Advice please - Converting a commuter to a gravel bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisF

Advice please - Converting a commuter to a gravel bike

Post by ChrisF »

I’d like to convert my Genesis Day One to a gravel type bike. Questions:
The frame has clearance for 38mm tyres. I’ll use it for a mix of stuff, not just fire roads, mostly in the Peak where I live. I’ll avoid anything too rocky. Is 38 a bit small? What are people using?
It has horizontal dropouts, I’m thinking of rebuilding the back wheel around a hub gear. I’ve never used one. Trying not to spend too much so an Alfine 8 speed looks possible. Any thoughts?
Lazarus

Re: Advice please - Converting a commuter to a gravel bike

Post by Lazarus »

UCI limit is still 32 c so yes that is fine

Never ridden proper off road with anything bigger than 32 but I advise tubeless or getting used to pinch flats at those sizes
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Tyres - I ride round the Peak quite happily on 38c G-Ones (actually come up as 40.5mm) in the summer, WTB Resolutes in the winter (43mm actual). At the weekend I managed the Plantation descent at Stanage, Shatton Moor/Bradwell Edge, Chapel Gate, Jaggers Clough, Winstone Lee Tor and Devil's Elbow on the Resolutes. I did however get a hole in the sidewall coming down off WLT just before the Ladybower Inn. If you're planning on staying away from the rocky stuff I reckon you'll be fine.
Alfine 8 - I can't stand the bloomin' things.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Alfine 8 - I can't stand the bloomin' things
Dare I ask why?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've ridden two, both on borrowed bikes.

The first bike was horrendously neglected, the chain was worn to the extent it kept coming off the sprockets, and the shifter cable was utterly gunged up, so I couldn't release tension on it to shift into lower gears - I had to stop at the bottom of each climb to pull it through manually at the hub end. This is probably not the truest review of their performance, but...

The second one, the hub had just been serviced, and was running fine. It just felt like pedalling through treacle though. I didn't find the shifting very precise either. By comparison to a derailleur mech, even if the indexing goes out of whack slightly, I can usually shift by "feel" - slowly adding a little more pressure to the shift lever/slight over-shifting, that kind of hing. I couldn't do that with the Alfine.

All that said, there seem to be plenty of fans out there.*
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

*They're just wrong.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I get the message :grin:
Maybe I should look at a bolt on mech hanger for a horiz dropout frame....
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've got an alfine 8 on my Pinnacle Arkose.
I maintain it well and have had zero issues with it. 5000 miles in and it's had 2 new chains (cheap single speed ones).
Just had it back from it's first hub service and the mechanic showed me photos of the internals. It looks as new as the day it left the factory.

It's not as direct feeling as a derailleur but it has advantages - cost, ease of maintenance and you can shift gear when stationary at traffic lights.

I use this bike for commuting, touring and gravel riding/light off road.
jameso

Post by jameso »

ChrisF, let me know if you do convert it, the Day One Alfine was my work* when I was at Genesis and I have the non-turn washer numbers and chainline references somewhere if needed.

*Sorry Landslide :grin:
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Cheers James, I didn’t know there was a Day One Alfine. :-bd
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Ride down lots of things in the Peak on my single speed crosser which has 35mm tyres. Can tackle most things apart from rock gardens like Cave Dale and the Beast.

Use Schwalbe Landcruisers and inner tubes. Cheap, heavy, but the sidewalls are as stiff as a board which means I hardly get any pinch flats.