Bivvy a month 2019

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Re: Bivvy a month 2019

Post by petemaz »

Pinching darbeze's method, linky to Instagram rather than trying to post pics. This is my April BaM:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwz_3pDpDCk ... p6sylm8hix

petemaz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:56 pm April done last night, so 4/4 for the year. A short trip again in rural south Perthshire. Decent weather, cute wee lambs jumping around but boy it took an age to find a pitch not covered in sheep-sh!t Oh and lots of ticks as well.. 🙄
Loki

Post by Loki »

I am finally on the scoreboard for 2019 with a quick night out on Saturday, a bit fresh first thing but a great clear night with lots of stars, I have a second planned for the last weekend of the month as well.

ImageIMG_20190504_204608 by Simon Kirk, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190504_195103 by Simon Kirk, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20190505_054908 by Simon Kirk, on Flickr

More here https://slowlycycling.wordpress.com/201 ... et-button/
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
RIP

Post by RIP »

WRT. 5/5, 5/12, 40/40 (the beat goes on)

20190505_142637 by Reg
Last edited by RIP on Mon May 06, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

5/12 -29 in a row

May ticked off with the WRT, cold one with frozen water bottles. My lad was ok though he had the winter bag and a fleece onesie :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

May done with WRT but thinking a cheeky Friday next week may be done.
I'm just going outside ...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Be nice to sheep :wink:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
paramart

Post by paramart »

6/6 with the wrt for me
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

May done, 5/5 with the longer LHC group, fantastic weekend and 1st time WRT..defo back next year
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Add me in zippy ,may done with wrt
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

WRTLHC Ride, mine and Sams bivvy on a footpath by a nice flowing Brook...

Image20190505_065104-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

or in the graveyard with the deadly serious, WIlliam WIlliamson.

Image20190504_054749-01 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

or an undisclosed location

[url=Icanttellyou]
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Add Cath and myself for May please Chris - two nights on a pedal around the Capital Trail.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mountainposture

Post by mountainposture »

5/5 here as well with a lovely jaunt out for WRT. That first night was certainly on the chilly side
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

5/5 - 37th in a row with 3 nights bivi'ing at the WRT, herding cats on the long LHC ride

PS, ok who's edited my name? I prefer The Undulater

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

John 'undulates' Climber wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:19 pm PS, ok who's edited my name?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Aaaw! The anticlimax... WRT done for another twelvemonth :sad:

Before I say anything else, I must add my many thanks to those of others' to Stu & Dee. This event is the highlight of my cycling year and it would be a much duller place without it. :-bd

Anyway May BAM done,.Twice. 5/5

Two bivvies. Bivvy 1 in a forest with no name, but close to Llanwddyn :-
I'd got cold riding into a very chilly wind and I was shivering while setting up camp. A hot cup of tea and a marzipan bar helped. In bed with a hot water (platypus) bottle, after a meal of pasta I was toasty and slept 'til just before dawn when a cuckoo started shouting at the top of his voice. If I could've got my hands on him ......

My knee had started to hurt after about 25 miles and by the time I'd reached my planned stop, I could barely walk. A funny thing - it was less painful to pedal than to push. It was OK while the joint was compressed, but agony when I swung my leg to walk. Even funnier, throughout the rest of the ride the pains would switch on and off.

Day 2 was down to Y Trallwng. (where?) I was going to stop here for lunch but it was too early, so I pressed on along the Montgomery canal towpath, getting bored. It's quite nice in parts though...

At Y Drenewydd (Newtown. Sorry, just having a bit of fun :smile: ) It was a chicken kebab and a visit to the Spar for supplies.

For bivvy 2 I had to sleep on the ground. This was because I'd got to my planned spot too early, so carried on in the hope of finding some trees to pitch up in. It was not to be and I ran out of steam up a mountain, close to Llyn Y Tarw . Lucky I brought ground-dwelling kit, (Neoair and groundsheet) just in case.
I was a bit worried by the spread of used shotgun cartridges where I had to pitch..
...and for a while after going to bed I twitched at every little sound from outside, but 49 miles, 6000 ft of climbing and half a flask of port put a stop to that. :smile:

Bivvy 2...
I started setting up to use the bike as a pole, but a 10x10 tarp is a bit too big for that. Luckily, the site had been used as a dumping ground by the farmer and an old fence post was drafted in to make a pyramid. It didn't quite work - it was all a bit flappy. Note to self, make sure the ground sheet doesn't stick out from under the edge of the tarp when it's raining. Yup, water ran under and pooled under the sleeping mat. I slept high and dry on top.

Having pinched a few miles from my last days' ride the previous day, day 3 was a doddle. Down to Carno where there was a car boot sale on, with the promise of refreshments. A bacon bap ("We're not doing eggs, sorry"), a mug of tea and a slice of bara brith came at just the right time. Then past the "No access to wind farm" notice, up to and through the wind farm down to Pont Crugnant. "Too early to go back yet", I thought and turned away fromBB Towers to visit the Spirit horse camp, where I was given a mug of tea and had a chat - life, the universe and all that

Then at last, back to the ranch for cake. I'd never got back so early before - lots of folks still coming in with smiley faces.

At home, after a shower, I found I'd picked up a passenger
a tick nymph. Soon pulled out with a tick tool, but now I'm paranoid about every new itch....

Good Times! :grin:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

5/5 on the WRT for me. Bloody great weekend! Far more tarmac than usual for us. We felt a little fraudulant getting back to BB Towers relatively clean!

We used John Climber's LHC route as far as Welshpool, then did our own thing. There was so much downhill to Welshpool, we thought of a new name for John....

"Juan Descent!" Every time we rolled downhill we ended up shouting his new name to our own amusement. Childish I know, but we had fun...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxJrgdJjE4t/

Si
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

5/5. 7th in a row

Give the dirt a little room.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

May comprehensively ticked off.

Two nights on the WRT. First night with The Undulator's LHC in the luxurious surrounds of the Bull and Heifer's meadow, and the second with Steve's shorter LHC on a path somewhere in the woods.

Then I spent this weekend guiding five folk from the LFGSS forum around the Peak District. Two days of the finest trails I could pack into a reasonably coherent route, wood-fired pizza, and a decent dent put in my whisky supply.

2019 BAM 5/5
2019 total bivvies 7
Current streak (months) 6
javatime

Post by javatime »

May done 4/4 I started in February

May was looking full on the home front, so a fairly local trip. Had a free ticket for Bespoked Bristol so spent a couple of hours there on Friday afternoon catching up with old faces and looking at new frames. Yes it is peak bike geekery, lots of off road bikes, some still muddy, fancy lugwork and top end components but equally intrigued by the disparate cycling tribes. I am sure that many dress specially up in semi-retro road bike finery to attend, whilst Eric (Winter Bikes) is down to his vest showing his ink ! A couple of less conventional machines below.
Out through the rush hour then onto the Festival Way for a traffic free route out towards Nailsea and a very nice pie/pint at the Blue Flame. Under cover of dusk as the sky went red headed a few miles down through Chelvey for an overnight in the bluebell woods. A good night, never knew it had rained and the usual 6.00 am awakening from an Easyjet take off to…..Malaga ?
A cup of tea and hot bag of porridge, then familiar tracks and quiet lanes around Backwell Hill. I managed to find an easier way into Yorkhouse Cave that would make fun overnight on another time, and then to Barrow Gurney and back to Long Ashton with the big grind on the small ring up Providence Hill to swoop down from the quarry into Ashton Court. Coffee and poached eggs on toast at home.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done and good encouragement... May will be my 3rd with the 1st one in March being a filthy spot I bivvied at... Definitely dont wanna lose the oppostunity of that lovely badge in month 12...

Must keep reminding self
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

May BAM in progress.

It's a high one

DSC_0368 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode
RIP

Post by RIP »

Did you manage to perch a final teeny-tiny-weeny pebble on top of the cairn? :smile:

Erm, was going to be an additional May BaM tonight but have been told I'm not allowed because I still have a sore throat from the Undertones and WRT two weeks ago :sad: . Was hoping it was just going to be "wrap up well dear and put a scarf on" but no. Which is a shame because it was going to be a gigpacking(TM) situation after The Rutles at Milton Keynes Stables. Sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54KBPA20b9Q. The pre-fab four! Well can you tell the difference? :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:14 am Did you manage to perch a final teeny-tiny-weeny pebble on top of the cairn? :smile:
Sand :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2019/05/ ... bivvy.html

Very nice night spent at altitude. Learnt/put into practice a few things showing it's all still a learning process. :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"sand" :lol: indeed.

As you said, some interesting features of that BaM, re moon, condensation etc. I liked the "flashed the wife from the summit" bit; for a moment I didn't realise you meant the torch, so pretty impressive from that distance. And even with the torch too.