Klymit X Frame and quilt

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Klymit X Frame and quilt

Post by ScotRoutes »

Does this work as a combination? Seems to me it could be a bit chilly with the holes in the mat and the backless nature of a quilt.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Klymit X Frame and quilt

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had the small / short Klymit mat Colin. Couldn't get it to work with a quilt. Even in the height of summer it was cold. Perhaps if you fastened the back of the quilt tight, you might get away with it, don't know?
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

You'll be wearing chaps as nightware next... :shock: :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I had the small / short Klymit mat Colin. Couldn't get it to work with a quilt. Even in the height of summer it was cold. Perhaps if you fastened the back of the quilt tight, you might get away with it, don't know?

Much as I assumed. Shame as they're currently cheap on Amazon but I don't want to invest in a lighter mat if it then dictates use of a bag rather than a quilt.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I used my 3/4 Klymit with a 150 quilt last June and July on the Island. My torso was ok but if anything it was my lower legs where I could feel the cold, where they were directly on the ground, the bit of my leg that was in the footbox of the quilt.

I've now got a full length klymit which should solve this but it's a bit chilly for me to go out testing the theory at the moment.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't want to invest in a lighter mat if it then dictates use of a bag rather than a quilt.
That was exactly what I found Colin. The mat was fine and comfortable enough but only really useful with a full bag.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Colin, fine in summer if you are doing the 'R' word :wink: and just looking for rest rather than a full night's sleep but otherwise I'd go for something like the Exped Hyperlite as a minimum.
Last edited by whitestone on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Hi Colin Ive got Cumulus 150 which i've drawn in to limit of the fastening cord so its more like a bag that a traditional quilt. I used this for 5 consecutive nights in Cairngorms last summer sleeping on wooden floors /sleeping platforms in bothies with Klymit. I find it Ok. I have also used the Klymit x frame before xmas with a heavier weight bag on a wooden sleeping platform in a bothy at 2C air temp and it was fine.
I think, within reason, a lightweight sleeping system is worth it if you get the conditions right. I haven't weighed my total set up with the Ti Goat bivvy now arrived from US but I think for: Klymit, Cumulus 150, Mammut pillow and Ti Goat bivvy i should be well under 700g. Not bad for a usable sleep bivvy system for sheltered bivvying.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I used a full length x-frame with a UK Hammocks summer quilt for a week in the Highlands last May. I wasn’t at all cold. It was relatively mild though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It would appear that I am obviously soft :roll:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I just watched a Klymit video. They suggest putting the mat inside the sleeping bag so that the bag lofts into the gaps. But that would mean taking a groundsheet or risking damaging/dampening the sleeping bag :|

whitestone wrote:Colin, fine in summer if you are doing the 'R' word :wink:.
Yeah - I almost posted that in my initial comments
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I'm happy for summer bivying in the Alps and pretty much anywhere in the UK too with Klymit Inertia X-Lite and two different quilts, though I practically always use some sort of fabric or foil rsp. look for a good bedding of grass, needles etc.

For the legs I mostly use a little bit of the tough sort of bubble wrap (which would mostly act as padding in the rucksack) or rucksack or whatever available, depending on trip character and setup.

Have used it down to freezing and have survived.
In my opinion a superb mat for HT550 and similar trips.