Wildcat Tiger on a full suspension

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

u02sgb

Wildcat Tiger on a full suspension

Post by u02sgb »

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone is using a Wildcat Tiger with a full sus? I borrowed a friends bag he bought from Pawel for a trip but it could occasionally get rubbed by the back tyre. It worked if the saddle was high and it was cinched as tight as possible but I'd like to know what room I have to play with.

Picture here: http://nologobikepacking.com/2012/05/13 ... ite-thing/

I see the Viscacha says it need 8 inches of clearance from tyre to saddle rails, any idea on the Tiger?

I'd mail Wildcat but thought I'd try wasting all of your time first! For a Giant Anthem if it makes any difference.

Cheers,
Stuart.
InspiredRamblings

Re: Wildcat Tiger on a full suspension

Post by InspiredRamblings »

I guess whichever bag you use, it depends on the bike setup mostly, as I would have thought that most of the bag designs are fairly similar in terms of the space they utilise? I'm using a Viscacha on a full suspension bike and don't appear to have any problems.

The key criteria for whether this is an issues must be saddle height, suspension setup (did you pop more air in the rear shock to counter any extra weight being carried causing more sag) and wheel size (less space on a 29er...). I use a 26er, my saddle is pretty high, I added air to the rear shock, and don't appear to have had any problems...

(Hopefully thats the right image - I'm posting blind as Flickr photos are blocked at work...!)
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

If you are worried about a bit of rub ask Beth to sew a piece of the rubbery stuff, seatpost strap, to the arse of the harness. This should be quite abrasion resistant, maybe.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Thanks guys. Yeah I'd put a bit more air in the shock. It was more that it had to be cinched as tight as it would go with the saddle pretty high to prevent the rub. I suppose that's hard to avoid.

Good idea on the extra material, will bear that in mind.

Stu.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had a similar problem with the Viscacha on my 9:zero:7 fatbike. You can see here how little clearance I had on my first trip out.

P1040183 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Doing the straps up tightly does help but I also found that being a bit more careful when packing it (making it wider rather than deeper) solved the issue.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Is it possible to adjust the suspension to give less travel or change the way it ramps up to give less travel at the end of it's stroke? Just an idea.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

I think you could change the air can to let it ramp up more but I've enough faffing before a trip as it is!

I wonder if Wildcat might do a "slim" version that will cinch down further than the standard one. Anyway, I think the main answer to my question is "be a bit careful with the packing". If I'm not trying to overstuff the bag it should help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Stu.
Ian

Post by Ian »

You can test your clearance with the rear wheel simply by stuffing a ~8 litre dry bag with gear and placing it under the saddle to see how much room you've got. In use, the Tiger will cinch up the dry bag a bit too, but if you're still concerned, perhaps consider our small version suitable for dry bags up to 5 litres in size. As far as seat packs go, the Tiger is probably one of the slimmer ones available, as well as being lighter and more stable than some others around.

Hope that helps.

Ian
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

To check if it'll rub - let all the air out of the shock, that'll be the equivalent of full compression. Should take a lot of the guess work and hearsay out of it. Quick, simple and easy as well, only costing a few minutes to pressure the shock back up.

TBH, it must be so particular to bike set up that others experience will only be the vaguest of guides.
milodog

Post by milodog »

Just bought the tiger for my 29 er sus after speaking with Wildcat. Strapped a 8l dry bag under the seat and went for a blast. No problems but i do run my seat high. Try it out