday that involved 70km of road riding and then 30km of MTB. Despite the preceding heatwave it decided to piss it down all day. I started off with an old (8 years maybe) Gore ActiveShell jacket over a jersey and arm warmers. I got soaked through. At transition I changed jacket to a new Gore ActiveShell jacket (thanks again Stu). When I'd finished the MTB section I was pretty much dry underneath. Jersey and arm warmers were barely damp.

I guess there's two things - Gore ActiveShell is pretty damn good when new(er) but what happens when it ages and is it ever possible to even partially restore or help maintain that performance? I've tried the usual Nikwax wash/proof combo but it seems to take a lot more than that.
redefined_cycles

Re: A tale of two jackets

Post by redefined_cycles »

Nikwax wash combo etc etc... but did you iron it whilst all still wet Colin??
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep. I've done all that - and more than once over the years. Seems it's an ever-decreasing renovation process. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from older kit, but the jacket is otherwise OK (zips work, no tears or holes). Seems a shame to bin it but if it can't keep me dry then it has failed at it's main purpose.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

If it still looks good and you're happy with the breathing compromise Colin. I'd be getting somwme of that Proper Wax they used for stuff like Barbour jackets and what not... i imagine that should seal it all up well :geek:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

When Gore Active was brought out, it had a limit to 50 washes, not a problem except that the jacket was SUPPOSED to be washed after every use!! I kid you not :|
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Is that why I saw a load of bikes on cars going the opposite way to me on the a9 today?

If it’s any help, have you tried double proofing it? I had a (non goretex) dwr jacket that I thought was properly past it- stuck it through a proper tech wash on its own then two reproofer cycles in a row. Still using it 3 years later.

The only downside is that it left a lot of reproofer in the machine- the next thing i washed was towels. Trying to dry yourself with a towel that beads water Is only as amusingly as it sounds briefly.
Tam

Post by Tam »

I have exactly the same problem. Maybe a 4 year old Active Shell jacket, tech washed, tx direct (tried both spray on and wash in), heated, air dried-tried it all. Sent it back to Gore as it was no longer keeping me dry and got it back 4 weeks later saying it was still waterproof. Total baloney.

It's a shame because it was a great jacket, comfy when worn directly against the skin and waterproof for a couple of years, but like you say-no longer fit for purpose.

Anyone any long term experience with a waterproof which still works?
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I have a basic endura that just appears to rain heavier on the inside than the out.

So the other day I wore my trusty Paramo Ciclolight with nothing under neath - fab,
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got a 15 year old jacket that I got from REI that's as waterproof as it was when I first bought it but then again it's only good for an hour or so of rain. I've got an endura pakajak that's good as a spray guard but not a lot else and water leaks down the arms. My commuter jacket, an altura night vision, stayed waterproof through 8 hours of rain during storm callum barring where I'd not done the zip up fully at the neck but the material seemed to just soften up and tore from seam to seam when I caught the rear light fitting on my saddle. I've never sprung for Goretex so I can't really compare.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The Columbia Outdry fabric is supposed to be the solution to this in that the DWR coating doesn't wear off (because there isn't one). Too early to say as I've only had mine a year, but it's had pretty heavy use, including with a rucksack, and shows no sign of letting anything through.