Cairngorm loop advice

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Clink

Cairngorm loop advice

Post by Clink »

Hi chaps

Thinking of doing a loop in Cairngorms tomorrow. Staying in Glen Feshie. Thinking of loop http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ngorm-loop here but going clockwise. Weather looks cold but dry, snowed last night but melted below 500m this morning. Any thoughts? Glen Feshie and Ryvoan bits I'm familiar with. Planning to do as one long ride rather than bivi.

In particular what are the sections from Bynack Mhor to Fords of Avon and Fords of Avon to Glen Derry like?

If it's too icy i will turn back - no intention of heroics!

Thanks in advance.
Chew

Re: Cairngorm loop advice

Post by Chew »

If the grounds clear, but frozen you might me ok.

If the inner loops are dry its a great route, but if its wet there will be interesting. A bit wild so make sure you're prepared
Clink

Post by Clink »

Thanks Chew. I'm taking bivi bag/lightweight sleeping bag for emergencies. If I get around to Bynack Mhor and it's too icy/too much snow I'll bail and head over to try the Burma Road, or some singletrack towards Nethy Bridge.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I was over Bynack/Ryvoan today, still plenty of snow on the track up the shoulder and I suspect in the Laraigh an Laoigh too. I cycled through Glen Derry and over Bynack a few weeks ago and there was plenty of snow then, frozen snowpack though as it was much colder, I suspect that it will be pretty soft during the day at present.
I am not sure if the Avon burn is thawing yet, it was frozen when I crossed it, would be an interesting crossing if it is thawing....
Looking at the Burma road from here it looks like there is still some snow on the tops over there too. Less cover than a couple of weeks ago but we did get some fresh snow over 600ish mtrs in the past few days.
Gari
Clink

Post by Clink »

Top info Gari, thanks.
Clink

Post by Clink »

Forecast tomorrow is pretty much below freezing all day above 500m. Good Fords of Avon...