Whilst the missus is away... Stan comes out to play

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Whilst the missus is away... Stan comes out to play

Post by redefined_cycles »

Right then.. So, after much ado, Ive finally managed to learn how to upload pics. Hopefully in the next google android update, Android will finally come up to date with the BB site and everything will work seamlessly. Until then we will continue doing our advanced thing of photo hosting (although one of the lads says that you can use Pxlr to directly add pics without a hosting site but I've yet to learn that).

So, this first post is called: WHAT I REALLY HATE ABOUT Stan (The Sonder)?

Well can you see (hopefully its uploaded nicely) the rear throughAxle. It makes me feel like a retard thats had his bike built unlovingly by one of the seniors from Halfords (I do have friends there and we do have a laff about it all and their rep). It does not feel like a refined bike built by myself at all. In fact for the past 6 years I've seen skewers through the hub at stupid angles and thought it's an unloved bike.

Now I have this issue myself and nothing can be done except for someone to suggest to me a better throug-Axle that is adjustable so I can tighten and place the thing at the rigth angle... HELP! :-bd
slarge

Re: Whilst the missus is away... Stan comes out to play

Post by slarge »

I'd be more worried by the gaping zip on your framebag and the wierd angle your bike is at in the bikestand. Wheels level fella - tis the rules.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

If the wheel goes round alright then that's job done as far as I am concerned. Get some mud on it and nobody will ever notice.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

The instructions that came with my new longitude said tighten skewer lever at 90° to desired tightening then turn lever to 45° allowing you to move lever (without tightening skewer) to desired position. Bit fiddly to get it right but it works.
redefined_cycles

slarge wrote:I'd be more worried by the gaping zip on your framebag and the wierd angle your bike is at in the bikestand. Wheels level fella - tis the rules.
I have a good reason for both (if I may :cool: )...

the wierd angle of the frame is so that the front was not putting too much force on the mechanicals of the ancient (almost 10 years now I think) bike stand... I was just swapping over tires on the rear so thought to so as much damage reduction to my kit as poss :cool:

The framebag being open and straps unkempt: I was trying to clamp the frame by the seattube first (without pressing on it too much as the carbon isn't made to be held from there with clamps) but the interaction was too tight. Hence I managed to hold it from the bulge of the dropper instead :-bd

I do agree that it does need some mud and it will hopefully get some nice mud (single and double track at Gisburn actually and god save us from sticky mud.. I hate sticky deep mud: Im not a good BB I know :oops: ).

... Scott, thanks for the axle link there buddy... will take a peek
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My bikes usually sit at a similar angle in the stand (personally and professionally). It's more stable and puts less strain on the seatpost/seattube.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

DT Swiss RWS can be tightened up and then you can pull out the handle and rotate it to where you'd like it.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Is it one of the skewers that has a nut on the drive side that can be rotated in splines until the skewer points in the desired location?

(Regards pics, dunno what version of Android you've got but it's been fine since at least 2013 and Android 4.2 :wink: )
redefined_cycles

:grin: I've got an incompatible version with the BB site...

Jonny, nope it doesnt seem to have any adjustment with that sort of thing (no nuts hat i can see)...

Sean... yes I have a DT thru axle like that already in the spares box (but not for a rear boost wheel) and the Travis axle has a similar setting with the splines that can be adjusted acvrodingly...
redefined_cycles

Turned out there was around 45 degrees of adjustment available afterall. Involved the removal of a tiny hex bolt (2mm) in the centre of the spindle that carries clamp over it... removed that and allowed the axle to be adjusted against the clamp and voila... not perfect but happy as... :-bd
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Doesn't that q/r need to be pointing aft to avoid the potential for snagging on undergrowth?
:geek:
Grubby little urchin.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Kumquat wrote:Doesn't that q/r need to be pointing aft to avoid the potential for snagging on undergrowth?

I was just going to say that. Us of the old school always have them pointing backwards :-bd

Also none matching tyre makes and you are worried about the angle of the lever :roll:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Kumquat wrote:Doesn't that q/r need to be pointing aft to avoid the potential for snagging on undergrowth?

I habitually have the front pointed backwards and the rear bisecting the angle of the chain/seat stay junction.

I also remember the pain it brought me switching from lever on the left to lever on the right when disk brakes came along.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Normally try to get them pointing backwards if possible.Front is always in line with fork leg and back is normally rear facing continuing the line from seat stay. :cool:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
redefined_cycles

And all them years I used to think its wierd being ppinting backwards!! Haha... I think I must've read it years ago in MBR (i know... learnt my lesson after the articles started repeating themselves and rpute maps had obviously not been ridden for years) and from then kept the levers in line with fork legs and rear chainstay...

I get why it shoukd be ppinting backwards on yhe rear due to undergrowth interfering. Mighy be a reason enough to get them none quick release types afterall.

Thanks fellas...
jameso

Post by jameso »

suggest to me a better throug-Axle that is adjustable so I can tighten and place the thing at the rigth angle...
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-mt ... e-EV338814

Try this - it's like an RWS but a bit cheaper, they're good too
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I can see another, even more serious issue, white zip ties for your from mudguard. :grin: :grin: :roll:
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote:
suggest to me a better throug-Axle that is adjustable so I can tighten and place the thing at the rigth angle...
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-mt ... e-EV338814

Try this - it's like an RWS but a bit cheaper, they're good too
Thanks Jameso... Just what the doctor ordered (well done on all your designs btw... legendary bikes they keep saying)...
redefined_cycles

Adventurer wrote:I can see another, even more serious issue, white zip ties for your from mudguard. :grin: :grin: :roll:
I do indeed agree and I bet you haven't npticed the wrongway round mudguard... :geek: I can explain...

I had no appropriately sized zip ties in black (or maybe I couldnt be bothered to go back to the bike workshop [also known as messy outhouse] and the reason why its the wrong way round is cos its Stans hat... not a mudguard :cool: :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Jeeeezzz, if my lever was pointing in a direction that wasn't in-line with the frame tube, I'd pour a kettle full of boiling water down my pants, then smash myself in the forehead with a hammer really, really hard ... lever will still be pointing the way it was before but you'll no longer give a f*ck.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Jeeeezzz, if my lever was pointing in a direction that wasn't in-line with the frame tube, I'd pour a kettle full of boiling water down my pants, then smash myself in the forehead with a hammer really, really hard ... lever will still be pointing the way it was before but you'll no longer give a f*ck.
Well said... and apologies... :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well said... and apologies
None needed. You crack on if it makes you happy, I was simply saying what I'd do if I found myself in a similar situation :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

:-bd well I did stick it in the general banter page... They do say the first step to curing ones problem is talking and admitting to it. I admit :grin:

Hopefully thats the end of that saga for Stan... Next up (whilst the wife was away but back now) the measuring for a Revelate Ranger.. :cool:

Template is 1mm short for every 2cm so having to accomdoate and resize whilst cutting onto the cardboard (all in the cause for a good cup of coffee should the oppostunity present itself in the cold)...