Great British Divide.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Great British Divide.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, there only appears to be a fb page and not a website. Be interesting to see how much actually follows the UK 'divide'. A quick glance would suggest Wales in reasonably close(ish).

https://www.facebook.com/greatbritishdi ... Qj3MD_MN8U
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Re: Great British Divide.

Post by sean_iow »

That looks interesting, especially if they manage the 75%+ off road bias. I see they are planning on south to north. As I live in the south it's never occurred to me to ride it that way round but I can see that it's a nicer place to finish.

The only thing with going north, it's all uphill? :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
touch

Post by touch »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:05 pm A quick glance would suggest Wales in reasonably close(ish).
Scotland, not so much...
Finishes in Applecross - missing out about 1/3rd of the country?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, I mean the actual watershed ... after all, that's why the Great Divide / Tour Divide is what it is. Not simply a matter of going down the middle.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Whatever route they've picked it's certainly not the watershed. Compromised by surface choice I reckon.

Northbound should take advantage of the prevailing winds.
touch

Post by touch »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:52 pm Sorry, I mean the actual watershed ... after all, that's why the Great Divide / Tour Divide is what it is. Not simply a matter of going down the middle.
That's what I mean, but didn't explain very well.
The Scottish watershed does go close(ish) to Applecross on the west coast, but it continues several hundred miles after that to the coast near John O'Groats.
I'm not sure what's significant about Applecross that it should be the finish line? Maybe to do with terrain as ScotRoutes said.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Doesn't Applecross have the longest road climb in the UK or something?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dan_K wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:08 pm Doesn't Applecross have the longest road climb in the UK or something?
Bealach-na-Ba, Applecross, Highlands

This is it: the Holy Grail, the toughest and wildest climb in Britain. Anything you have read or been told about this amazing road is likely to be true. Believe the hype. The majority of Scotland's roads stick to valleys as there's no need to cross the mountains but here they link the village of Applecross with the rest of the world by taking the route over the top of Bealach-na-Ba. It is an incredible climb both ways but the road from Tornapress, heading north-west, is just vaguely exciting. Do not attempt to ride here in unfavourable conditions. Check the forecast before you head out and be prepared for harsher weather at the top. Leave the head of Loch Kishorn, turn left and you're on your way, soon passing the large sign warning of the various dangers that lie ahead. It's not too steep to begin with but as the road bends hard left at the base of an almighty tower of rock, then the gradient increases. Now climbing steeply, this slither of rough road clinging precariously to the mountainside bends hard right to deliver you into a true wilderness. Apart from the few cars that travel this route, you're more likely to have wary, onlooking deer for company, as they track your slow progress up the mountain. Up ahead, eventually the final bends come into view, just as the gradient gets brutal on the long weather-beaten 20% slope that tests your legs to the limit. After all that has preceded it, the finale – a set of four hairpin bends – may be all too much, but fear not. The road levels between the sharp bends giving you a chance to attack each wicked corner then gather yourself in time for the next. Zig-zag past cascading waterfalls, amidst the brief protection of rocky outcrops to exit this tangle of tarmac and round one final left hand to finish.

Where Turn off the A896 and head east just before Tornapress. Round the end of Loch Kishorn and follow the signs to Applecross, up and over Bealach-na-Ba. Grid Ref: NG 775 423 (OS24)

Length 8980m
Height gain 623m
Approx climb time 37 mins
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Do we think this will be an ITT style or a £2000 and get yer ar5e wiped by virgins at the pre made glampsite kind of thing?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I suspect both like LEJOG- ie companies will support you if you pay but heroes will do it solo self supported
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do we think this will be an ITT style or a £2000 and get yer ar5e wiped by virgins at the pre made glampsite kind of thing?
Given that it's being run via a fb page, I'd be inclined to think dirt bag ITT ... could be wrong, might have sponsors and dancing girls waiting in the wings :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sign me up!
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'll just leave this here

http://www.aidanharding.com/ewe/
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Aidan wa working on an update to EWE a few years back when I was contemplating an attempt. Some sections of it can be improved I believe. Not sure where he got with it.