another MYOG cheapo Anything Cage

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jamiep

another MYOG cheapo Anything Cage

Post by jamiep »

Came across a Bell expandable bottle cage in Asda for only £2.30. Figured it was worth a punt at that price to see if it could be modded into something like a Salsa Anything Cage. The metal frame is very rigid, the plastic is fairly flexible, with most of the work being done by the straps.
Has anyone else tried something similar?

The rubber strap would only fit up to a 1ltr bottle so replaced it with two webbing straps. Added a bit of felt to the contact points to stop the fork being scratched and clipped on using rubber-lined clips that I had spare from those I bought for securing the mudguards. Not been for a shakedown run yet but all seems to be sturdy enough although I think I'll get some jubilee clips so they can be easier tightened/removed. Came in a about £3. Will be getting a second cage next time I am in there.
With a full Alpkit 5ltr drybag for size reference (although the photo is at an angle so the bag looks ma-hoo-sive):
Ray Young

Re: another MYOG cheapo Anything Cage

Post by Ray Young »

Hi jamiep, I had one of those once and I like what you have done. Mine broke because the heads on the screws that hold the plastic bit on are quite narrow and pulled through the plastic when I was carrying the bike across my back (I was using it as a bottle cage mounted on the seat tube). Some bigger washers under the screw head should stop this. If you find the plastic bit is too narrow to hold the bag stable then you can get 1mm plasticard quite cheaply from model shops that is wider and easily cut to any shape.