Sleeping bag repair

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Sleeping bag repair

Post by In Reverse »

Broke the zip on my summer bag at the weekend. Anyone know anyone who does repairs/alterations on this sort of stuff?

It was relatively expensive (Spark SP1, thick end of £300 at the time with import taxes) so thought I'd try to find someone who's used to dealing with similar gear before I take it to the bloke up the road who repairs the ripped arses in my baggy shorts and work trousers :oops:
redefined_cycles

Re: Sleeping bag repair

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have an email from Alpkit I think.. if they said it I take it as an endorsement... copy and paste coming through:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Shafiq,

I'm afraid replacing the zip on your bag comes up more expensive than a new bag would. It would actually take more time than making a new bag as the factory would need to fully dismantle your bag, change the zip and then put it all together again. The factory manager has quoted £120 to do this, plus £15 if you wanted us to provide the zip too.

While we'd love to be able to help people keep their kit going as long as possible, the Alpkit factories time has to be focused on production at the end of the day. This means that any time they take from making new product comes in at quite a high price. Most repairs that we do here are done by us in the CS team, but we don't have the skills to do this one, it would have to be factory staff with their expert sewing skills.

We do, however, have a dedicated repair station at our Hathersage shop. If you get in touch with the shop directly they might be able to help you out here. Alternatively, there are several dedicated repairs companies that I can recommend. Lancashire Sports Repairs and Scottish Mountain Gear both do great work.

(Love... the nice people at Alpkit)*

*They didnt really say that but they are aren't they :grin:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Give reg a pm ,he sends his bags off somewhere to be cleaned properly ,if that man dosent do it then he may be able to put you in touch with someone
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Maybe try Mountaineering Designs, http://www.mountaineering-designs.co.uk ... rod_REPAIR.

I can't speak to their repairs but their cleaning service is excellent.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep Mountaineering Designs is the place I've used for quite a while. Nice bloke, and extremely knowledgeable.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ripio

Post by ripio »

Scottish Mountain Gear
£14 for new slider or £40 for complete new zip.
https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/re ... eping-bags