NC500 video

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

NC500 video

Post by whitestone »

Marc Beaumont and Si Whatshisname from GCN do the NC500 in 3 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J2gAY-WZhU

Pretty good with some stunning shots, honest about stopping in a hotel for night one as well. Looks like the Bumpy Road past Drumbeg was hard work for them :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lawmanmx

Re: NC500 video

Post by Lawmanmx »

Cheers Bob, enjoyed that pal, we're heading up there on friday for a couple of weeks :D Cannae wait :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:45 pm Marc Beaumont and Si Whatshisname from GCN do the NC500 in 3 days.
Well, some of it...
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

what part of the Cairngorms are you Scotroutes?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lawmanmx wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:52 am what part of the Cairngorms are you Scotroutes?
Aviemore. This is the view from my house (last night).

2019-04-29_09-05-42 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Lovely :D we will be passing through about 10 or 11 days in (12th or 13th) (and probably wildcamping) in Aviemore if you want to hook up for a ride? IF you are free of course?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Sure PM me when closer to the time and plans known, or if you want any other assistance.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Nice one, will do :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks for the link. John did send me it in a message but I forgot. That reminded me. One of the better GCN videos
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

ScotRoutes wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 pm
whitestone wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:45 pm Marc Beaumont and Si Whatshisname from GCN do the NC500 in 3 days.
Well, some of it...
So, what would you have done differently?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:45 pm
Well, some of it...
If I was going to do the NC500 - and make a video if it - then I'd do all of it, not skip Caithness completely.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

ScotRoutes wrote: โ†‘Wed May 01, 2019 1:23 am
Well, some of it...
If I was going to do the NC500 - and make a video if it - then I'd do all of it, not skip Caithness completely.

After the A99 it's not an amazing ride on the A9. South of Golspie didn't really inspire me, granted it is a lot flatter, but just a bit busy and not as pretty, obviously.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: โ†‘Wed May 01, 2019 1:23 am
Well, some of it...
TBF Colin, they were upfront about not following the official route to get "better" riding in - would you choose the main road via Ledmore Junction or the Mad Wee Road for example? It's a pity that there's no minor road or roads close to the A9 to head down the east coast - I've driven the A9 a few times and I really wouldn't want to ride it on a bike.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

i've driven the A9 a few times and I really wouldn't want to ride it on a bike.
When I done it I was surprised on how good the cars were. I did have 5 rear lights on though...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, they avoided the "nice" bit of the A9 / A99 and used the busy bit :lol:

There's an option to use the Loch Brora and Loch Buidhe routes to avoid some of the A9 North of Tain, then the Struie to Alness and pick up NCN1 if not doing the Nigg ferry.

Karen Newman has created some really good content on cycling the NC500, including recommended diversions off the "official" route.

https://www.northcoast500.com/author/karen-newman/

I think most of her stuff is available through Facebook now.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Bob for the orginal post (and thus bringing it to attention) and thanks the rest for the high level discussion on the actual route..

So what we're saying (ie. Colin, what you're saying :-bd being a local and all that) is that one would be better off just riding the original route rather than following smartyPants Mark Beaumonts detour to a nicer but then busier/faater road thereafter... :smile:
redefined_cycles

That famous climb they mentioned from the famous climbs list (100 greatest climbs book by Simon Warren they must be referring to) with a complicated name... Its on my wish list you see.

The other 'hard to get to' climb will be getting ticked off in the next few months on a sportive (Elan Velo) around Wales (there'll be BBQ post ride :-bd )... Climb is called Devils Staircase...

Anyone done it (DS) and able to comment on its toughness as compared to stuff like Shibden Wall/The Burway/Asterton Bank (both around Long Mynd) and/or Rosedale Chimney (would be great) :-bd

Sorry for going off topic...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: โ†‘Wed May 01, 2019 9:52 am Thanks Bob for the orginal post (and thus bringing it to attention) and thanks the rest for the high level discussion on the actual route..

So what we're saying (ie. Colin, what you're saying :-bd being a local and all that) is that one would be better off just riding the original route rather than following smartyPants Mark Beaumonts detour to a nicer but then busier/faater road thereafter... :smile:
LOL - There are lots of lovely roads in that area. The one between Tongue and Lairg is amongst my very favourites. There is a feeling that Caithness is missing out (amongst the locals). It's therefore a bit of a shame to see it being skipped. I could get it if the decision had been made to choose a nicer road but to then head onto the A9 in any case seems a bit... perverse. The "Wee Mad Road of Inverpolly" is, on the other hand, a completely sensible diversion. It avoids the "main" road and, being off the NC500 on account of its narrow, twisty nature, also avoids many of the boy racer and over-large motorhome crowd.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

redefined_cycles wrote: โ†‘Wed May 01, 2019 9:57 am That famous climb they mentioned from the famous climbs list (100 greatest climbs book by Simon Warren they must be referring to) with a complicated name... Its on my wish list you see.

The other 'hard to get to' climb will be getting ticked off in the next few months on a sportive (Elan Velo) around Wales (there'll be BBQ post ride :-bd )... Climb is called Devils Staircase...

Anyone done it (DS) and able to comment on its toughness as compared to stuff like Shibden Wall/The Burway/Asterton Bank (both around Long Mynd) and/or Rosedale Chimney (would be great) :-bd

I've done it both sides. Pisses all over the climbs you mention which I have also done.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I have suggested before that doing the NC500 anti-clockwise might be better in that you are building up to things like the west coast, Torridon, Bealach na Ba, etc. rather than the "we've got X far along the north coast, JoG is a bit of a dump and there's not that much on the east coast, let's cut down this quiet road" thoughts/attitude.
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: โ†‘Wed May 01, 2019 11:02 am
redefined_cycles wrote: โ†‘Wed May 01, 2019 9:57 am That famous climb they mentioned from the famous climbs list (100 greatest climbs book by Simon Warren they must be referring to) with a complicated name... Its on my wish list you see.

I've done it both sides. Pisses all over the climbs you mention which I have also done.
Thanks Dave... Devils Staircase being tougher than Asterton Bank :o ... Sounds like its gonna be painful. Best get a 34 sprocket ordered for the current build of the steel bike then I guess...