Dropper post question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

Dropper post question

Post by padonbike »

May seem a silly question but .... if cable from the handlebar control to the dropper snaps during a ride, does the seatpost remain at the highest height or does it drop down to the lowest? Mine is a Fox Transition as I suppose they may all behave differently.
johnnystorm

Re: Dropper post question

Post by johnnystorm »

I would have thought that the cable just releases a locking pin so a snapped cable will keep the saddle in the position it was in.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It'll stay up
benp1

Post by benp1 »

On my reverb I'm pretty sure it would stay at whatever height it was at
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

If the cable snaps it will stay at the height it is at.

You can however then remove the dropper and activate the mechanism by hand at the bottom of the post and it will return to full height. Re-install then ride to the end.. that model of post it’s quite simple to do.

If something else breaks inside the post then the post could start to sag under load or under its own weight. In which case carrying a wolf tooth components valais collar as an emergency crutch is a good idea. Pull the post to full extension fit the collar just above the seal on the post. Then ride to the end...

I have a revelate vole saddle bag that comes with one of the collars. Expensive! But very stable.

I know that Huw O. uses the same, but on his size medium bike he struggles for under saddle clearance. On my size large Im okay!

You’re spark has less travel than our bikes though so may be okay.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Cheers guys, especially Scott for the replies. Hopefully it will never happen, but just good to know.
I always carry a hoselock anyway ever since the day I destroyed a lever type (not allen bolt!) seat collar in the middle of Glen Affric.
Cheers :-bd