AcePac opinions/full Framebag recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

AcePac opinions/full Framebag recommendations

Post by redefined_cycles »

As per title. Am seeking to try and utilise the full triangle of the Sonder Transmitter Carbon so have been seeing which fully watersealed options I have. Not much bags seem to fit...

Any advise of which pack to go for??

Also, came across AcePacs and appears to be pretty big capacity (4.8L) on the framebag (not full but pretty hefty size). Anyone got any opinions on them and are they anywhere near as good as Revelate??

Thanks in advance
redefined_cycles

Re: AcePac opinions/full Framebag recommendations

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote:These any good to you?
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCXTFB/wo ... frame-bags
Thanks Stu. But was really trying not to go down in gradings from my Revelate too much. I have emailed the guys at Alpayamo designs for a custom full frame bag for the Sonder but they are currently away in the Himalayas.

Getting a Planet X type (I know you reviewed something that sounded similar and good reviews from yourself if thats the one) bag after having had a Revelate, I might notice the drop in quality too much you see.

Any other suggestions of custom made bags (seems that Wildcat dont have the custom option showing on their site anymore and Alpayamo are also 2/3 of the price) are much welcome. Might invest the 40 quid (on one of the online sites) for an Acepac in the meanwhile and will report back on how good it is
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have emailed the guys at Alpayamo designs for a custom full frame bag for the Sonder but they are currently away in the Himalayas.
I have a feeling they've given up completely.

Restrap do custom stuff - it appears good quality.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

What about Alpkit, surely if anyone knows the exact shape of a Sonder frame it's them. They do custom and IMO the quality is good as well.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When I was in Leeds the other day I happened to have a look at the Ortlieb bikepacking bags. The frame bag looked pretty decent. I've no idea if it is fully waterproof but reviewed here - https://singletrackworld.com/2018/03/re ... of-option/ and I think Greg May used one when he did the TDR.

Then again for that sort of money you could get Alpkit to make a custom one.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

May I recommend my friend Ross’s company in Edinburgh:

https://www.straightcutdesign.com

Happy to say it’s a a very biased opinion I have. Top quality custom bags, from photos you send in, made by a lovely guy.

Scott
redefined_cycles

Thanks for the responses guys.

Regards the Restrap, I might contavt them and see about pricings.

Alpkit... I noticed they do a custom option but prevoously haven't been too impressed by their iterations of saddlepack and toptube (but they were the prvious versions!)... Moght give it some thought but unlikely as it feels boring :roll: :-bd

Ortlieb.... wow. I have 2 saddlepacks. A 13L Apidura and a 17L Ortlieb and can state what amazing quality the saddlepack is. One of the buckles did break after its first use with a 200 mile ride to bristol (over 2 days) but luckily it was when I got home. Rutlands sorted it out straight away and the 5 year warranty is a nice peace of mind. Unfortunately the full frame pack might fit the Canyon Ultimate but would be too big on the Sonder...

@scott I might give your friends Edingburgh comoany a shot... any more details on pricing or pics of the previous productions.

Many thanks all
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Re the Alpkit frame bags. We've two. I've a custom one for my Spearfish - I bought the frame from IanPV and it came with that (I've also got a custom Wildcat frame bag for the Spearfish); I bought my wife a custom frame bag for her Surly Wednesday fat bike.

The Alpkit bags are pretty decent but aren't quite up to the standard of the Wildcat. It's one of those "hold in your hands" type differences that's hard to explain. If I needed another frame bag I'd be happy to use Alpkit again or maybe try straightcut or restrap.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

There's that other place up in the lakes ,who make bombproof rucksacks aguile or something similar ,they also make custom frame bags ,think postie rich was trying one before Christmas
redefined_cycles

If/when I have a custom bag made for the Sonder. Am gonna learn how to add pics on here and post a pic... :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I've a custom one for my Spearfish - I bought the frame from IanPV and it came with that (I've also got a custom Wildcat frame bag for the Spearfish)
any chance you could ping me over some photos or put on here?
Even better if you want to sell one of the bags
the links dont seem to work on the website
Last edited by Lazarus on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote:
I've a custom one for my Spearfish - I bought the frame from IanPV and it came with that (I've also got a custom Wildcat frame bag for the Spearfish)
Here's the Wildcat bag

Don't have a shot of the Alpkit one on the bike.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

much appreciated and interesting way to do it - any idea on rough storage capacity?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote:much appreciated and interesting way to do it - any idea on rough storage capacity?
A couple of litres maybe three. The Alpkit one is full frame but I wanted to have a water bottle in the frame so got the Wildcat one.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Lazarus wrote:
the links dont seem to work on the website
Sorry don’t know why! The Links working for me.
Lots of up to date photos on this:

https://instagram.com/straightcutdesign ... g4fut47aqo
redefined_cycles

Just took a look at some of the designs. Straighcut do look rather nice and clean looking. Pretty interested (except for the price point which would mean I'm hitting £160+ with 1 or 2 additions like zipper/compartments)...
redefined_cycles

After lots of deliberation and measuring and then umming and aarring and then seeing that Stu had doje a review on the Alpkit Stingray some time ago and was impressed... then comparing prices and thinking some more....

I've decided to go down the route of getting a Stingray custom made. If anyone has any suggestions on what additions to a frame bag they find most useful for robustness and longevity then please feel free to add your thoughts.

Provisionally I'm thinking an extra pocket on the opposite side and then an extra zipper on the side which holds the main pocket... seeing as though my Revelate Tangle is 6cm wide, I might use that same dimension on the Stingray and hopefully (if I keep the dimensions tight enough for the triangle so the Stingray can stretch a bit) I wont get any rubbing of heels at the cranks as I have a Boost frame and cranks.

If anyone is able to throw down theur thoughts and experiences of full frame bag then its much appreciated.

Shafiq