Which Exposure bar light for multi-days?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Which Exposure bar light for multi-days?

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm using a Strada at the moment which I really don't get on with off road due to the beam pattern. It was bought for Helen's road riding and I need to get something better

I'm trying to work out which of the MaxD/Toro/Six Pack is the best option for 3-4 days with the possibility of an overnight charge at a B&B

I'm leaning towards MaxD with the bigger battery but interested in other thoughts. Must be Exposure as I've invested heavily in their mounts and rear lights.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Which Exposure bar light for multi-days?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Whichever one Burty and Mike have got. Lasts for days (nights) and really does transform the darkest night into a sunny summers day.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got a Toro Mk 10. I've also got the remote switch for it. Most of the time I'll just be riding along with it on the 36 hour (prg 6 low) setting but the remote means I can turn it up to medium or high as required. As I don't need to move my hand from the grip to change settings I can keep it on the lowest I can get away with to maximise battery life.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

The Diablo for me. Not too heavy on your lid and the lower lumen settings are fine for lower paced off roading.
I'm just going outside ...
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Toro on the bars as Sean said 36 hours on prog 6, Diablo on the helmet, perfect combo in my opinion.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Toro it is then. Downside of the remote is that you cannot use the redeye yes?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That is the only issue with the remote yes. I've got a TraceR on the rear. You could just use the button on the Toro to change output levels it just means taking a hand off the bars to do it.

If I'm just doing a road ride I'll leave it on the 36 hour setting and plug my red eye in as I leave it on the bike for when the dyno light is on the bars.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'd go with a max D (but not the one that connects to your phone) On minimum power (which is enough to see by on double track) battery life is 36 hours. Even on medium its good for 12 hours and good enough to see on pretty much anything. Beam spread is ace and ideal for letting oncoming cars who forget to dip their beams know of their error.
burty

Post by burty »

mine is the exposure six pack ,and as stu says it can turn night to day .
On the other hand it has a setting that will last for 36 hours , :-bd
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

All of those three are plenty powerful enough for general use to be honest. I've just replaced my 7 year old maxx d with a brand new one and it's very, very bright on max. The six pack is quite a chunky bit of kit to carry if you dont definitely need the light or battery life.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

None of them have a setting for over 36 hrs so the models with bigger batteries will just be brighter.

A MaxD will be 200 lumens at 36 hrs
A Toro will be 111 lumens at 36 hrs

I've got a lezyne with a 100 and 200 lumen setting so I compared these settings before I bought my Toro. There wasn't enough of a difference for me to want to spend the extra for a light further up the range. My Toro was just over £200 on sale :smile: MaxD's were still over £400 :o
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've got a vintage six-pack (mk2?) that lasts 24hrs on low (800 lums iirc) and invariably I'll just leave it on that setting. It'd be nicer having something smaller than a big tin of beans perched on the bars though.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

get the best light you can afford,go for a powerfull one so you can run it half power for twice the battery life,had a exposure 6 pack for 2 years and a joystick on the helmet,my 6 pack is 4500 lumens
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

benp1

Post by benp1 »

The 6 pack is massive though! I appreciate it's a long running light and the batteries have to go somewhere, but it's seriously big

I was looking at a Toro as it's small enough, bright enough and long lasting enough for a few days. I bought one of the Bikehut 1600 lights as they were so cheap and had the all in one form factor, but that's now often on my son's bike so I keep looking at the Toro again. Missed an offer on them a short while back so waiting to see if there are any big discounts in the pipeline. The 6 pack is 150g more than the Toro, that's 64% more. The Maxx D is a bit of a sweet spot I suppose
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I bought a MAXX-D a few months ago. Usual Exposure quality and has a great beam. Only issue I have so far is that it seems to reset its Program each time I charge it. I do wonder if I'm doing something wrong though.

I like having a digital readout of power level. The standard colour'hanging LED alternative plays with my anxiety - badly. The automatic dimming while stationery is cool too and a good way to increase battery longevity.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I had a mk2 maxx-d since pretty much when they were released, which I recently (about 1.5 years ago!) replaced with a Toro. (Although the Maxx-D is now a workshop inspection torch...! ) Plenty of light output, and you can tune output to suit. Remember the larger lights will also take longer to charge up to 100% as you've got another cell in there (but either way I guess you could argue that x hours of charging give x hours of light output - as it's all just energy transformations, so like with all things it's a balance, my take on the balance is that the Toro is more than enough - and cheaper/lighter than the others too).

Inspection torch Maxx-D:

323 (19-11-2017) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

exposure[edit] JOYSTICK[edit] light with an external battery back?

Not as bright as the above bu tit still does 1000 lumens and is beyond adequate for any riding i have done even as my only light. Lowest setting is fine for uphill and flat. Also has the ability to go on helmet and also can be used as a lightweight light on its own giving 3-6 hours use

With the external battery [ mtb batteries £60* ish]you get the run times mentioned above - though it is may be at less lumens
* you will get run times towards a week with this but with lower lumens and , with some fettling, the spare pack can be used to power other USB devices/ as a battery bank
Its an adaptable though nt uie as btight [ but cheaper and lighter] option
Last edited by Lazarus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I don't know about the rain, but you could power an Exposure light with a power pack and the USB cable no?

I haven't tried it myself but I've often thought about it. An example of spare batteries though is the single 18650 vs a joystick, there's not much weight in it so you could just take a spare light in the single cell example
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

dont know will flatten* my joystick tonight and let you know

You can charge that way but it takes ages v the normal charger

* I think it auto shuts down before it is completely flat so might not be able to test it
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote:I bought a MAXX-D a few months ago. Usual Exposure quality and has a great beam. Only issue I have so far is that it seems to reset its Program each time I charge it. I do wonder if I'm doing something wrong though..
My maxx-d (mk8) doesn't do this but my joystick (latest one dunno the mark) does. Its quite annoying but easy to change to the right programme....
Maybe email exposure and ask them?