Merino, or other base layers?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Merino, or other base layers?

Post by Teetosugars »

What’s good out there?
I love my old Helly Hanson’s, but, well, time for something new.
Is Findra worth the £?
Ray Young

Re: Merino, or other base layers?

Post by Ray Young »

I too had an old Helly Hanson that recently died. After 3 new base layers in as many months I then settled on a Decathlon one.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Avoid merino.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

ScotRoutes wrote:Avoid merino.
Go on... Genuinely intrigued Colin. :geek:
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Not sure I'd avoid Merino. Great for smell over long trips. It does get quite sweaty when you're pushing hard though. Been experimenting with more synthetic recently and it's great if you're not out for more than a day.

Still not decided on bamboo.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gets damp. Retains moisture. Gets cold when activity levels drop. Takes an age to dry.
The emperors new baselayer.
Nice as a leisure t-shirt, sub standard as a technical baselayer.
I have a Ground Effect Submerino baselayer that is 50/50 merino/poly. That works OK. some of the other mixes are fine too.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Merino not so good on high intensity stuff, doesn't dry quick enough for a base layer

I like under armour, brynje, helly hanson and stuff made from powerdry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My favourite baselayers are the Gore sleeveless ones and the RAB Aeon (T or long sleeved)
RIP

Post by RIP »

<whispers> bamboo.. been through this one before :smile:

(got a wierd magnifying glass on the " :smile: " up there, dunno what that's all about! )
Last edited by RIP on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

having never worn a base layer [ except for warmth/thermal reason] so what is the point of them exactly [ i bet this has been done before too ]
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote:having never worn a base layer [ except for warmth/thermal reason] so what is the point of them exactly [ i bet this has been done before too ]
It helps you regulate... you know. Like Nate Dogg and Warren G :lol: (sorry... couldn't help myself and as one of the BBs says, I'll see myself out)...
redefined_cycles

I love merino cos you can wear it for ages and it just doesn't smell (the good quality stuff maybe although my PX one never did smell I recall... it was a bit crap though and became wierd shaped in a short time). I've tested my 70 percent socks for 7 days (in the name of experimentation off course) and one would never know it. The Merino jersey can just be worn for weeks (I would imagine) without a hint of whiff :-bd

I take Colin (thats ScotRoutes right?!) point about the crap we're given about it being warm when wet and drying quickly. Dont think it does either of them well enough to write home about...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Not merino.
I'm pretty committed to using natural fibre where possible in all areas of my life.
Merino does not work for me for cycling base layers or jerseys. As mentioned it gets wet, stays wet and is cold and unpleasant as a result.
I can also make mine stink....
I have some cheap DHB synthetic ones for commuting that are fine and some Falke and 2XU ones that are expensive and synthetic and do that nice feeling compression thing. Cheap ones probably work as well. I used a cheapo on Bb200 last year in Storm Whatshisname used only with a shell jacket I was very comfortable all day/night.
Last edited by lune ranger on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I like merino for gentler stuff wherevill not be so sweaty but agree with Colin.

Alpkit makevsome drecent ones. And I recently got some kilpi stuff via sports persuit which were both cheap and reyt good.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve never got on with merino. I tend to use a variety of cheap synthetics. I got a couple of BAM bamboo tops in their sale which are very comfy, quite warm and apparently non-stinky. I can’t help thinking they may suffer some of the drawbacks of merino but haven’t really given them a proper test yet.
ton

Post by ton »

north face is good. comes in 2 weights. and fits a big un.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Another vote for Alpkit Merino (and a huge thumbs up for that hipster brand merino, if you can get it in a sale). True, it gets sweaty if you're working hard, but it beats the crap out of synthetic tops. I've got one or two synthetic tops but I almost shudder when putting them on so natural fibres for me on top please. Bamboo is also nice, but not very ecologically friendly - the amount of stuff they have to do to it to turn it into a wearable fibre is quite something.
So, Alpkit and Wapha merino for me please Santa.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Oli.vert wrote:...Bamboo is also nice, but not very ecologically friendly - the amount of stuff they have to do to it to turn it into a wearable fibre is quite something...

Glad to hear some sense on the subject of bamboo as a fibre. Just about the only good thing about it from an environmental perspective is that it biodegrades.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote:
Oli.vert wrote:...Bamboo is also nice, but not very ecologically friendly - the amount of stuff they have to do to it to turn it into a wearable fibre is quite something...

Glad to hear some sense on the subject of bamboo as a fibre. Just about the only good thing about it from an environmental perspective is that it biodegrades.
Didnt know that. Thanks fellas
Dodgypenguin

Post by Dodgypenguin »

Merino just leaves me cold and wet. Moved to the Brynje super thermo in winter and super micro in summer. Looks like a dodgy string vest, but doesn't retain moisture, holds air and keeps the other damp layers off you. Don't get that cold and clammy feeling if I stop mid-activity.

Could never go back to Merino etc now. Just look like a 1950s grandad (which might suit).

https://www.nordiclife.co.uk/collection ... /mens+tops
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I think merino is nice as a layer, just not as a base layer. Most effective for me have been the mesh base layers, which come in various different flavours and make even sweaty oiks like me feel comfortable when working hard.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I have a merino and hate it with a vengeance for cycling in cos of the cold damp feeling but it makes a great in tent post ride top.

My base layer of choice is a polartec 100 canondale cycling specific top I bought about 25 years ago. So good I bought a second. I wish I'd bought 20.