Bivvy a month 2018.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

frogatthefarriers

Re: Bivvy a month 2018.

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BAM 11/12 Penrhos Isaf

I'm still waiting for my bones to heal, so another quickie for me this month. Drove to Dolgellau, Parked by the old bridge at Llanelltyd and pedalled up the lane into Coed y Brenin forest. The weather was forecast to be heavy rain and strong winds and I didn't fancy either tenting (only got a cheap nasty tent) or hammocking (a tree might fall on me), so ended up in Penrhos Isaf bothy after 5 o'clock. Someone had left a full bag of kindling sticks by the stove, so I set about sawing some wood (green wet branches) hoping that the kindling would be enough to get them going.

It was. :grin:

Having toasted my toes I set to cooking and eating my dinner - sausage, onion, spaghetti and a Dolmio sauce. A cup of tea, some halva and a good glug of some scotch that I'd got for my birthday. I hadn't sawed enough wood to keep the fire going for long so when it died down there was nothing to do but go to bed. At half past eight. Of course, going to bed that early, I'd had enough sleep by 3 o'clock so tossed and turned for another 5 hours. I was glad I'd opted for the bothy when I could hear the wind howling and rain beating down as I waited for morning.

The morning after..

Half an hour of mostly downhill pedalling got me back to my car. Where I'd parked used to be the main road to Barmouth. I remember the long delays at this single lane bridge from the traffic lights that were there. I was surprised to see these still in the road :-
I'll bet a lot of you here won't know what they are. (though quite a few will, I'm sure).
So one more bivvy and this years BAM campaign will be over....
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
javatime

Post by javatime »

BAM Retrospective 2/2, 3/3, 4/4

I posted January 1/1 way back almost on time....

February 2/2 - Quick and fairly local after work. Down to the Severn Plain, Lasagne at the Plough in Pilning and a bit of football on the television then off to the Sea Wall near Severn Beach. A bit noisy from lorries leaving the distribution park nearby all night, but that is probably where our groceries probably come from so it seems coy to grumble. Decent night then early start and straight to work for a shower, coffee and breakfast. Just one picture of a misty bridge.

March 3/3 - Another local one squeezed at the end of the month. Raced over to Leigh Woods. Well hidden but the music on the air was quite loud and I thought that the Quarry Rave Scene was in a revival....it wrapped up promptly at midnight with a finale of "Come on Eileen" and I realised it was a wedding reception across the fields at Abbots Leigh Village Hall. Home for breakfast, no photos !

April 4/4

A weekend of freebies...Had a comp. for Bespoked 2018 so enjoyed an hour on Friday wandering around the stands and catching up with old faces but there is only so much fancy lugwork and sparkle paint a man can take (and I wasn't too interested in the Campagnolo 12 Speed symposium....) so jumped on the Bristol to Bath Cycle Path, then the Two Tunnels to emerge in rural Wiltshire. Had a look in the ancient Packhorse pub at South Stoke - I had read that it was now a community owned asset with the locals taking over ownership so pleased that it had re-opened. Found a quiet place down the hill to cook noodles and spread out my bag.

Second freebie had been Lost Lanes West from Jack Thurston so spent Saturday doing two loops based on Bradford on Avon - first was Ride No 4 (Wildflowers and Watchtowers) that took a generally southward loop up to the brilliant gravel roads on the edge of the Imber Ranges before dropping back down through Farleigh Hungerford to Bradford on Avon. After a second late breakfast it was Ride No 5 (Wool Power ! ) which took a northern loop. I leapt off at Ford after quiet lanes and found a bridleway and cycle.travel route towards Marshfield / Pucklechurch / North Bristol and home.

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

12/12 done :-bd
Last tried and completed in 2014 and I must say I've bloody enjoyed it more this time round.
ImageIMG_20181201_164943_492 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

and it tied in with Global Fat Bike Day, as per usual a video coming soon...
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

First completion of 2018 there Jeff, well done :-bd
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

htrider wrote:First completion of 2018 there Jeff, well done :-bd
Cheers bud, its been a great year. :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
javatime

Post by javatime »

12/12 Last night - I am done.

With an ominous forecast for Friday headed out late afternoon from Bristol on the Festival Way with my pal - planned destination was the Glede Brewery (and Tap) that is located incongrously on an industrial estate in Clevedon. Took the work Px bike and panniers this time, quick to pack by throwing the stuff sacs into the panniers and we were mainly on lanes, but ...

The off road option along North Drove was possibly ill advised as the puddles got deeper and the predicted heavy shower hit as darkness fell but we picked up on the tarmac and rolled into the Tap that was a welcoming and friendly place. After a pint of Best and a Scotch egg we were revived and the strong westerly blew us back to Yatton along black back lanes to see my pal on the train home to Bristol in time.

I had planned to find Yorkhouse Cave in Brockley Combe to stay for the night - it looked good on Google ! - after negotiating a festive charity float in Claverham and thrashing around on the slopes above Brockley Combe I did find it - spacious but a bit damp and drippy so headed over the road to pitch in the woods. Was woken at 6.45 by Easyjet flight EZ3463 to Barcelona, then the ones to Edinburgh, Tenerife, Las Palmas, Dalaman, Nice ?...etc...etc. Quick brew and muesli bar, then back home around the quarries, Barrow Court, Ashton Court and over the bridge. Took a picture of the impressive crenelated stone/ wrought iron wall around Barrow Court - in its day it must have been a wealthy place...!

Will catch up on the retrospectives later....don't want to hog this topic today.

RIP

Post by RIP »

As per Another Winter Bivi, which was a fantastic weekend. 12/12, 35/35. Just got to wait for some sadist to start the BaM 2019 thread and off we go again. It's a form of madness I tell you. Madness.

MaM there on the right, and Si on the left, otherwise known as The Man With A Lightbulb For A Head - handy in the dark Mynd woods.

20181216_080325 by Reg - Flickr2BBcode LITE
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Am I right in thinking that despite the fact that we baled out half way through our Winter Bivvy ride (see the post in the People's Chilterns Winter Bivvy Front of Judea thread if you're interested), went back to the car and then drove to the pub and the field, this might still count towards BAM.

We don't seem to have contravened The Rules, and while even I, at my most sophistic, cannot deny it's not in the spirit of the endeavour, we still had several hours of grinding misery. We did. We suffered. A bit.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Gets my vote Tim mate :-bd. You biked. You bivi'd. Didn't see any mention of a car anywhere in your write-up :wink:. No doubt the Authorities will be along to adjudicate :-SS.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

12 from 12...very happy camper to have finally knocked this on the head...so did it properly and did a back-to-back. Friday night up on Long Mynd with Mike, Andy and Steve. Saturday night in the garden at the Ragleth with Jase and Ben.

Top stuff to everyone that's nailed it this year...there's been some very interesting weather to contend with.

Greetz

S.
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Will there be a 2019 one and is there a badge?

I need some inspiration or I may as well sell my bivvy kit....and a little fabric badge normally does the trick :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes Jo, we'll be running as usual next year and badges will be available to those seeing it through / enjoying every moment :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

December report is here:
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 25#p168520
10th bivvy of the year, 8/12 months (longest streak 7 in a row) in 2018.

After failing the BAM in a calendar year challenge at the very first hurdle, I've had some good nights out. Missed October, but did manage a 3 day tour, so not feeling like I missed out there. Was all set for November, but then storms rolled in and my accomplice bailed. Ho hum.
Will give it another go in 2019, and have resolved to get out into some big country again.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Hypothetical question..

If someone drove to the pub, sampled their wares & bivied in said pubs beer garden.. Then the next day rode from pub (with bivi gear on bike). Would this still qualify for a BaM?

Asking for a friend like… :wink:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
RIP

Post by RIP »

All of us have friends like that :lol:

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

littlegirlbunny wrote:Will there be a 2019 one and is there a badge?

I need some inspiration or I may as well sell my bivvy kit....and a little fabric badge normally does the trick :-bd
Do. It.

I want to drag my flabby arse away from the Highlands a bit next year so I'll be looking for bivvy companions keen to show me their patch - and you still owe me :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

It's an interesting one though Jase. To save you being arsed to click on "1", here's The Rules again:

1/ At least one night out during every calendar month throughout 2018.

2/ A single trip taking in both the last night of one month and the first of the next, will count as two months if you wish.

3/ No paid for accommodation inc' campsites or hostels.

4/ A bike must be involved - it's bikepacking, the clue's in the name.

5/ Your own garden doesn't count, although next doors does ... if you must.

6/ Post each trip here in as much detail as you like, pictures are good. One post for each month please.

The "bike must be involved" clause is a bit loose isn't it? You've certainly done that, as indeed Tim & Nick did on Saturday? Some BaMs seem to start from a motor, ride round a bit, kip almost next to the motor, then go home; so you've just inverted that? Maybe there should be a minimum mileage out/back? Trouble is that might exclude some rather eccentrically amusing outings!

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

12/12 BaM in 2018 at this months Merseyside Winter Event my 33rd in a row*

* retiring from the BaM challenge pressure after the Winter Event :wink:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Thanks Reg

My friend said it was the fact that they didn't ride to the bivi spot, only from there afterwards. Although they did pack their gear up & onto the bike for the ride to the cafe..

They also said that they blamed Scott & Ben for leading them astray :grin:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
postierich

Post by postierich »

Should be a minimum distance 10 mile and 2000ft height gain as well as 3 pubs listed for it to be a true night out :-)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's 2 consecutive years within the BB rules now, 25 months starting with the BBWB in 2016 and over 50 of the last 60 months. I've found BAM to be a great motivator, encouraging me out in conditions I might otherwise shun. I've some mates that are keen to complete BAM 2019 so it looks like my run will continue.

From my own point of view I might not involve a bike on all my jaunts next year. I have some places I want to camp that will require walking and/or paddling instead.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Salop winter Bivi was my 10th this year missed Jan as mother in law died ( very inconsiderate of her) and missed march as was in hospital with mastoiditis , hopefully will get the full 12 next year and a little cloth badge :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Scattamah wrote: Friday night up on Long Mynd with Mike, Andy and Steve. Saturday night in the garden at the Ragleth with Jase and Ben.
Oi! I was there on Friday too! :shock:

If I don't clarify everyone else will think my only night out was in the pub garden...

Oh, wait a minute
Wotsits wrote: They also said that they blamed Scott & Ben for leading them astray :grin:
Frankly I think it was Scott's fault, I was only playing a supporting part. And sleeping in a pub garden is obviously absolutely fine!
Wotsits wrote: My friend said it was the fact that they didn't ride to the bivi spot, only from there afterwards. Although they did pack their gear up & onto the bike for the ride to the cafe..
Well you, ahem I mean your friend, wore bike kit the whole evening, and slept in it too no? I think the real reason you deserve it is that you actually managed to ride your bike to the cafe despite the call of nature, that is commitment right there :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Your 'mate' doesn't seem to be contravening any of the guidelines Jase ... although 'he' probably is a bit soft :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

With all this discussion of the rules I'm claiming Dec's ride with Tim and his car as a BaM (ish).

About 35 miles ridden (grovelled) prior to resorting to the car and only then so that we'd get to the only pub locally with any room to eat before they gave awaay our reservation!!

So that's:
Jan- Jun and Nov and (sort of) Dec.
My best year yet.

Planning for 12/12 next year
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...