water conundrum

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

water conundrum

Post by barney »

my biggest problem when out bivi’ing is that I know I take too much water, last year on the WRT I actually came back with water I’d being carrying since the start. This year I’m determined not to make that mistake again.

When it comes to food I tend to use the boil in the bag type and then use the leftover water for drinks to save water but still I’m always too cautious and carry extra.

What do people do in terms of a typical 3 day ride like the WRT…

How much water do you set off with?
Do you plan you route specifically around places to refill like shops and pubs?
If you have to use streams/rivers what are the best (on a reasonable budget) purification methods?

all answers greatly appreciated please

cheers
Wait for me...
u02sgb

Re: water conundrum

Post by u02sgb »

Hi,
I mainly go out in Scotland so purification isn't really an issue. I carry some water on my back in a camelbak (maybe 1-2 liters). I also carry a Platypus 2 litre bottle that I have rolled up in my pack and I'll fill it up at the last water source before I make camp. It fits in the side pocket of my rucksack fairly easily.

http://cascadedesigns.com/en/platypus/w ... le/product

<edit>You'll need something to fill this up with if you're doing it from a stream. I use my mug to pour water in</edit>

I started off carrying too much water too until I went on a 4 day trip and only ran out of water on the third day. Suddenly realised I'd been carrying all of that and I still needed to fill up from a stream so why didn't I do it on the first day!

Stu.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Used to carry loads of water too until I released how much it was adding to my pack weight. Then went to refilling from Mountain streams until I heard horror tales from Chew and Stu from doing this with out a water filter. I now use a travel tap;

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/hydration/PA101.html

Cant recommend it highly enough. Flow not quite up there with a regular water bottle but good enough, and its rare that I cant find water to refill it with before its empty.

Allegedly you can use any water source but psychologically I still like it to look clean and be moving :?
Matt

Post by Matt »

1 x 750ml Water Bottle
1 x Travel Tap (Empty)

Found this works well, when my water bottle starts to run low I bear this in mind and the next time I see water (in Wales probably about 6 yards) I fill the Travel Tap and then decant into my water bottle until it's full again.

I've never run out and no need to carry more than 750ml*

*When stopped & cooking I do need more so fill both up. ;)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Got this:

http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/hydration-f ... system.htm

Not used in anger yet. Think FF and Stu use a platypus system as well.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Got this:

http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/hydration-f ... system.htm

Not used in anger yet. Think FF and Stu use a platypus system as well.
I use one of these too, on a bottle originaly but found it really hard to suck. Now on a bladder system which is easier but still a bit hard so a good squeeze on the bladder as your sucking helps (bladder is frame mounted in a bag).
Not sure how some of you are coming back with water after 2 nights out. I go through over 3 litres a day. 1 to 2l to drink whilst moving, 0.4l to cook rice/pasta, 0.4l for custard, 0.8l for morning coffee/evening tea and lastly 0.25l if i'm having muesli for brekkie.
HUX

Post by HUX »

Travel tap here too. I've used 1 for several years and never had any problems. Just fill an empty platypus just before setting up camp for tea/dinner and breakfast. i usually carry a few high5 tablets to make up a drinks bottle for the next day,they weigh next to nothing and saves drinking plain water.
Here: just find the cleanest water you can to prolong the life,had mine ages!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... D9W0NQSCZB
Cornish Neil

Post by Cornish Neil »

On multi day trips I now carry 2 standard water bottles. Depending on where we are getting water from I use water purification tablets, one bottle will be good for drinking from whilst the other is being treated (takes 15mins or so). I always camp close enough to water to not need to carry any to a camp spot.
Time would be better spent getting the miles in instead of fretting about how many ml of meths to carry...