Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Richpips »

Some poles from Stu for my Solplex.

Thanks
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

And brought a couple of books.
Scotlands Mountains before the Mountaineers, by Ian R Mitchell. Title is quite self explanatory, and a quick flick through shows the writing and research as one would expect from the author' to be of his typical high standard. A good read for any wanderer of the highlands.

Attention All Shipping: A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast, by Charlie Connelly. Not sure what to expect from this one but a wee bit of history of the various shipping areas laced with some humour looks OK on brief flick through.

Back in the day the shipping forecast was about as good a forecast as you would get for the NW Highlands when mountainerering up there, and then of course I took up sea kayaling when a LW radio was a must have, but, the number of times I must have fallen asleep during the forecast before it got to Malin, Hebrides, often waking up to the "and finally South East Iceland" Easy to forget how sketchy weather forecasts were 40 years ago.
RIP

Post by RIP »

A roll of titanium sheet for yet more stove windbreak fabrication with Stu's latest template - £2.99 for a metre, bargain. It's just wide enough for a windbreak suitable for 400ml pot perched on a BBB Hyperstove(TM). And yes I have recycled all the little pieces left over - gave 'em to my pal who makes jet engines :wink:.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312451128578
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

And brought with him the Rolls Royce (an educated guesstimate) of bags. A Wildcate Leopard.

This one actually has a little story behind it. I imagine Ian and his other half dont make the Leopard anymore - or at least theres not a link for it on the site and if if there had been I probably wouldn't havr been ablr to afford a pricetag in todays money possible £180 - so I had resigned to be working towards getting a template sorted for an Alpkit Stingray or similar.

In the meanwhile I sold a couple of items (my Apidura 11L saddlebag along with something else which I forget what) but couldnt bring myself to being lagging behind on my fundraiser for my 10 orphan sponsorship for the year in a wartorn country: I chose Syria. £408 per year and I've almost managwd to get as fsr as 2 kids - https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/kbw2019 ...

So after measuring my frame over and over again on different days (in the hope that it had grown or somehow one of the generic bags like the Blackburn Elite or the Ortlieb would magically start fitting in that funny sized triangle) and it staying the same size I retired to having to start saving up and thinking about the AK Stingray...

Then this lovely piece came along and although a bit of a larger fit for my frame and also interfering with my inner cable that joins from (comung out) the seattube into the downtube and upto the dropper lever. I thought to takw the chance and if it doenst fit then its only £38 (including delivery) and its a Wildcat which I could probably sell for a profit if I was that way inclined.

Anyway, it fits perfectly and that hook and loop (made in Wales is it!) Is just like glue...

Some call it karma or what goes round comes round. I call it

"Charity will not decrease your wealth" as taught by Muhammed PBUH (prophet of Islam)...

Here it is and its so lovely that I cannot stop smiling. Thanks to FarawayVisions.com for being so generous with her amazing kit...

ootini

Post by ootini »

A new bell, Knog Oi
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Some new shorts!
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Some funky "No, you're vaguely exciting!" stickers from Mike Travers.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

With a tarp off stu , quickly opened it out before going to work and to say it's cavernous is a understatement ,
Cheers mate :-bd
Will be put to use tomorrow when me and the boy meet up with paramart
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No problem Stu, like a nob I forgot to check to see whether there were any lines with it. If you need some just let me know ... enjoy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Volumes 9 and 10 of The Cordillera arrived yesterday.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

one of the mountain hardware synthetic bags [ 300g saving for a loss of 2 degress warmth ]
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:No problem Stu, like a nob I forgot to check to see whether there were any lines with it. If you need some just let me know ... enjoy.
No bother mate , I'll just take the lines off my solo tarp so no worries
Mart

Post by Mart »

Not bike related - but she has just dropped off 5 bags of Coffee from Taylors / Betty's tea room :-)
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Mart wrote:Not bike related...
The "How to poo" thread begs to differ.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

15m of leather thong ... not exciting but it does mean I can finish 2 bows I've made for Dee's friends. I was expecting a couple of books but sadly people had other ideas, oh well, maybe tomorrow.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:15m of leather thong ...
:shock: :shock:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

And bought me
Nukeproof flats pedals for wife's bike
Funn grips
Dakine hot laps gripper (tube/co2 holder)
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

AP racing caliper for fitting to Dee's Z650, hopefully she'll have some useable brakes now :-bd
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:AP racing caliper for fitting to Dee's Z650, hopefully she'll have some useable brakes now :-bd
Mmmm jealous. I had a z650 b1 back in the early 90's, wire wheels, single useless disc, drum rear. It's the one bike I wish I'd never sold* My old dog was even called z650 though we shortened it to Zed.

Can we have a pic please?

*well and my Guzzi 850 T3
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A wee tub of blue enamel paint to top my tent pegs with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mmmm jealous. I had a z650 b1 back in the early 90's, wire wheels, single useless disc, drum rear. It's the one bike I wish I'd never sold* My old dog was even called z650 though we shortened it to Zed.
This is a b1 Shawn. She rescued it from a barn a few years ago as a non-runner. She rode it around for a bit and went to Hell-fest in France on it. I stripped it down when she returned and have being rebuilding it very slowly ever since ... she's bought a ticket for Hell-fest again, so I'm back on it :wink:

I'll take a pic once it's back in one lump. Trouble is, she won't let me smarten it up too much as she likes the scars and bumps, whereas I just see a scruffy bike :wink:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
This is a b1 Shawn. She rescued it from a barn a few years ago as a non-runner. She rode it around for a bit and went to Hell-fest in France on it. I stripped it down when she returned and have being rebuilding it very slowly ever since ... she's bought a ticket for Hell-fest again, so I'm back on it :wink:

I'll take a pic once it's back in one lump. Trouble is, she won't let me smarten it up too much as she likes the scars and bumps, whereas I just see a scruffy bike :wink:
:-bd

I briefly thought about buying another but it's like girlfriends, never go back
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

briefly thought about buying another but it's like girlfriends, never go back
Given how popular they once were, there seems to be very few about. Those I have seen for sale are all around 5k which seems mental ... until you see people wanting 18 grand plus for a Z1, a or b and 12 grand for a 900A4.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

New hat day.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not the postman but downloaded Dave Barters book:

Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder

Might give me some inspiration (thanks the the WierdosOnBikes blog for pointing it out :-bd )