bike (back) packing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summerwastin

bike (back) packing

Post by summerwastin »

I've been reducing the faff on my bike, by putting my sleeping gear on to my back. I know that's bad for long journeys (i.e.: weeks on end) and for non-technical stuff; but my routes are fairly technical and are mostly only 1 nighters at the moment. I can get my sleeping bag, bivvy bag, mat and some base layer stuff in a backpack, its really lightweight and means I only need to use a frame bag and top tube feedbag for my other stuff. Gonna try it out tomorrow night and post some pics.

In a separate note, wiggle are selling the really really comfortable 14L Acre Hauser backpacks at pretty much half price at the moment. which means they are nearly good value - instead of the ludicrous normal price. I got one and its really comfy and fits all my night gear. Planning to make the sleeping stuff even lighter next month with a new Cumulus quilt.

any thoughts? especially people who are bikepacking the lakes and other technical riding areas.

thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: bike (back) packing

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gian, where are you, 'cmon.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I've done quite a bit of bikepacking using a backpack for the majority of my gear. Mostly back in the era of Polaris events with some fairy rudimentary kit - remember Balloon Beds (shudder!)
More recently I've done some when I only had an XC full Susser to ride and no suitable bags.
Like you say, for 1 night and more technical terrain it's very suitable.
On Dartmoor there are a lot of hideous stepping stones over the rivers where that set up helps no end.
Similarly I did a Lakes trip last year and summited Helvellyn and High Street in full bikepacking mode. The carry/push sections were deffo easier for me with a backpack rather than my buddy with all he gear in bike bags.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

remember Balloon Beds (shudder!)
Yes. Yes I do. I picked one up from one of the backpacking websites a couple years ago. Bloke gave it away for a tenner and it was worth it just for the entertainment value. My god. What am utterly dreadful product.
I'm just going outside ...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

More common than you might think, see here - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11113

In the last few months I've been in the Peak District (last weekend), the Lake District twice and the Shropshire Hills, all bikepacking, always with a rucksack. I don't mind it for a couple of nights
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:46 pm Gian, where are you, 'cmon.
My first thoughts as well :wink:

Our first "bikepacking" trip was in 2010 on an overnighter at Meanach bothy having set off from Corrour station back towards Roy Bridge. We used OMM running sacks with everything, including cheap synthetic sleeping bags, inside. The only thing on our bikes would have been water bottles.

Here's Cath with the bothy in sight:

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a couple of routes in mind for this year that will involve the Full Sus MTB, ruling out loading it up. A small backpack will be fine.

#enduropacking
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Sorry... I was out hiking my bike...
:wink:

I agree in all points summerwastin.
For me it boils down to the question of how much time can be spent actually riding sat on the saddle?
The less time in the saddle, the less gear on the bike.

Such terrain

My set up.
Including a cat food can stove, ti mug, sleeping gear for -5 °C etc. Longest I've been out with exactly this set up must have been 7 days.

I've been doing it like this for more than a decade and think it's the best way to go.
When it's really steep and the most efficient way of travel is carrying the bike, I'm happy the rest the bike on the rucksack with it's downtube, holding on to the crank/pedal or with the other hand to the fork.
This way it can be balanced quite easily and the load is spread and you get a hand free to hold on to rocks.

I mostly use my Inov-8 race elite 25 L rucksack and could carry food for 3 - 4 days and 3 L of water, but hardly ever require that amount (no matter how remote and high up the route goes) due to the many villages and Alp huts with some sort of service. Having some spare space in the rucksack often comes in handy for the food might not always be compact, like a bread (or a bottle of wine).
The thing is, the race elite can be cinched down when not all volume is needed and is just about 400 g empty. Most of my smaller rucksacks are the same weight.

With well thought out kit (as light as possible)and some conditioning to riding and hiking with a rucksack, it feels very natural, not just during the long hike-a-bikes, but also riding challenging stuff, not holding you back from making the best of your downhill riding skills.

Another point worth tinkering is shoes and riding pants. As much as I love my Assoss pants, I don't wear them for techy stuff, when only little riding can be done sat on the saddle (like 10 - 20 % of the time). I just use a tri suit with very, very minimal padding for those cases. For shoes I'm super happy with the Adidas Terrex Trail Cross SL. Right profile in the right places and very well balanced sole stiffness.

T'is from my perspective. Knowing the Lakes from hiking as a teenager, I can well see adopting my Alpine way of handling the kit to such UK grounds with little adaption.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

More here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10235&hilit=Raetic+trail

Hmmm... I could add some updates in there...
summerwastin

Post by summerwastin »

yeah I agree with all that, it is definitely as much about riding technical trails with bike that feels more "normal", as it is about making hiking with the bike easier. don't think I'm getting out tonight after all but I'll post some pics of the setup while I do some light evening fettling..... I'm hoping that for spring/summer rides this setup can last for a few nights without missing more creature comforts. pics shortly:
summerwastin

Post by summerwastin »

Imageunnamed-8 by will lenton, on Flickr

Beginning the faff:

I carry 3 bottles on the frame and forks, tools in my saddle bag, stove and ti-mug and other odds and ends in the frame bag. then food in the top tube bag and bar feedbag. The rucksack is just for night stuff. no tarp, but I can carry that on the bars if its going to be wet, and the pole can go in the frame bag. I suppose I would prefer a full frame bag, or at least a better fitting half-frame bag but this setup feels good. definitely enough for a couple of hours either side of a good outdoor sleep (which is what I am planning for this month. ). next month I will try a longer 2 day ride in the lakes with this setup as well, but first more local Calderdale test-runs.