Bikepacking nightmares?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Bikepacking nightmares?

Post by TheBrownDog »

So, tell us your horror stories: farmers with weapons, burning tents, MYOG disasters, dreadful tea rooms. What has made you stronger because it didn't kill you?
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bikepacking nightmares?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Food poisoning on day 2 of a 3 day trip - Suffering quad insertion strains in both legs within minutes - Seperating my shoulder but having to ride another 40 miles - Realising that you're entering the 3rd stage of hypothermia.

None of the above were pleasant but even if you suffered them all at the exact same time, it wouldn't compare to the extreme suffering of spending a night in the same bothy as 'Dan the amazing snoring man'*

*I'm not joking either ... it nearly broke me!
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Food poisoning ... bad news. Trust it was not a Greg Lemond bad peach experience ... nasty

http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/243

I popped a shoulder out once. It hurt like hell, but not nearly as much as popping it back in a mad blind panic. My buddy Mike The Bike says my screams gave him nightmares for months.
I'm just going outside ...
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

This should be a good thread! :)

One of my biggest nightmares was when I had to pitch up quickly to save me heading into the fells when it was getting dark. I didn't realise there was lots of stagnant water nearby which meant the place was crawling with midges. It was terrible, I had no extra clothing to cover my legs or face so ended up getting eaten alive. To make matters worse I had some insect repellent, I put it on after I'd been bitten though so it felt like I'd been set on fire when I applied it! I only got some respite once I'd got into my tent, even so I struggled to sleep with all the itching and burning. In the morning it was much the same again but in reverse! When I got home and peered into a mirror I looked like a childs drawing of someone with measles.

It will never happen again...I'll alway have something to cover my legs and a headnet when the little buggers are about.

EDIT: After reading some of the others on here, mine pales in comparison! :shock:
Last edited by d45yth on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Got overtaken by a car on the road which threw up a tiny bit of grit that hit me in the eye. Instant pain, blurred vision and streaming eye. Nothing I did would dislodge it and every time I blinked it scored my cornea causing more and more pain. 20 mile ride to A&E who also couldn't fix it. 5 mile ride to eye hospital. They sorted me out but my eye was a mess. Got back home in a foul mood so went to the local to drown my sorrows. Double swing doors in the pub one of which was open, because of the patch on my eye I walked straight into the closed one, whole pub laughs at me.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Having to do 2 days riding in 1 day to get back home because I lost my credit card. 80 miles on a Mars bar and a packet of bourbons, worst case of the bonk ever.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hmmmmmm

Slug attacks just about every time I sleep outside (even in winter!)

Dan the snoring man was bad though....
Ian

Post by Ian »

Did a Polaris Challenge in the Western Lakes once with a mate. Rode all the first day, no problems. Got to the overnight spot, asked my mate for the tent poles. "What tent poles, I thought you had them?"...

Leyburn Polaris - the only time the event had ever been reduced to a one day affair due to adverse weather (gale force winds and lashing rain). Arrived at overnight camp soaked to skin, cold and not fully functioning. All I had for shelter was a goretex single hooped bivvy - took ages to get my kit sorted. Balloon bed was the worst - so cold I couldn't blow the balloons up properly and knot them. Got it sorted after about half and hour and eventually got dry and warmed up.

More recently, a trip with flatfishy in the Black Mountains - seems I'd come down with a bug the kids had got at home, left me incredibly weak/ short of energy. Got to camp and I was not a happy (or functional) chap. If I'd have been on my own, it would have been very difficult indeed.

Also, flatfishy will be able to recount the tale of a wet and windy Feb bivvy in the Beacons where he was somewhat ill-equipped in the tarp department.

A night in the presence of Dan the Snoring Man represents one of the worst nights sleep I've endured.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

All mine seem relatively lame by comparison. Last week I remembered that the loch I was going to fill my bottles from was a sea loch, after I'd pitched my tent. I then discovered that six degrees below the limit temperature for my sleeping bag felt pretty cold on my feet. No permanent harm done though... :D