Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zippy

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by Zippy »

techno mail wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:07 am Some big Discounts on alpkit gear via sportpursuit: https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/alpkit-apr19?order
Ha - didn't realise how much their range had grown!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

techno mail wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:07 am Some big Discounts on alpkit gear via sportpursuit: https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/alpkit-apr19?order
I'm surprised by this as I thought their business model was direct sales? and the kit appears to be the current models so you can buy it cheaper from sportspursuit than you can direct from Alpkit. As an example, the Arro windproof is £35 from Alpkit and £24 from sportspursuit and the description even uses the same pictures as on the Alplkit website. I guess the difference is you don't get the backup/support in the case of an issue.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

What backup/support do you need? SP are good at warranty issues.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:21 am What backup/support do you need? SP are good at warranty issues.
It wasn't a dig at SP, I've bought stuff from them before and always had good service, but Alpkit are known for going above and beyond to help even after the warranty has expired.

I just wondered why Alpkit would sell their kit to SP to sell on? At the prices SP are charging Alpkit would have been paid very little for what are current items they sell for more. If it was discontinued items or old stock then I'd understand.

I'm still tempted to buy an Arro windproof from SP though as my current commuting one has a hole in the sleeve since my crash in Jan... but is that tempting fate and I'll be making another trip to the tarmac followed by A&E if I have a nice new one :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I too was surprised to see Alpkit listed on SP. It suggests their margins are somewhat more generous than they once were. Nothing I'm after though.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:58 am I too was surprised to see Alpkit listed on SP. It suggests their margins are somewhat more generous than they once were. Nothing I'm after though.
Probably more a case of shedding stock for short term improvement in inventory and or cash flow to release funds to bring in further stock. Their sale has just ended so cant do it through that channel now, so SP are a convenient backdoor route. Which I guess is pretty much SPs model.

Alpkit probably bought all those lines on a MOQ, and have sold enough for the line to be profitable - so they can even clear them at a loss if needs to help stock holding.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

It's also a good way of getting the name out there. SP has a wide following of casual perusers and Alpkit while expanding their offerings, I'd guess are relatively niche to mountaineering, climbing, adventure cycling etc... if they don't lose too much while shifting stock and get some brand exposure it can't be a bad thing.

I bought some Morvelo bibs from SP about 6 years ago and have since gone back to the Morvelo website as I found they were perfect for me, I probably would never have tried out Morvelo at their full or sale prices direct.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yeah I suspect Alpkit are using SP to protect their brand - if they have stuff on sale continuously then it loses its impact and they then become a bit like CRC/Wiggle or Planet X where stuff is on sale all the time, so people dont take it seriously.

I really like Alpkit as whilst following the direct to consumer & cheap, they put the time and money into making sure the quality is good and customer service is excellent. Makes them everything Planet-X could be, but are not.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I thought it was an error on SP, but it seems it is correct. Would anyone realistically pay £200 for a Filo jacket??
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Just ordered a bottle of Stans sealant on CRC. It was £15 for the 473ml bottle or £15.99 for the 946ml bottle. :grin:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sta ... -prod38850

I've had Stans go off in the bottle before, now I unscrew the cap and put clingfilm over the top before screwing the cap back on. Never had a problem since.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:56 pm I've had Stans go off in the bottle before, now I unscrew the cap and put clingfilm over the top before screwing the cap back on. Never had a problem since.
Are you sure the old bottle that "went off" isn't just clingfilm in the way? :wink:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Zippy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:01 pm
Are you sure the old bottle that "went off" isn't just clingfilm in the way? :wink:
It turned into a Stans fur ball. :sad:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sports Pursuit have got Columbia Outdry jackets again. The EX Gold is less than £50 ... if staying dry rather than looking cool is your priority, they're hard to beat.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

The best 4 quid I've spent to feel safe while riding the road sections on my commute to and from work

This pink High Viz for the local company that we get some of our work clothing from gave me so much more space on the road, no near misses, no pull outs, no cut ups and cars even using the outside lane to pass me on the dual carriageway section that I ride on without buzzing close to me.

Maybe I was lucky today but it's a keeper for me for the time being

#EmbracePink
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’ve used a pink hi viz vest for years now, I swear I get more space than when I’m not using it. Have even made a mistake or two whilst wearing it and car drivers haven’t been bothered :-bd

Just wait for a corsa or something to drive past with a load of lads in it...always gives them a surprise seeing a bearded bloke waving back to their beeping :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

How do these size up... is it best to go for a large with size 10 (Five10s) shoe size or a medium
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:03 pm How do these size up... is it best to go for a large with size 10 (Five10s) shoe size or a medium
dunno bud, sorry.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

techno mail wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:08 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:03 pm How do these size up... is it best to go for a large with size 10 (Five10s) shoe size or a medium
dunno bud, sorry.
Already bought. Read into it briefly and the Dexshell states to size up. I reckin my previous ones were large aswell (but gave em to my dad for winter)...

I can confirm they're astonishingly lovely and at above price a propa steal. Thanks for the link TM
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Already bought. Read into it briefly and the Dexshell states to size up. I reckin my previous ones were large aswell (but gave em to my dad for winter)...

I can confirm they're astonishingly lovely and at above price a propa steal. Thanks for the link TM
Happy to help :cool:
spindicator

Post by spindicator »

I’ve got about four pairs of dex shell socks. Highly recommend.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Rockshox Judy Gold RL Solo Air, 27.5+, 110mm boost axle, 100mm travel €141.13.
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/roc ... ost-816165
techno

Post by techno »

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Aldi have cycling bits again from today.

Off in a bit to check out the "merino" (though not most of it) jersey for £7; decent looking mini pump with guage, hose, and presta/Schrader (and Dunlop if you insist) compatibility; and black synthetic wife-beater for riding in the States (my white one looks like I've washed the car with it after about 5 minutes).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

pretty sure they start Thursday
Got the pump last year

Its seems flimsy to me,is not very mini, rattles incessantly if you use the bracket,had next to no instructions, and I think it will break as the shaft is a bit lose as you switch from high to low volume - adaptable but it is not my pump of choice- tbh I dont take it on any ride these days
It still works mind it just seems likely to break, even though it has not