Would you buy a PX Packraft?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Would you buy a PX Packraft?

Post by pistonbroke »

There's a slightly shoutier version of the thread about the Jones Bar copy that PX are selling on STW to which Brant has contributed. He has hinted that they are planning to sell all things bikepacking soon including packrafts.
This has got my twisted mind working with the transcript of a possible call to their customer services.
Customer
"Hello, I'm half way across a big lake and my PX packraft has sprung a leak, I think I'm sinking!"
PX
"Where are you ringing from?"
Customer
"The waist down!"

I'll get my coat.
wriggles

Re: Would you buy a PX Packraft?

Post by wriggles »

It would never happen. You would be long drowned nbefore they picked the phone up!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

exactly what i thought

To be fair they answered my e-mail after 5 days and three lies[ from different people] later I had my bits.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Didn't think I had many morals about buying the bars but after reading some of his comments I'd rather not contribute to them ,not that they'll miss my £21 but f@#ck em ( comments may have been tongue in cheek and they weren't about me but obviously very sensitive to having his fabricators slated)
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i also failed to ever warm to Brant and not sure why there is such love in for him over there [ i suspect much of it is to do with him being mates with STW towers] I found him and his business model to be peddle PR and deliver tat [ that may or may not be bargain].]
Unless it was trousers in which case it was to peddle someone else jeans as very expensive but somehow authentic.

The model will work with PX /on one as the price point is so good
Anyone remember those London bikes where the seat post did not fit ?

If we mention him again will he also appear here?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

pistonbroke wrote:There's a slightly shoutier version of the thread about the Jones Bar copy that PX are selling on STW to which Brant has contributed. He has hinted that they are planning to sell all things bikepacking soon including packrafts.
This has got my twisted mind working with the transcript of a possible call to their customer services.
Customer
"Hello, I'm half way across a big lake and my PX packraft has sprung a leak, I think I'm sinking!"
PX
"Where are you ringing from?"
Customer
"The waist down!"

I'll get my coat.
My thoughts exactly. :-bd a mate bought a PX frameset after I had told him and everyone that cared to listen "DON'T"... Turned out the carbon had some section missing. Upon clarification from PX they told hum that it would affect performance... :roll: I dont believe he did end up getting refunded and I think just built it up. Not that he ever updated me after telling me of the holes. Might be that he was finally a bit embarassed
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Didn't think I had many morals about buying the bars but after reading some of his comments I'd rather not contribute to them ,not that they'll miss my £21 but f@#ck em ( comments may have been tongue in cheek and they weren't about me but obviously very sensitive to having his fabricators slated)
Oh yeah, I think this was perhaps aimed in my direction.
Someone was taking the piss out of the joints, but they’re nitto’s joints, and I figure they know better than some bikepacking keyboard warrior.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’m the keyboard warrior around here thank you very much, if I started making some of those bars they’d not get finished
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Yep that's what I thought , need to stop going on stw as my already high blood pressure starts peaking at some of the cockwombles (the same maybe said about me :lol: ) but if you put pictures up of unshaped flanges to be welded for sure you've got to expect some criticism and the excuse of its not mine but somebody else's dosent really wash as you've commissioned them to do a job , it would be different if it all had to be cut and shaped by hand but nowadays a monkey can do it, rant over ,blood pressure tablets taken
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I wouldn't mind but I only said
Profiling on those ^ tubes leaves a bit to be desired ... my old man'd turn in his grave :wink:
in relation to the picture below.

Apologies for any offence but I stand by it, my old man would turn in his grave. In fact, I can hear his words now - "what 'ave you cut them with a knife an' fork"

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh and here's a picture of my tube profiling, done by hand, in a barn ... just as a reference you understand.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

That is pretty poor tbh [ them not your barn bodge :wink: ] but they know the weld will hide it- that said surely, if using a machine/templates, its not any more expensive to do it well
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Aaanyway, back on topic, would anyone have enough confidence in whichever manufacturer they have found to make packrafts to sail off into deep cold water in one?
We generally trust their tyres, seatposts, bars, frames etc not to terminally harm us but there's something about bobbing about in 200ft of water that is different.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

not worried about me as I can swim but all my bikepacking gear and my bike going down in the middle of nowhere with me wet and swimming to the side with only me wits to protect me

Its a no from me
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

pistonbroke wrote:Aaanyway, back on topic, would anyone have enough confidence in whichever manufacturer they have found to make packrafts to sail off into deep cold water in one?
We generally trust their tyres, seatposts, bars, frames etc not to terminally harm us but there's something about bobbing about in 200ft of water that is different.
If it was me I would go with the quality controlled manufacturers. In Islam we have a saying (that the prophet muhammed PBUH taught us),

"tie your camel and then have trust in Allah/The Almighty Lord"..

So what I always do is buy the best I can whilst (in my opinion it is) follwoing that advice. I drive a Subaru SpecB estate which I keep well serviced and loved (albeit looking a bit tatty and in need of a wash too soon) and when I got my Sonder (after having experienced the quality of their drybag which is now going on strong for over 6 years) I asked the lads how strong it was (after having learnt from extensove reading already that carbon isnt supposed to be as flimsy (except for PX I suppose) as they (the mags/reviews) make put...

Sonder responded that its their strongest frame yet and comes with 5 years (warranty).

Apologies for the sermon... Please dont buy a raft made by the boys that wanted to have us all riding InBreds!!

:roll: :-bd
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Just for balance, I’ve had three steel frames, one ali frame, a carbon frame and now a ti frame plus bars, chainrings and lots of other kit from On-One. All of them were unique, rode great, at a fantastic price, and I’ve never had a problem, either with their products or customer service. Guess I must be blessed.

The PX business model may not be squeaky clean but it has, over the years, made innovative stuff available to people like me who can’t afford boutique prices.

And, yes, I’d consider a PX packraft, at the right price and following enough research to give me confidence.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I hope they don't do pack rafts.
Their on one Fatties flooded (no pun intended) the fat bike market and killed it dead.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Their on one Fatties flooded (no pun intended) the fat bike market and killed it dead.
Really? Wrong. I got one six years ago and never looked back. Frankly, they defined the market and brought fat bikes to it.
I'm just going outside ...
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

I would definitely buy one then spend the money I save on a good dry suit, a buoyancy aid and some swimming lessons as would definitely be requiring them with a PX packraft. :grin: :grin:

In fact no not for me.Would rather spend with someone who actually knows what customer service is. :-bd

I'm away to STW now to laugh at the thread about the bars. :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Charlie, it's not about PX bashing. I currently run a small fleet of bikes that visitors to our B&B business hire to avoid exorbitant costs of flying their own here to Spain. It includes 3 Lurchers, 2 Dirty Disco Gravel bikes, a Pro Carbon and a Scandal. Our own bikes include a Ti29er a Stealth TT bike for MrsPB's triathlons, so I'm happy with PX, particularly as I built them all myself.
The thought process of "it might not be 100% perfect but it was cheap" isn't one I'd be happy with bobbing about on deep water.
Having worked there for 21/2 years the idea of various employees doing product testing floating down the river Don is quite funny.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

JohnClimber wrote:I hope they don't do pack rafts.
You'll have to explain that one to me...
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

He means it was no longer niche/exclusive/special.

Everyone interested tried it for them selves and realised it wasn't some magic bullet.

*Fat bike owner and proud but it's no magic bullet*
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

No.

Not unless ownership of the company changed.

I have no problems with brant as a designer. We may not agree on everything but he is helpful, knowledgeable and interested in what his customers are up to. The rest of PX/OO could be put up against a wall and shot and I'd not shed a tear. I've never dealt with a company so full of liars. When you get three different stories to explain the non-delivery of the goods you've ordered, each one more incredulous than the last, you begin to realise it's not just an individual thing, it's a corporate culture.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I have no problems with brant as a designer. We may not agree on everything but he is helpful, knowledgeable and interested in what his customers are up to
Also, he was instrumental in helping Cy at Cotic along the way to his first 100 frames and therefore up and running. My mountain biking the last 10years has been so bound up in Cotic that I can bearly imagine it without now. So, for that alone, I have the time of day for Brant.

I’d doubt I’d buy one of their packrafts though... :lol:
Give the dirt a little room.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One of my all time favourite bikes is my 29er Inbred. It's being largely faultless over the years. I've also had numerous other On-One / PX products and in the main, they've all being fine. However, I am a realist and know that not every budget minded item on the market (no matter who's selling it) will be 100% perfect.

Would I buy a PX packraft? I'd certainly take a look and wouldn't dismiss it.