Norway bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Joe

Norway bikepacking

Post by Joe »

Hi All,

I'm heading to Norway in June for a couple of weeks kayaking and I have convinced my mate to take my bike so hopefully I can do a few days bikepacking while I'm up there :grin: and I'm looking for some advice from anyone that has bikepacked there. We are staying near Otta which is near the Rondane National Park.

Does anyone know where I can get decent maps before I go? (or maybe when I get there)

What are the rules around rights of way for cyclists? Can I cycle on footpaths?

Anyone know what sort of temperatures I should expect, particularly at night?

Thanks in advance for any help.
ton

Re: Norway bikepacking

Post by ton »

I am heading to Norway in 2 weeks for a couple of weeks road touring. lofoten isles.

I am also heading back next year to ride the Rallarvegan, which has some good offroad sections to explore.
looking at the map it looks ideal for a spot of bikepacking.
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

This is from OsmAnd of Norway.

Useful?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Joe wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:03 am Hi All,

I'm heading to Norway in June for a couple of weeks kayaking and I have convinced my mate to take my bike so hopefully I can do a few days bikepacking while I'm up there :grin: and I'm looking for some advice from anyone that has bikepacked there. We are staying near Otta which is near the Rondane National Park.

Does anyone know where I can get decent maps before I go? (or maybe when I get there)

What are the rules around rights of way for cyclists? Can I cycle on footpaths?

Anyone know what sort of temperatures I should expect, particularly at night?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I'm heading to Norway in August; was also going in a couple of weeks (end of May); however, was informed the route i was intending to ride might not be clear of snow. :o

Maps ....i bought mine from Garmin

Temperatures ....all i did there was look on Google. There is a helpful group on Facebook,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bicycle ... kepacking/
Joe

Post by Joe »

Thanks for the replies, I should've said I'm after paper maps because I don't do the GPS.

I'll bear the snow in mind, I'd rather avoid that so maybe I'll stay at lower altitudes.
RichinNW

Post by RichinNW »

Hi
Try the Upton Map Shop. Their website will give a list of what they stock. If you ever get a chance to call in it’s worth it just to flick through the guide books and maps and check out places you’ve thought about visiting.

It’s the outdoors person equivalent of a record aficionado flicking through vinyl looking for a rare find.

Rich
sunrise, sunsets, the seasons, time with family and mates: A life well lived.
RIP

Post by RIP »

That's one definition of heaven - being able to flick through maps and vinyl in the same shop.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster