Packed bike weighIn Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Packed bike weighIn Thread

Post by redefined_cycles »

Yesterday was my first BAM (odd bivi here and there out necessity) and took me a while shedding weight and getting it to a decent rideable weight...

Got me thinking what others bikes weigh as its just good to know...

I got mine to 17.5kg and the rest of gear was sent packing into my backpack including the camelbak and 1kg bivibag and cooking pot and MSR...
Whats the lowest race weight you've managed to get it to please.... add what you carried (on bike and back) and bike type/make please (if you can be bothered)...
Asposium

Re: Packed bike weighIn Thread

Post by Asposium »

my set-up from feb bivi-a-month
testing how little can take

tent (800g) and sleeping bag (~1100g) [don't like to be cold, so rated to -5C] on bars
poles (weight included in tent weight), pump, inner tube (only one as now tubeless), and some tools in frame bag (call it a kilo), tent pegs (weight included in tent weight)
water (~2litres)
sleeping mat (~400g IIRC), pillow (~25g IIRC), sleeping tights, down jacket

in camelbak, phone, sandwiches for dinner
battery for helmet light
headtorch

don't carry a stove for overnigher

ImageBAM Feb-2019 by Asposium, on Flickr
Last edited by Asposium on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Stan (the Sonder) in carbon flavour medium and Travis Prong forks. 17.5kg

Around 6 graze bars
1 ginger beer (Jamaican)
1 JBL GO speaker
Full Leopard WC framebag, 2 BB Outpost fork mounts, 1 Aplkit Airlok XTRA 8L in one of the mounts, Acepac 1.2L tt bag (stu will be selling these shortly) with upgraded straps
Pasta box, cooking canister, MSR pickpocket stove, 670g sleeping bag, Thermarest Neoair mat, crud catcher/hider by Coghlans (50g), 2 Nitecore headlights, and some other stuff

Deuter backpack 30L with 2L water and 200ml milk and the 1kg bivibag and ti 600ml pot and cuppa and some other stuff that doesn't matter
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

@Apsosium - please excuse the thread hijack, but I'd be interested to see some more shot of your bar bag setup, with particular attention to how you stop it form flopping into the headtube?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have the weights of a few items of kit but not everything in detail. I don't race.

I did once weigh my fully-laden bike prior to a long overnighter. Including food, waterproofs, all bivvy gear, stove, gas, lights and batteries, luggage and 1.5l of water it was 22.5kg. I've shaved a bit off since then so must re-weigh at some point. I tend not to use a backpack.

That was my Pact Wildcat. Ti framed B+, fully rigid.
psling

Post by psling »

At the WRT Weigh-In my complete set up is usually in the 50-60lbs region (22.5 - 27.5kg). That is for a comfortable 3 day 'adventure' in May in the green watershed that is Stu's back yard..
That includes everything: bike (usually a 26" HT), bags, sleep kit, food, cooking kit, water, clothing (other than that worn at start), spares & tool kit.
I find if you're not honest about the all-up weight and include everything, the only person you're kidding is yourself.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Back at the tail end of the Dachshund of Time (see below) when I would call myself a touring cyclist, I'd commonly be lugging a heavy bike, four panniers, handlebar bag and a 3kg tent on top of the rack. I'd have clothes for at least three days, including some shoes and pair of jeans, and all the odds and sods of touring life. Tools and spares: carried loads of them. I could easily top 40kg all up.

I have absolutely no idea how heavy by overnight set up is, but my Fatty isn't overly heavy (I know this now because I hefted Ben's Genesis Longitude two weeks ago and ruptured something) and if it's just a tarp, hammock and cup/meths stove for a morning coffee, I'd guess it comes to around 22kg all up. I may well give it all a weigh-in before my next overnighter. Add another 2kg for what I think I will bring to the WRT.

I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

Yes please TBD and everyone else... just a quick 20 second weigh in (stand on scales without bike, stand on scaled with laden bike in hand and subtract) would be such a lovely thread maker... maybe if it seems overly ligh then possibly how you removed what to get it to that kg
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote:Yes please TBD and everyone else... just a quick 20 second weigh in (stand on scales without bike, stand on scaled with laden bike in hand and subtract) would be such a lovely thread maker... maybe if it seems overly ligh then possibly how you removed what to get it to that kg
anyone, is there a spreadsheet from the WRT scales of truth???
Chew

Post by Chew »

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... n+wrt+chew
Maybe more recent ones available, but the spread of weights probably hasn't changed too much.

These include everything. Bike, gear & food.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I sometimes get confused between the Fatfighters weigh-in threads and the Bike weigh-in threads :wink:

In the spirit of Peter's being-honest-with-ourselves I always think we should include worn clothes, and obviously backpack if any, but everyone always ignores me :smile: .

It's interesting to look back at those 40kg touring setups we had. What on earth were we doing.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

At this time of year I'm never too fussed about the weight of things but in summer then you can get some pretty light setups without sacrificing comfort or safety. Sans food or water my Solaris in touring setup would be around 16kg, food would depend on how many nights out, water would be 750ml. I'd usually be with my wife so some kit would be shared between us.

My 'race' setup for the HT550 last year on the Salsa Spearfish (full sus) was 16.5kg. That included all spares, tools, bivy kit, electricals, spare clothes.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thats nice.. so if I aim for that as the absolute max then I should be in the right ballpark. One things for certain is that the 1kg bivi needs to go as its good for not very much. I wonder if that Nordic 600g 3 season tent is reproduced by PX ( :lol: ) or one of the online import sites like AliBaba (I forget the name of that current one of that sort)...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I think on last year's WRT weigh in my bike weighed 42lbs with food and water.
I don't have a race weight as I don't race. I ride to find bogs that I can mutter Clint to cursing the weight of my setup.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote:I sometimes get confused between the Fatfighters weigh-in threads and the Bike weigh-in threads :wink:

In the spirit of Peter's being-honest-with-ourselves I always think we should include worn clothes, and obviously backpack if any, but everyone always ignores me :smile: .
I was actually thinking earlier that a combined weight of rider and kit would be interesting. It's certainly been cheaper to shave a few kilos off my own body weight than trying to replace all my kit with the lightest possible.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

At the last WRT I weighed in at 34lb, I expect it’s a little more as I now have a suspension fork. I could possibly lose a few pounds, my tent weighs 950g and possibly trim some odds and sods but I’m nicely balanced between comfort and weight.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

As a matter of interest, what has been the lowest weight at the WRT weigh in please?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mr Scattamah takes the prize I reckon - what were you last year chap? 32-33lbs or summat bonkers?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Think it might still be alpkit Nick
redefined_cycles

BigdummySteve wrote:At the last WRT I weighed in at 34lb, I expect it’s a little more as I now have a suspension fork. I could possibly lose a few pounds, my tent weighs 950g and possibly trim some odds and sods but I’m nicely balanced between comfort and weight.
Which tent is this?? Something rediculously expensive or a bit more affordable. I like a bit of comfort (but also small pack sizes aswell and wanna get the one thing that I can use all year round (just adding layers in terms of bigger bag or adding a quilt when needed!)...
slarge

Post by slarge »

My setup can be down at 14kg. Bike is 9kg, and overnight kit is around 1.5kg inc tarp, then food and spares and clothes on top. I think the 14kg was without water, but with 1 nights worth of food?

Ht550 weight was around 16kg
RIP

Post by RIP »

"combined weight of rider and kit would be interesting". Well I don't know how this has happened but Mrs Perrin tells me that I have "a few spare moments this evening". Seems very unlikely with her around, but I took a chance and investigated said question. She even allowed me access to the scales.

In my case, rider+bike+clothes+kit, simple answer = 189lbs / 85.73kg.

To elaborate slightly, I like minimum weight but I also like to be comfy and dry at night if possible (I know, DBS). I've also got to the state where my overnight BaM kit is pretty much the same as my 3-day kit, and I'll risk saying a longer trip would be little different either. The aforementioned figure is a "wet cold winter" maximum, and breaks down as:

Please don't tell anyone on the Fatfighters thread, but what passes for my threadbare body weighs in at 10st 2 lbs / 64 kg.
Bike = 28. 6lbs / 12.9 kg (I'm sure it used to be 11.7 kg but there we go)
Worn clothes = 8.5 lbs / 3.8 kg (includes boots, socks, leggings, shorts, padded shorts, longsleeve vest, two fleeces, neckroll, UV cap, w/proof smock, helmet, 3700 lumen light/battery)
Gear = 9.5 lbs / 4.3 kg (includes seatpack, 2 bar bags, stemcell, gastank, tarp, mat, pillowpump, s'bag, downhat, tools/parts, pump, tube, 1st aid, bathroom, 18g stove, meths, windshield, pot, spork, porage/ovaltine, 500ml water, 300ml milk, 2 chew bars, bag fruit/nuts/choc, tickets, money, phone)

The only change would be for "dry summer", when I'd ditch one fleece and the smock, swap my lumicycle lamp for a joystick, and swap to a summer sleeping bag. That lot would save 1.35 kg / 3 lbs, meaning gear would be 6.5 lbs / 3 kg and bike+gear would be 35.1 lbs / 16 kg

I hope that's right. Not sure I'm any the wiser about anything now, but it was a bit of fun thanks!

(Good effort there Mr Large at 14kg!)

'Reg'

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

redefined_cycles wrote:
BigdummySteve wrote:At the last WRT I weighed in at 34lb, I expect it’s a little more as I now have a suspension fork. I could possibly lose a few pounds, my tent weighs 950g and possibly trim some odds and sods but I’m nicely balanced between comfort and weight.
Which tent is this?? Something rediculously expensive or a bit more affordable. I like a bit of comfort (but also small pack sizes aswell and wanna get the one thing that I can use all year round (just adding layers in terms of bigger bag or adding a quilt when needed!)...
It’s a nordisk telemark 2, can be had for around £400. Although not cheap it’s been ace, it’s seen off some terrible weather and is quick and easy to pitch ( 4 pegs if weather is good)
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Think Lois was around 30-31lbs at WRT last year, Reg. And yes - Taylor is right that Nick still has it at 29lbs. I asked about the benchmark and Stu and Taylor told me a funny tale about going out underprepped on a WRT weekend ;)

Greetz

S.
redefined_cycles

Lois... is tgat the name of Scotts bike?? Thats a good weight to aim for then I guess. I think my problem has been that I tried to carry too much water possibly. Gonna see to that on the next BAM hopefully (or the one after that as the next April BAM will jusy be a straightforward road affair ride down to London over 2 days on 5th/6th...)

BDS, Nordisk... I been looking at them and pretty impressive how light they are and easy to pitch up...

Might save up for one over the months hopefully