Maybe £21 unless the price on the website has yet to change

Not sure if calling it Geoff was very tactfull but atleast it’s not Jeff
Attachments
71217BD0-1B09-4A8B-BA73-B38DCDE4C54D.jpeg
71217BD0-1B09-4A8B-BA73-B38DCDE4C54D.jpeg (83.32 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
Jurassic pusher

Re: Looks like another loop bar coming

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Not sure if calling it Geoff (not Jeff) is takng the p1ss or flattery ??
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I wonder if they are the ones Alpkit bailed on?
Alpkit-Fu-Manchu-handlebars-Bikepacking-Jeff-Jones-H-bar.jpg
Alpkit-Fu-Manchu-handlebars-Bikepacking-Jeff-Jones-H-bar.jpg (10.34 KiB) Viewed 5151 times
jameso

Post by jameso »

Are they calling it Geoff? That'd be taking the piss a little, maybe a 'working title' for grabbing attention. The bars, someone was going to do it. They've been there in a Taiwanese bar and seatpost maker's catalogue for a while.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Can't see this going down well on STW... Will watch with interest!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't see this going down well on STW
Maybe but the internet outrage will be tempered with folk buying them by the bucketful.
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOGB/on- ... -handlebar

Yep expect they will sell loads

Might have been tempted to try them if it was the cut version they had copied
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm interested to know what a 'Brian' or 'Mike' bar looks like and quite disappointed they haven't called one a 'Lion' :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm interested to know what a 'Brian' or 'Mike' bar looks like :wink:
They're ok but not a patch on the carbon Malcolm 710's I've got on the Krampus
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Still tempted as I don't wanna spend £££££ on a set of loops to find I can't get on with them ,so it may be a set of these first, and then passed onto the youngfella at a later date( as long as they don't collapse under my pleasantly plump frame :wink: )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They're ok but not a patch on the carbon Malcolm 710's I've got on the Krampus
No, they really have got bars named Brian and Mike.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I’m waiting for the bull moose I think
Attachments
7799BC8E-C7BB-43BB-9FF4-9B2546F8A834.jpeg
7799BC8E-C7BB-43BB-9FF4-9B2546F8A834.jpeg (114.51 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Profiling on those ^ tubes leaves a bit to be desired ... my old man'd turn in his grave :wink:
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Wonder how much/how heavy a carbon "chewy" one like their knuckleball bar would be? Have looked at a Jones carbon but the price is frankly ridiculous, even for a Jones bar.
paramart

Post by paramart »

just made a pre order payment on these if they are poop then so be it, got to change my hand position,
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I seem to recall that Jeff Jones ended up contacting Alpkit and saying - "Don't sell these or else my lawyers will be in touch" whereupon Alpkit withdrew them (and then sold the container load they had received on the QT)

Maybe on -one are a bit more thick skinned.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I seem to recall that Jeff Jones ended up contacting Alpkit and saying - "Don't sell these or else my lawyers will be in touch" whereupon Alpkit withdrew them (and then sold the container load they had received on the QT)

Is the issue not with the manufacturers rather than the re-sellers? As James says, only a matter of time before someone picked them up. Are these the same bars as fitted as OE to the new Ribble Adventure?

{simply saying what others are thinking} ... if On-One can punt these out for less than £25 and make a profit, does it not make the price of the genuine article seem somewhat mental? I don't think Jeff's are hand bent over the thighs of virgins in a shack in Colorado {stopped now}
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

htrider wrote:I seem to recall that Jeff Jones ended up contacting Alpkit and saying - "Don't sell these or else my lawyers will be in touch" whereupon Alpkit withdrew them (and then sold the container load they had received on the QT)

A little bird told me that this is basically the Planet X business model...
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just thinking about this and thought .... ripping off other peoples designs makes me very uneasy and I'm sure these bars will cause an internet storm in a teacup but I wonder how many of those throwing stones at glass houses from their tall horses, have considered buying a tent or tarp from AliExpress because most on there are blatant copies of existing designs. The Trailstar's a very obvious one but there's lots more.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just thinking about this and thought .... ripping off other peoples designs makes me very uneasy and I'm sure these bars will cause an internet storm in a teacup but I wonder how many of those throwing stones at glass houses from their tall horses, have considered buying a tent or tarp from AliExpress because most on there are blatant copies of existing designs. The Trailstar's a very obvious one but there's lots more.
I'd like to try a Trailstar but it's an expensive experiment. I'll not be buying a copy from AliExpress though. I have some morals.

There are lots of grey areas though. Sometimes it's difficult to differentiate between a blatant copy and a development. Maybe it's just more tangible with some items than others.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:ripping off other peoples designs makes me very uneasy
Yeah I'm a little conflicted it's nice to buy some stuff from people like Jeff but did he really invent swept handlebars? no, or handlebars with a loop bit, dunno but there are others. I guess it depends if he has some kind of patent?

It's pretty hard to fathom the price of jones bars (or anything)...might order some of the Geoffs just to mess about with at that price...and coz they might disappear once the law suits start :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There are lots of grey areas though. Sometimes it's difficult to differentiate between a blatant copy and a development. Maybe it's just more tangible with some items than others.
Very true Colin. I'm often conflicted when it comes to things like this, I suppose you just have to make your own mind up on a case to case basis.
It's pretty hard to fathom the price of jones bars (or anything)
Guessing here but maybe that's part of the problem? I reckon a lot of people will buy these but the same people would never have bought Jones bars. Easy to argue that these will lose Jones very few sales ... see conflicted (see above). :wink:
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

restlessshawn wrote: It's pretty hard to fathom the price of jones bars (or anything)...might order some of the Geoffs just to mess about with at that price...and coz they might disappear once the law suits start :wink:
The price of jones bars to me falls right in the "taking the piss" category of pricing. I'm sure they're very nice but still. On top of that they don't exactly scream of genius levels of inventiveness who's originality deserves to be protected for eternity. If his bars are so good they offer something special then good on him and he can continue to sell them at his price point. If not then market forces will dictate the correct price.
paramart

Post by paramart »

hope fully get these when in stock and stick my Chinese tarp on them, unfortunately morals don't pay the bills I do, and I get what I can afford how many people go to a bike shop try on stuff make an excuse then buy cheap off the web,
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You definitely pay for the mans design input, whether you consider that's a rip off or worth it is subjective. As a jones owner I'm not really in a position to be objective....

I guess my beef with these is that they are largely a copy. I'd like to try loops with a 35 degree sweep and I'm sure others are put off by the full 45 degrees of the Jones bar. So why couldn't on one come up with some different sweeps, rises etc and produce an addition to whats available rather than just ripping it off.

Hey ho that's capitalism :???: