Side sleeper

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

arthurdent

Side sleeper

Post by arthurdent »

My son and I did an overnight camp on Wed in the Dales (i must say it's my first camp out for a lot of years :oops: ). Was a cold night ( 0° to -1 °C approx) but i had one specific problem i wondered if anybody else has?

I normally sleep on my side, so i zipped up my sleeping bag (Nanok -5 comfort synthetic) whilst on my back. Then i turn with the bag, so the zip is under me. I found that i had a specific cold spot on my lower back and back of upper thighs ? Rest of me was warm (although i did have to add an extra layer in the night)

I had long-johns, t-shirt and thin fleece on also. I cured it to a point by covering the area with a spare fleece jacket but it was far from ideal.

Typically, my son slept like a log all night!!

Any suggestions/tips or has anybody else had similar problem ? By the way, was great fun!! :)
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Side sleeper

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's not uncommon for bags to have more insulation on the top than the bottom.

I sleep on my side too. I find when I'm using a sleeping bag I'm much better if I can turn within the bag and leave the bag in it's natural back sleeping position ... if you see what I mean.

If the outer of the bag is pulled tight and you're inside pushing against it (maybe lower back/back of legs) the insulation in these areas will get compressed and cold spots develop.
May the bridges you burn light your way
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Was the bag nice and snug around your head? I've known slight movements to suck in cold air and create cold spots too.

But like Stu said pulling the bag tight will have a cooling effect. I'm a warm and active sleeper and I like to be able to move within the bag also, and find that closing it up tight helps a treat.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Turn to the other side?
Chew

Post by Chew »

What Stu said basically.

The bottom of your bag will get squashed and the insultation wont work as well, so when you turn onto your side that lower insulated part of the bag is exposed to the cold, so you feel cold. Turn inside your bag and leave the bad it its normal position an you should be fine. You should find you should sleep warmer on your side than you back as well.