16.9kg (or 37.25 in old money)...

2.3L water (so that should come down)
Tools
Lots of food
2 bags

techno

Re: Packed bike weighIn Thread

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote:All weighed up for an MTL attempt.

Tools
Lots of food
2 bags

Hey, are you bivvying? That's a pretty compact setup :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Your front mudguard looks back to front...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

benp1 wrote:Your front mudguard looks back to front...
That'a how I fit mine when I use it too. It stops loads more crap being flung up in to my face.
I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

benp1 wrote:Your front mudguard looks back to front...
Nope... not a front mud guard so not back to front... it's Stan (the Sonders) hat...
redefined_cycles

techno mail wrote:
redefined_cycles wrote:All weighed up for an MTL attempt.

Tools
Lots of food
2 bags

Hey, are you bivvying? That's a pretty compact setup :-bd
Nope. I was MTLing...

Not bivvying but have given myself a target limit of 42lb fully packed whoch would include the shelter and sleeping bag on the forks in the 160ish grams Gorilla Cages.

Also water wouldn't be as much and hopefully look at filling up at running water spots.
psling

Post by psling »

Excuse my ignorance but, what is MTLing?!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
techno

Post by techno »

Mary Townley Loop ING
It's a loop on the Pennine bridleway I think.
Hang on.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Towneley_Loop
redefined_cycles

Yup. Sorry, my bad. Mary Townley Loop which is an additional circular section of the Penning bridleway. Goes around the Lancashire region
psling

Post by psling »

Aha, I know it! Thanks guys :oops:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote:Nope. I was MTLing...

Not bivvying but have given myself a target limit of 42lb fully packed whoch would include the shelter and sleeping bag on the forks in the 160ish grams Gorilla Cages.

Also water wouldn't be as much and hopefully look at filling up at running water spots.
How did you find having the bladder in the frame bag?
redefined_cycles

I liked it. Have thought a way to make driking from it easier:

Magnet on stem and one of them Osprey magnet attachments that go on bladder tube. That way its easier to drink on the fly and/or the fact it wasn't (yesterday withoit magnet so was mainly drinking when stopped) too easy to drink meant i didnt guzzle it all like I would when sat on back and easy access...

Main thing having its pack aswell was to get the weight up to fully packed targets. So when the shelter/S bag needs to go on bike, water can go on back.

Having nothing on my back felt good for the duration of the ride yesterday though...
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote:I liked it. Have thought a way to make driking from it easier:

Magnet on stem and one of them Osprey magnet attachments that go on bladder tube. That way its easier to drink on the fly and/or the fact it wasn't (yesterday withoit magnet so was mainly drinking when stopped) too easy to drink meant i didnt guzzle it all like I would when sat on back and easy access...

Main thing having its pack aswell was to get the weight up to fully packed targets. So when the shelter/S bag needs to go on bike, water can go on back.

Having nothing on my back felt good for the duration of the ride yesterday though...
Thanks, I've tried it but need a longer hose and find the bladder takes a bit too much space up in my frame bag. Probably gonna go for bottle cages on fork bosses........
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I made a sort of cradle for mine [ resting on bags and between the Gap in some alpkit confusius bars ] using some additional straps for it to rest n and secure it.

Easy to see how much was left but you did have to adjust strapping as it emptied - I did this in the heat wave last summer as i knew drinking enough water was going to be a problem
Water bottles are a lot less faf
techno

Post by techno »

Lazarus wrote:I made a sort of cradle for mine [ resting on bags and between the Gap in some alpkit confusius bars ] using some additional straps for it to rest n and secure it.

Easy to see how much was left but you did have to adjust strapping as it emptied - I did this in the heat wave last summer as i knew drinking enough water was going to be a problem
Water bottles are a lot less faf
I tried a similar tactic with a camelbak unbottle a year or so ago. Discounted it as it Puts a heavy lump in an a less than ideal place which I'm sure affected the handling of the bike and also lurched about when the terrain got lively!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i did not do anything to technical on it but that is fair point i dont think I would have trusted it [ would certainly have secured it very tightly t the start and probably stopped to check

Its sub optimal solution [ though i have toyed with putting it one of those lightweight runner camelbaks [ which i have as it was cheaper than the bladder alone] as i think you can secure that more easily - but you may as well then just put in on your back anyway - it was so hot i wanted no bag.

Only a heatwave will make me consider this again.
redefined_cycles

15.6kg

Thibgs I had to leave behind to ensure I only jept with the 3 bags (collapsible osprey bag in back pocket too will go with me):

down rab jacket and merino wapha jacket (which i thought to take instead of the rab)

Coffee making system

Mudguards (or fenders.. whatever they are)Image
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just done an extreme honesty weigh in and I'm a little shocked.
So this set up is for B150 next month and a test run tomorrow.
This includes absolutely everything I think will start on my bike. IncludesGPS and spare batts, all food I'll start with, water, tools, lights, waterproofs, spare warm gear, emergency bivi.

20.8kg

Salsa Fargo Rohloff - all steel with Nano's.
Guess I could loose a few tools and layers but I wouldn't want to.
Guess I could lighten up the bike but I won't be affording a Ti Fargo anytime soon.
Suppose the stuff you usually avoid counting in an all up weight adds up more than you like to think.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

aye the electronics ,water , clothes and food soon add up

i think the bet you can do is get your essential kit that will always go[camping and cooking and tools] with you down to a decent weight
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Weighed my full-sus (not my usual bikepacking bike) loaded for the Lakeland 200 on Friday - 19.5kg. Rucksack was a further 3kg with no water (a full bladder would bring it up to 5).

Need to weight the bike unloaded to see how much is kit, but the spec weight for a small (mine's XL) is 13.4.kg, though I've changed a few small bits.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think (I.e. I can't remember) that my bike at last year's WRT was 18kg. That was a Salsa Spearfish which is 12.5kg plus the gear that I intended to use on the HT550 later that month plus whatever food I'd stuffed in the stem cells.

Gear weights were roughly:
Bivy kit: 930g
Bags and harnesses: 930g
Electricals: 750g
Tools and spares: 650g
Spare clothes: 750g
Sundries (FA kit, etc) 350g

The list of actual items is quite long but packed it doesn't look a lot.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My bike, kit, food and water for the 2017 B150 came to 22.4kg or 49.5lb in old money. That was everything apart from the clothes I was wearing I even took a tarp and poles. This year I'd hope to have a lighter setup.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'm sure I have a WRT weigh in spreadsheet for multiple years kicking around somewhere... :ugeek:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

21.5kg ready for the Dales Divide. Probably the heaviest I've ever packed - more water and food (a lot more food tbf) then I'd usually take.

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

It's still not alot of gear though is it?
Most DofE kids carry that on their back and they don't even have a bike!
Being picky but did you weigh in with the bottles full? Because they look empty in your pic :geek: Full, they'd be 1.5kg and that's about 8% of your weight right there.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC