Gravel gearing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Gravel gearing

Post by Taylor »

My gravel bike has 32/11 on the back in 9 speed flavour, can I Chuck a 9 speed 34/11 MTB cassette on without to much bother?
I need to change the chain soon so I thought I'd take the opportunity to sneak another couple of teeth in if it's possible.
Ta
middleagedmadness

Re: Gravel gearing

Post by middleagedmadness »

Sora do a 11-34 cassette Taylor, it's on the back of my cdf from new
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Why not go with a 36 can't see it being a bother really other than a few extra links :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

All depends what rear mech you're running Taylor. Running on 32 rear largest sprocket. Was that something that the bike came with standard from the shops. If so its probably well within the limits of the rear mech - shimano normally specify at least 2 teeth less for advisory on their mechs so many people much of the time have gotten away with going above and beyond the mechs advised capabilities... In this case a 34 from 32 shouldnt really be much a problem.

Generally speaking (and I'm not a pro at gravel groupsets as such which in my books is just whatever the builder mixed and matched to get a good low climbing gear) the higher the grade of rear mech... then the lower the teeth it can take. This rule is for shimano generally (and if it Campag then you may aswell forget about it and cont in the 32).

So... without gwtting into cage lengths... if youve got a sor or 105 then most likely your good to go and try it alll... if its an ultegra of yesteryear then a 32 is already pushing its capabilities and you may aswell stick with 32... if its dura ace of yesteryear then even a 28 rear sprocket is almost on the verge of its limits.

Another thing you could do is. Buy the chain and cassette but also grab a wolftooth (or whatever they're called.. roadlink!?) which would most definitely add a couple teeth or more capabilities.

Dont forget the golden rule of... measure twice, cut once (in this case your new chain) as you might needs to forward thinks it through a little
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

short version - see how much difference the mech you have can take

If enough [probably is] then go for it
if not then either get a longer b screw*,a goat link**, or new mech [ starts at cheapest ends at the dearest]

* may not work on its own
** https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/goatlink
much cheaper on ebay though its unbranded china ware
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Taylor wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:32 pm My gravel bike has 32/11 on the back in 9 speed flavour, can I Chuck a 9 speed 34/11 MTB cassette on without to much bother?
I need to change the chain soon so I thought I'd take the opportunity to sneak another couple of teeth in if it's possible.
Ta
That climb out of Cheddar eh,?? :wink:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

You're still planning on joining me on that climb, aren't you?
Cheers everybody.
FLV

Post by FLV »

depends on the kit.

For reference, I have an 11-34 cassette and a 50/34 chainset. Standard Ultegra road mech.

All works fine, no extra goat link or anything needed.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Taylor wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:23 pm You're still planning on joining me on that climb, aren't you?
Cheers everybody.
oh yes. Might cut back on the clotted cream and cake just before it this year though....
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

You 2 planning on Everesting Cheddar Gorge?? :-bd
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

I went to an 11-36 but had to put a 105 deraileur and a road link on , works a treat , :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sunrace do an 11-40 9 speed cassette. If you use a normal non shadow rear mech it works fine. Bung a 34 on the front and you'll get up most gravel based climbs :-bd