WTB scraper 45's tubeless setup

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gazaddy

WTB scraper 45's tubeless setup

Post by gazaddy »

Hi, I've never setup tubeless before and after my last outing ( bit of a faff) am going tubless for 1st time. They are wtb scrapers on my ramin3+ and what I want is advice on rim tape size and what sealant you boners are using...cheers
Last edited by gazaddy on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
ScotRoutes

Re: WTB sraper 45's tubeless setup

Post by ScotRoutes »

50mm tape for those. I used Stans Sealant but it all seems to work much the same.

My usual routine for setting up tubeless is;

Clean the rims with IPA.
Wait to dry.
Fit tubeless tape - start opposite the valve hole, stretch it on, making sure it's straight and in the well of the rim.
Overlap tape about 10cm and press it down well.
Make hole at valve (either with a scalpel or a soldering iron). Make sure the hole has no rough edges.
Fit inner tube.
Fit tyre.
Inflate to max pressure.
Leave for 24 hours.
Break one bead.
Remove tube.
Fit tubeless valve (I just buy the cheapest off ebay etc)
Refit bead.
Inflate.
Remove valve core.
Pour in sealant.
Inflate.
Do the Stans shake.
Ride.

I recently bought one of those tubeless pumps - the ones with the big reservoir (Airshot etc.} but so far I've managed ok with just a track pump.

The Nobby Nics on my Scrapers went on by following the above process. No problems at all.
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

WOW thank you for in depth info...try it at weekend :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't bother with special rim tape, I just use a couple of wraps of Gorilla tape. If you're fitting WTB tyres, they'll likely be a very tight fit, so don't go mad with the tape or you'll struggle to get the tyres on and back off :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:07 am I don't bother with special rim tape, I just use a couple of wraps of Gorilla tape. If you're fitting WTB tyres, they'll likely be a very tight fit, so don't go mad with the tape or you'll struggle to get the tyres on and back off :wink:
Yes they are wtb tyres , and yes a really tight fit.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Tubeless can be either so simple you wonder what everyone was complaining about. Or so frustrating that it's you doing the complaining :wink:

I've had tyres that seat and inflate with a normal pump yet the same model of tyre on the same rim won't seat even using something like an Airshot. Also some tyres just won't work with certain rims even though both are "tubeless ready", worth doing a search for your combination.

The two main problem areas are: taping the rim and getting the tyre to seat. If the tyre is catching, say on a spoke nipple if you've single walled rims, then air pressure alone won't push it outward. On narrower rims the tyre bead can sit on the rubber bung of the valve leaving a gap so no pressure can build up. If the tyre won't hold air then it's usually down to the tape and IME it's easiest to start again and retape the wheel.

My procedure is pretty much as Colin's - except using the inner tube - I'll leave the tyre unfolded overnight in a warm place. For inflating I'll take the valve core out first especially if using an Airshot as you want the air to get into the tyre as quickly as possible.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Re: WTB scraper 45's tubeless setup

Post by ScotRoutes »

Proper rim tape has a shiny, smooth surface that will help tight tyres slide into place.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Make sure to use tape that's also wide enough.

You want the bead of the tyre to sit on the tape, not on the rim.

I've not always done it this way and after a bit more than a year had leaks through the spoke holes.

I pretty much do it like ScotRoutes but jump the inner tube trick and don't remove the valve stem and simply poor the sealant into the not yet fully bedded tyre.

(Also I have a small compressor. I've never had to remove the valve cores to get tyres bedded.)

I much prefer Conti Revo - no matter what tyres. So I do the Revo shake.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I use gorilla clear repair tape on my i45's - just the right width and seems more resistant to the sealant turning the adhesive to goo (which is my experience with normal gorilla gaffa tape) plus very sticky so never comes undone. One tape wrap does many tyre changes

For info I tried effetto mariposa rim strips (which work excellently on my fat bike rims) and annoyingly they are just slightly too narrow for i45's so you never get a good bead seal, even with much sloshing of sealant.
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

Thanks everyone for the input....have a go at weekend
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

what scots does but i dont do the inner tube bit first i try to fit it first and do that if it fails
Secondly have a large compressor store of air - I use a 9 litre fire extinguisher .

get tessa tape from ebay - no dearer than the alternatives and it is just basically generic tubeless tape without any branding
Tubeless can be either so simple you wonder what everyone was complaining about. Or so frustrating that it's you doing the complaining
this it has taken me anything from minutes to days. Worst was a tubeleess tyre onto a tubeless rim - converting my commuter tyres was a mare but it was non tubeless rim to non tubeless tyre so you got to expect that

Persevere with doing it , it gets easier and its worth it for the never get a puncture again feeling [ strictly not true but so rare you can remember your last one but not what year it was ]
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

On my Ramin 3+ this is what I did. I bodged some valves together from dead tubes, poured in the Stans fluid and pumped 'em up. 18 months later, they're still good.

If your rims look like this:-

you'll probably be able to do the same.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:32 pm On my Ramin 3+ this is what I did. I bodged some valves together from dead tubes, poured in the Stans fluid and pumped 'em up. 18 months later, they're still good.

If your rims look like this:-

you'll probably be able to do the same.
Cheers , tyres coming off tomoz.