Who uses a rear rack, when bike packing?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tommid

Who uses a rear rack, when bike packing?

Post by tommid »

The next in my line of seemingly sometimes contraversial questions.

So who uses one, what do you put on it, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Is it a traditional rack or a seat post mounted rack? Have you also tried a seat pack?
Chew

Re: Who uses a rear rack, when bike packing?

Post by Chew »

Seat posted racks usually fail quite quickly offroad. The vibration and the leverage wrecks them.

Rear racks tend to go the same way, but might last a bit longer, and generally panniers are a pain for pushing and bike-a-hike

Seat Packs are the way forward. The Wildcat ones exceed all of the other variations
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've done a fair bit of mileage off road with a rack. I've never had one fail one and I do appreciate the lower CoG.

The only issue I've really had is that the width of panniers can be problematic through heather etc and through narrow gates.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a Salsa Minimal rack I sometimes use either front or back. It's designed for strapping drybags to rather than panniers..

Tends to get more use in winter if I've got bulky gear.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I also like how my rack performs as a basic mudguard. :)
gairym

Post by gairym »

I used to do a bastardised version of bikepacking-meets-offroad-touring with a pannier rack with dry bags strapped on (back before I discovered bikepacking specific luggage options) and whilst it's not bad (and I too liked the accidental mudguard thing) I was so happy when I started using frame-bags, bar-bags and seat-bags - so much better weight distribution and less rattling and wobbling around.

Now my bike feels like a heavy but fully functioning mountain bike whereas with a pannier rack loaded with stuff it felt like a twitchy dangerous tourer out of it's comfort zone.

As Stuart mentions they've got a place for extended/kit-intensive trips but it'd be a last resort for me now.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Pre bikepack days I broke a few alloy rear racks but then came across a steel rack in a car boot sale. It weighs a ton but is still going strong, only ever gets used for shopping now. The days of fighting the bike over terrain are thankfully long gone.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Did use a rear rack on the old commuting bike, it was very good in terms of ease of use - takes no time to attach/detatch luggage, and it was pretty damn strong. You can properly load them up if you wanted.

So if you wanted to literally lst minute pack and go, you can.

Overnight Trip (2011) by zippyonline, on Flickr

They do have the potential to weigh a lot, and the potential for you to pack weigh more than necessary, but they're pretty hassle free once fitted.

I've gone all rackless now, and use a backpack for commuting now - mostly as a back strengthening exercise :)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Any weight imbalance problems can be minimised by strapping something on at the front of the bike too.
PICT3465 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

I use a Freeload Rack and panniers (bought after reading Stu's review on the Blog). It fits on my full suspension (Giant Anthem) pretty well, although removed on of the cable stops to get it exactly where I wanted it. Done a couple of trip with it and really like it, although I'm coming round to a saddle bag and trying to pack light as it' not just the pack - it's the extra weight you tend to carry too.

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co ... eview.html

Stu.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yip, I've a Freeload as well, works on the full suss as well as it does on the rigid, though as mentioned you have to watch the cable stops and routing. Pic below wasn't actually a bikepacking trip, but it shows how much kit you can get on an ETS-X if you try...

Edit: Photo's being a bawbag. Try this link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =760090510
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
ton

Post by ton »

i rode about 10 polaris events using a rear rack to carry a saunders tent wrapped in a karrimat. i was fantasatic as a rear mudguard, and neer caused a problem offroad.
it was a blackburn mtn rack.
also used a tubus fly rack on various offroad trips in scotland with a racktop bag.
now i use a seatpost mounted carradice tour bag. ideal size for a weeks tour........stops me taking too much clutter.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I have rack (topeak disc tourist i think) on and use it for panniers when commuting, I do leave it on for bikepacking as I like the mudguard affect and being short I dont have a lot of space between my saddle snd rear wheel.

Never really had a problem with breakages - but have had a problem with loose screws in one of the frame mounts on my inbred. Doesn't cause a problem normally - just off road
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I had a rack made when I had my frame made (Custom Ti, Triton based in moscow, amazing company). Not for panniers, but for strapping drybags too. Works well so far. And can still use the dropper post!