Frame protection for frame bags.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Frame protection for frame bags.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Riding around in the Welsh mud and grinding paste with any sort of frame bag, always results in the areas of the frame the bag's in contact with getting scratched.

I've looked at various products, namely different sheets of sticky backed stuff to put on the frame to help save the paint but can't decide which (if any) would be do the job.

Any experiences most welcome ... or should I stop being a tart and just except the scratches and rubbing as adding character? ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Re: Frame protection for frame bags.

Post by Taylor »

Tart!

My Epic bags have taken loads of paint of my head tube though so I just use duct tape if needs be.
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

I prefer the use of teddy bear fur it's is really soft on the delicate parts of my Swift ;)
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Used that overpriced clear tape that comes in various precut pieces, works well. But now using black insulation tape, cheap and easily removed.
Matt

Post by Matt »

can't see the point really,

scratches = use

use is good.

Think of it like a Land Rover, scratches, dents and bent bits only add to the product. A pristine Land Rover is just wrong in everyway. The same should be true of a mountain bike.
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

very well said Matt however maybe Stu is looking for longevity in stopping rust/corrosion as well as keeping his bike pristine looking for re-sale when the time comes ;)
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

helicopter tape would definitely do the job. takes some practise to wrap tubes (hair dryer to heat it)

scratches are fine but i've seen frames worn through from rubbing bottle cages.

I trashed a carbon seatpost in 50 miles where the seatbag rubbed it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A pristine Land Rover is just wrong in everyway.
I think you slipped the word pristine into that sentence by mistake. I assume you meant - A Landrover is just wrong in everyway ;)
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

In my old shop we had a simier type of helicopter tape for frame protection, iv used this on my genesis and it has stayed put for over 2years. I just recently brought actual helicopter tape for the missus bike and was really impressed with it not only is it protecting the frame it gave her bike a new look. I'm just about to cover the frame on my new 29er in a mixture of left over tape il use the helicopter tape for the big tubes if i decide against black lecky tape and the replica tape for fork and stays.
The genuine heli tape is super strong if you would like a sample to get a idea of what thickness is like I could mail a sheet!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm with Matt all the way, every scar tells a story. I love the battered look when it comes to bikes, this weekend I'm going to paint the back end of the Lynskey with my 3yr old using leftover tins of gloss from the garage. Probably do some potato prints on it.

But then Ti frames dont rust and after the winter my sons painting will have rubbed off from all the mud anyway. :P
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Alright I give in, I'll leave its scars to fester :o

MM, thanks for the kind offer but I think you'd be better sending it to Matt to help hold his Landrover together ;)

Anthony ... this paint job I need to see but why stop at the rear triangle? Go mad, do the lot!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Insulation tape here. I'm not subjecting my beloved Pegasus to all that welsh mud and grit without a bit of tape keep it looking nice.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Ooohh Stuart think of the weight!! I have completely de-stickered it this week so some will be offset :lol:

Pot cosy made cheers, your box went 1st class this afternoon. It's more 'Ooo they'll come in handy rather than, Ooo how exciting' I'm afraid.
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

I'll be using some self-amalgamating tape when I finally get my bags. It's a rubber tape that only sticks to itself, it stays put but doesn't stick to the frame. I've always done my chainstays with the stuff.
You can get it anywhere that sells electrical supplies. It's used for sealing aerial and satellite cables.

- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good call, I've used it a few times for various things but it hadn't crossed my mind to use it for this*.

* Obviously I won't be using this or any other product to protect my frame.