Lightweight shelter for dogpacking?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tomwardill

Lightweight shelter for dogpacking?

Post by tomwardill »

Hi all,

I'm hoping to start taking my dog out with me for longer rides, and need to find a shelter for him and me. He's quite a large dog, so the one person tarp tents like the Lunar Solo appear to be out.
Essentially the requirements come to:
  • Dog must be inside with me and contained, so I don't have to worry about him wandering off after whatever he's just heard/smelt.
  • As light as possible, already got enough stuff to cart around for him.
  • Strong floor to prevent him breaking it
  • As cheap as possible! I'm not averse to spending some money on it, but if it doesn't work out, I'd rather not have something really expensive that I then can't use.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Lightweight shelter for dogpacking?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe one of the Luxe pyramid shelters? Plenty of room and some have a double sized inner.

https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/page/1/

If you can track down a Eureka Lone Tree 3, that would do the job too.

If you don't fancy a pyramid, then any 2 man tent should do the job really. People say good things about the Alpkit Ordos 2 but it might be a rouch spendy: https://www.alpkit.com/products/ordos-2

A Wildcountry Helm 2 or 3 perhaps?
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Really need to read things properly ,thought it said lightweight shelter for dogging ,in my head it was wtf is going on today :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

middleagedmadness wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:55 am Really need to read things properly ,thought it said lightweight shelter for dogging ,in my head it was wtf is going on today :lol:
It wasn't just you :grin:

My initial thought was why bother with a shelter, isn't the whole point that it's meant to be out in the open? Then I read the title again.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping a layer of Tyvek INSIDE the groundsheet will prevent our mutt's claws from making a mess of it.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Sadly my dog passed away recently, but when he would come camping I used a MLD supermid. No floor meant nothing to ruin with feet and he could come in filthy and not ruin anything! He'd often go for a swim in whatever water was nearby
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Bit OT but what are you doing about a sleeping bag for the dog? My dog is a Spaniard and feels the cold so I've not taken him camping so far. Luckily he is small and would fit under my SMD tarp.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've taken my son camping a few times with a 4x4 tarp set up like the one below using an extendable pole at about 5'2" inches high, so heaps of head room. He is a lot muckier than my dog and his toe nails far longer and sharper than the dog's claws. Feet like a hobbit. Gets them from his mother's side.

If it has to be a tent, we have an MSR Elixir 2 that I like a lot. It's not too heavy at 2kg (split between two people anyway) and for about £200 I think it's a very good value, very tough, good size 3-season tent. Bit of tyvek on the inside as suggested above would be a good insurance policy, but the ground sheet is pretty robust.

Re sleeping arrangements for the dog. Mine gets to snuggle in with me because she's only widdle. If she were any bigger, she'd be on a piece off CCF with my old Alpkit down quilt thing wrapped around her.

I'm just going outside ...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

restlessshawn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:41 pm My dog is a Spaniard and feels the cold
Maybe he's used to the Mediterranean climate? :grin:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

benp1 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:05 pm
restlessshawn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:41 pm My dog is a Spaniard and feels the cold
Maybe he's used to the Mediterranean climate? :grin:
He is as he is a little rescue street dog from Malaga :smile:
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

What about a naturehike minaret?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076J627PJ? ... P1400_1000

Can probably get cheaper direct from China if you don't need it urgently
tomwardill

Post by tomwardill »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:05 pm Haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping a layer of Tyvek INSIDE the groundsheet will prevent our mutt's claws from making a mess of it.
This is a good idea, and something I should've thought of. Will give it a try once I've decided on a tent!
restlessshawn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:41 pm Bit OT but what are you doing about a sleeping bag for the dog?
Haven't got to that stage yet, I suspect I might butcher an old down jacket to make something suitable.
rudedog wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:55 am What about a naturehike minaret?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076J627PJ? ... P1400_1000

Can probably get cheaper direct from China if you don't need it urgently
There's a few of this type on aliexpress, might take a risk on one of them.

So far it's either a cheap aliexpress pyramid tent or the Ordos 2. The Ordos is more expensive, but if it doesn't work out, at least I've got a decent tent that I can use other times!

Thanks for the advice and ideas everyone, now just to wait for payday.