New Bike Day.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

New Bike Day.

Post by Ray Young »

Though it's not here yet, :sad: .

But it will be in 2-3 hours, :grin: .

Just finishing the housework then removing the Jones loops from the current bike to put on the new bike.

When it arrives.

It's been a long day :wink: .
Keith74

Re: New Bike Day.

Post by Keith74 »

Ohh what is it? Waiting to see the pics.

Happy new bike day.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

What a tease! ;)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

restlessshawn wrote:What a tease! ;)
I don't know if I'm supposed to look here or the Postie thread! :lol:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

And here she is.

ImageIMG_20190116_165324935 by Raymond Young, on Flickr

A brand new, albeit a 2016 model, Genesis Longitude for the princely sum of £599.99.
Ever since the demise of my much loved Charge Cooker frame (replaced with a discounted on one inbred frame that I never took to) I have been on the look out for something that I could love and cherish again.
I don't recall how I came across this but I found it on Sprockets Cycles web site 3 months ago. They wanted £100 more for it then and I would have bought it but it was coming up to Christmas and I decided I couldn't afford it.
After new year they dropped the price by that £100. Well that was it. I rang them to see how many they had, "one was the reply, small only". Mmmm, better get me skates on thinks I so I hit eBay to get the extra £200 I needed (who needs a playstation and you can only play one ukulele at a time).
Stu had done a review of a pre production version of this bike way back when so I pm'd him to ask about sizing as he is the same height as me. He confirmed what the Genesis size guide had said (thanks Stu), I'd fit a medium or small so that was it, I hit the buy button. The small frame has turned out to be the perfect size for me. The only thing I didn't expect is the 2x10 gearing as I thought these were 3x10 but I'm certainly not complaining. 27.5+ tyres, shimano deore throughout and an alloy fork. I'm not bothered about the fork being alloy as i'm more tortoise than hare these days. It came with Gorilla cages and I also recieved today two 5 litre pod sac dry bags from planet x to go in them. At £3 each plus postage they are a bargain.
I'm going to fit my Jones loop bar, Nukeproof flatties and narrow saddle tomorrow morning then i'll be off for a ride.
My frame bag should fit quite nicely too, :-bd :grin: .
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Had mine for about 15 months now and absolutely love it , the bouncy bike has hardly been out since ,it just asks to be ridden ( the wife calls it the mistress you can make your own thoughts as to why :lol: )
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Very nice!
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Looks great and a nice bargin. Can't wait to see it once you have modified it for yourself.

Sprokets is a good wee shop.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

I've got that one - Love it. Enjoy.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

macinblack wrote:I've got that one - Love it. Enjoy.
I surely will.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Hell of a bike for £600!!!! :-bd :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looking good Ray, just need some bags and mud on it :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

padonbike wrote:Hell of a bike for £600!!!! :-bd :grin:
Bloody right. :grin: :grin: :grin: .
ootini

Post by ootini »

Congratulations. Looks very nice
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:Looking good Ray, just need some bags and mud on it :-bd
Guarantee, won't be long.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That's great value
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

What a great deal.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Nice one Ray, I'm working down your way nowadays, fancy a bivvy out in the pentlands sometime? Get it muddied up a bit!
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Nice ! I hate being about that size as I always fall dead between small and medium... on the plus side it’s saved me buying quite a few bikes as I couldn’t decide which size
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

An excellent choice sir (I would say that with a Longitude myself). Look forward to seeing it out and about.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Blair512 wrote:Nice one Ray, I'm working down your way nowadays, fancy a bivvy out in the pentlands sometime? Get it muddied up a bit!
Aye, I'm up for that Blair. We need to organise another Scottish Spring ride too.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Well that's the changes made and the first ride done and I'm both impressed and very happy.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/169272415@N07/1165ct

I fitted my Jones loops but found they come back a bit too far with the oe stem. A root around in the spares box conjured up a Charge own brand stem 10mm longer so I fitted that. It's silver so clashes a bit but I can live with that. I kept all the spacers below the stem to give a bar higher than saddle position as I have a neck problem that is easier to cope with in a more upright position.
I then went about setting up the saddle which I didn't change as it's exactly the same dimensions as my other one. Set the furthest back on the rails as possible it was ok but not perfect. Another root around revealed a seat post with an extra 1cm of layback. It was the same diameter as the seat tube and a bit lighter but stiffer than the thinner Genesis seat post with shim so that went on too. Now my position on the bike was near enough spot on.
Lastly I set up the brake and shifter angle.
All this faffing took longer than planned but I was glad I had sorted the bike as much as possible before hitting the trail because when I pulled up at the car park in The Pentland Hills I realized that in my excitement to get out I'd left my backpack with my phone, wallet, tools etc in the shed back at home. Doh! Anyway a planned 3 hour ride turned into a shorter 1 1/2 hour ride staying within walking distance of the car should anything go wrong.
The only thing I could adjust on the trail was the tyre pressure dropping a couple of psi per tyre but that's something I'll have to experiment with.
The saddle was very slightly out of line but not noticeable when riding.
First impressions are great. Lifting the bike it feels heavy but that weight seems to just fall away as you start riding and the + tyres with the lowered pressure soaked up loads of trail chatter. The gearing is 26/38 up front and 11/36 out back and whilst I coped unladen I think I might struggle all packed up so have ordered a deore crankset with 24/36 rings. Not a vast difference but it will help. I'll eBay the Samox crankset once the other one arrives.
So I'm very happy with my purchase and am confident I will grow to cherish her as much as my old Charge Cooker if not more.
She is called "So What Else Would You Be Doing". If your not an Ian M Banks fan you probably won't understand.
The pod sac dry bags I bought don't fit the gorilla cages so I'll be looking for something else.
middleagedmadness

No problems with the 5l podsacs and gorilla cages here ray , I just cut off all the faf at the sides of the bags and open the cages fully
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

middleagedmadness wrote:No problems with the 5l podsacs and gorilla cages here ray , I just cut off all the faf at the sides of the bags and open the cages fully
I found that when full the velcro straps only had a small attachment area. I could add a bit to the strap but I think I prefer taller slimmer bags.
middleagedmadness

They do cinch up well ,but a taller bag would be more useful ,I was only looking at the proper gorilla bags today but they're a bit pricey just to try