Numpty rear mech vs 46T cog question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Numpty rear mech vs 46T cog question

Post by TheBrownDog »

Evening teamsters,

I've gone and bought a 46T Sunrace cassette and new chain, but find that my aged long arm X5 mech won't clear the big cog. It was fine with the 42T one but I got greedy at the thought of all that extra low gearing. I've wound the B-tension screw all the way, but no dice.

Any suggestions? I doubt a longer B-tension screw would work. I've seen mention of the Wolftooth Goat Link, but think this will only play with Shimano derailleurs, though exactly why I've no idea.

I don't mind replacing the derailleur either, as it's battered, a bit sloppy and the jockey wheels are close to toast anyway. But the GX mech is notoriously unreliable around the B screw area. Will a Shimano mech do the job?
I'm just going outside ...
Mike

Re: Numpty rear mech vs 46T cog question

Post by Mike »

I use a wolf tooth extension on my shimano xt mech with a sunrace 11 42 just fine. I too have bought a 46t but im not sure if it's too much over kill. Not fitted it yet so may send it back for a 42. Its bloody huge and unsightly :0) i dont know if the wolftooth will work on it or not as not tried im sure it would
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath has the Shimano 11-46T cassette on her Stooge (bought from Mike :lol: ) XT mech but I'm not sure if it's the medium or long cage but she doesn't use the clutch as it makes gear changes a bit too stiff.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

SRAM and Shimano are supposedly line ball. Ive certainly mixed and match shifters, derailleurs and cassettes over the years. And SunRace are dialled into those tolerances. I reckon a long cage XT mech and one of them there Wolf Tooth thingies will do it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

One up rad cage will sort it but probably cheaper to get an SLX 11speed rear mech which will go up to 46 nay bother
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

After a lot of faff in this dept. I found the SJS link to work on my early 10-speed XTR deraileur where the Goatlink wouldn't...but the Goatlink worked fine on the next model along. The difference being the bolt at the deraileur end of the extender bracket to be a different sizing.

Check whatever bolt/head diameter will fit said extender and make sure yours matches.

Greetz

S.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I use the same cassette on my FS with an XT long cage mech. Works fine, Goatse Link not required.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Right. Long cage XT mech and XT shifter ordered. Cheers folks.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Andy.. withnout the goat link does it n9t put loads of force/stretch on the mech?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Typically with Shimano, a medium cage rear mech will work with up to 42T for 1x systems and 36T with 2x systems. If you want more capacity, 46T on 1x or 40/42T on 2x, then you need the long cage.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Medium cage xt works fine with 46 x 1. Been running that for last 8 months with no problems.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Only running Sunrace 11-42t with an X9 long RD. The 'b' screw is about halfway in/out.
Have thought about an 11-46t but that combined with the front puts it over the RD capacity which irc is 47 or 48?
The other problem I find is getting a chain long enough with going for an 'e' rated chain.
What chain did you buy?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Mike wrote:Andy.. withnout the goat link does it n9t put loads of force/stretch on the mech?
Not that I've noticed Mike. Never really thought about it tbf - just banged it on, dialed it in and that's how it's been left. Shifts fine and it's been on there about 12 months. It is a low mileage bike compared with what we do on our bikepacking r!gs though.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Mariner wrote:Only running Sunrace 11-42t with an X9 long RD. The 'b' screw is about halfway in/out.
Have thought about an 11-46t but that combined with the front puts it over the RD capacity which irc is 47 or 48?
The other problem I find is getting a chain long enough with going for an 'e' rated chain.
What chain did you buy?
Ive got a SRAM PowerChain PC-1091 Hollow Pin. 114 links. I'm pretty sure it'll be long enough. I run a 34t chainring and the Fatty isn't hugely long. I'll graft another bit of chain to it if it comes up short.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Finally had time tonight to fit my new long cage XT rear mech only to find it wouldn't clear the 46t cog after all. Other posters to this thread have had no issues, so Im guessing it'll be the location or angle of the mech hanger that is the culprit. Not to worry. Thankfully I have a mate who runs a mobile bike mechanic business, and he popped in after dinner with a Goat Link. That did the trick nicely.

As for the chain: it only just made the distance and ideally should have one more link in it. So tomorrow night's job will be to find the least worn of the numerous 10 spd chains in my box of bits, and see if a link from it will run smoothly with the new chain. Really don't want to buy another chain for the sake of one link.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Couldn't you just fit another missing link type link?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

mechanicaldope wrote:Couldn't you just fit another missing link type link?
That's only half a link...
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

ScotRoutes wrote:
mechanicaldope wrote:Couldn't you just fit another missing link type link?
That's only half a link...
Bugger.... So it is. Use 2?... :oops:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

If you can find one of the inner missing link versions. I think Unicorn Cycles stock them.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I have an extender you can have if you "feed the bear"

PM me if you'd like a FOC mech extender.

:wink:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Thanks but as above a mate supplied one. So we're all good. Or we would have been had I thought after fitting it that it might be a good idea to re-adjust the limit screws before heading out for four hours of coaching, a 10 mile ride to a bivvy spot and an overnight in the woods. Doh. :roll: