Exped Syn/Down Mats?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

99percentchimp

Exped Syn/Down Mats?

Post by 99percentchimp »

Might be a bit later for the winter bivi's this year (or maybe not?) but what's the general opinion on the Syn mats or Down Mats. I will prefer a long mat but whats the warmth to weight comaprison between the two? Are the down mat's noticably warmer (has anyone actually used both?). Do they seem to be wearing well if you've had one for a long time. Anyone compare them to NeoAirs as well - I've had chilly feet on a NeoAir on a couple of nights this winter (when I've not taken a thin [few mm's) Karrimat with me too) and have been thinking of an Exped for a comfort boost.
Love to hear the collective opinions! Cheers.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Exped Syn/Down Mats?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've been using a Synmat UL for the last year and it's great. It's a small which for me is actually full length ;) . On a couple of occasions I've felt the cold slightly through it but I was using a quilt. Although they seem quite delicate, it seems to be holding up very well. I also like the fact it's a touch wider than the NeoAir and the 2 outside chambers are a little bigger to stop you rolling off.

I've just taken delivery of a Downmat lite. It's heavier than the UL version and isn't meant to be quite as warm ... good to -12 so I'm told, it's also about half the price. I've not tried it yet but it's the same size as the Synmat and warmer so I think it'll be a winner. I'm not sure how I got it this quickly because I was told they wouldn't be available until May.

http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/.exped- ... 761919.htm
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've got a neoair xtherm which has been excellent but that downmat lite looks a bargain!
nobby

Post by nobby »

If got a Downmat and a Neoair. Both are the short versions but that is near full length for me.
My feeling is that the Downmat is a little warmer than the Neoair but because it is bulkier I haven't used it since buying the Neoair early last year. I've had the Downmat for four years.
The only cold camp I did last year, it was January and below freezing, I put the Neoair on a cut down in width car windscreen cover (one of those silver covered insulating things) and didn't have any warmth problems at all.
If I only had one I would keep the Neoair but only because it isn't as bulky.
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

I have a Downmat UK and now (compared to when using a thermarest) feel no cold from underneath (even when bivvied on my garden paving slabs to test it & my bag a couple of weeks ago. I do worry about its longevity and so far have used it inside my bivvy bag to try to protect it a little. It packs up small and light. Its also really comfy to sleep on - totally irons out any awkward lumps on the ground. A bit odd when you sit on it as it does collapse where all your weight is put on one spot, but as soon as you lie down its all comfy again.

The downside is the price. If I were buying now, I'd get the Downmat Lite - not as warm or light (and therefore probably a bit tougher) but half the price - biggest bang for the buck I reckon.
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Thanks all. I'll have a look at the cheapy ones posted above and see if rudedog replies about where he got one for £60 on line! Cheers.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I see that Exped have just launched a Synmat UL9 ... it has an R rating of 6 :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

99percentchimp wrote:Thanks all. I'll have a look at the cheapy ones posted above and see if rudedog replies about where he got one for £60 on line! Cheers.
He mentioned www.flubit.com looks interesting...
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

johnnystorm wrote:
99percentchimp wrote:Thanks all. I'll have a look at the cheapy ones posted above and see if rudedog replies about where he got one for £60 on line! Cheers.
He mentioned http://www.flubit.com looks interesting...
Aye, it was £20 cheaper from flubit - the only concern is that they buy the item for you and you pay them. I got a reciept from the seller but it had flubit as the purchasers so I'm not sure how things would work if I needed to send the item back under warranty.