In the shops next week I believe.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

In the shops next week I believe.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't see why this wouldn't interest most of us.

May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Re: In the shops next week I believe.

Post by voodoo_simon »

Interesting!

Pre mini-voodoo, I used to read Cyclist cover to cover, one of the better magazines out there, food mix of travel/reviews/bling etc without the usual BS that some other magazines print :lol: Probably a bit more ‘middle class/affluent’ market but we can all dream!

Will look out for this :-bd
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Might try this, Always liked Cyclist from a road aspect. It will be good to see their take on the gravel scene, Grit CX were starting to cover this but folded which was a shame.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks Stuart, must be worth a look. 'Spring 2019' so presumably quarterly. £5.99 - ker-ching, I'm losing track of inflation in me old age.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
faustus

Post by faustus »

Like the look of that. Regular MTB magazines have had very little to offer me for a long time now, so I hope it's a good mix of interesting stuff.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aside from Bicycle Quarterly, I've not read a cycling magazine in a number of years. However, I always flip through Cycling in the shop because the pictures are generally very good and always seem to capture a sense of scale ... the fact none of the riders are gurning or contorted into strange shapes, helps too. Be nice if this has the same quality feel to it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I subscribe to Cyclist and this has just dropped through the letterbox along with the regular "road" mag. At first looks it's very much "gravel" oriented, the adventure part, a trip from Fort Augustus to Knoydart and back via Glen Affric is also done on gravel bikes but they do admit that their chosen bike had met its match on some of the terrain.

Hard to tell from one issue but looks along the same aspirational slant on things - I don't think I'd ever consider even the cheapest of the road bikes that have been tested in Cyclist for example. Gear reviews do tend to be along the "What are the three most expensive X?". The writing in Cyclist is much better than the MTB mags which have mostly descended in to "how do we plug our advertisers' kit this month?" style articles and reviews.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Same style of pictures Bob ... nice and big? :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Same style of pictures Bob ... nice and big? :-bd
Yep. Lots of full page and double page shots. Basically if both magazines were opened out on a desk you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Nice cover image - that's on the TNR route, Via del Sale.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Cyclist Off Road, is just a once a year deal I believe
psling

Post by psling »

According to BikeBiz:
Cyclist is launching Cyclist Off-Road, a new magazine aimed at cyclists who are looking to "discover new routes, learn new skills, and acquire new kit".
It will have the same aesthetic as Cyclist, as well as the same production values, unique editorial content and photography.
Cyclist has also teamed up with adventure brand Restrap for ‘Ride T’Pub’, a multiday off-road bikepacking event across the Yorkshire Dales.
Celebrating the tenth anniversary of Restrap, the 160 kilometre route will take participants from Leeds city centre into the Yorkshire Dales, covering over 530 metres of climbing on and off-road. Riders will spend the first night camping before tackling the final half of the ride and finishing at Tan Hill pub.
Early bird tickets to the event cost £120, which includes entry to the event, a GPX route file, Restrap and Cyclist ride captains, two nights of camping with breakfast included, two evening meals, a goody bag, movie night, DJ and band at the pub. The ride takes place from 25th to 27th May.

“As for the gravel market, we’ve worked particularly closely with key brands over the last six months to help showcase the newest additions to their range in the pages of Cyclist Off-Road. The aim of the magazine is to inspire road riders to venture away from the tarmac and explore new routes, with the first issue showcasing some amazing rides in the UK, Europe and beyond. Our Ride T’Pub bikepacking event forms part of our new commitment to the gravel and adventure scene.
“Both sets of events have been specifically created with the aim of taking the Cyclist brand and bringing it to life.”
Be a shame if it's just once a year.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

the 160 kilometre route will take participants from Leeds city centre into the Yorkshire Dales, covering over 530 metres of climbing on and off-road.
Surely that can't be right?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
the 160 kilometre route will take participants from Leeds city centre into the Yorkshire Dales, covering over 530 metres of climbing on and off-road.
That and two nights (three days) to cover 160km.

Well, either that or you planned the route and it has some serious BB sauce

Edit, be generous and assume two riding days.
Does sound quite a social event.
Bear stock 2020 ideas????

Edit2, seems the event might be cancelled
https://ridetpub.co.uk/cyclistridetpub2019/en/page/home
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Don't know that area well but it doesn't sound very hilly there :wink:
I'm taking Reg for a little jaunt in my neck of the woods next month that manages 1365m climbing in 60km :shock:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes that does mildly concern this pensioner ;). Still, my load will hopefully be 25g lighter so should be much easier climbing :)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Solo

Post by Solo »

Looks interesting. Will try and pick up a copy.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Has anyone seen it in a shop yet? I went to Smith's at lunch but they only had the normal 'road' Cyclist. There is another news agent I could try but its the other side of town, so a good 5 minutes walk away, so don't want to go all that way if it's not out :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

sean_iow wrote:Has anyone seen it in a shop yet? I went to Smith's at lunch but they only had the normal 'road' Cyclist. There is another news agent I could try but its the other side of town, so a good 5 minutes walk away, so don't want to go all that way if it's not out :lol:
Think it's out 27th Sean
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Whoever buys one and once have read it (if you can please try and keep it looking as shiny as poss) and wants to dispose/discard. I'm happy to pay postage to recieve off ya.

Dont fancy buying new as have the full collection of Privateer and over 50 Rouleurs and now cant bring myself to get rid as they were an expensive investment...

Good reads though both of them and lile lile the usual BS the mags try to feed us
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

middleagedmadness wrote:Think it's out 27th Sean
Cheers. I'll head out into town again tomorrow.
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

There were copies of it in WH Smith today, bought one but not read it yet
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'd forgotten so just went and bought one, cheers for the reminder. I've got my small commuting rucksack with me so it will have to stay at work for now, but I did also buy an Oreo cream egg, I'll eat that now to save carrying it home :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Is it any good?? Is it gonna help in our pursuits of mtb and biviying??
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote:Is it any good?? Is it gonna help in our pursuits of mtb and biviying??
If you've ever read a copy of Cyclist then the style and feel is very much the same but obviously aimed at "gravel", unlikely to be a flat bar in sight. Very aspirational in that the bikes and kit are top end - the bike chosen for their Highland trip is priced at £8750 :shock: :shock: Some bivy kit in the gear section, the Raffa pied d'elephant and duvet and the MSR Pocket Rocket stove for example.