Bivi bags - persuade me....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Bivi bags - persuade me....

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've camped out a lot over the years in a selection of lightweight tents. I've recently been using a Scarp and I'm really pleased at the weight, space and the flexibility of the pitching system. I also like the fact that I can zip it up and escape the midges ;-) However, there have been a few occasions where finding a suitable pitch has been difficult and I can appreciate the idea of being more intimate with my surroundings.

I'd be interested to hear from other long-term tent users on how they got on - and also some ideas about what I should buy if I decide to go down that route. I've already got a selection of sleeping bags and mats so it's really a bag (must have netting) and a tarp plus whatever guying/pegging out I would require.
Taylor

Re: Bivi bags - persuade me....

Post by Taylor »

Borah bag for the win. You will need a tarp for it though.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

First Bivi in a bag since teenage years (20+) in Feb. For a dry & frosty evening it was better than a tent looking up at the stars in the sky. Second in March under a tarp to stop snow falling in my face from tree branches. I have tried zipping myself in completely (it's a Rab storm) but I didn't much like it!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was considering a Rab Ascent - that's the one with the bug netting
Chew

Post by Chew »

Depends on the conditions for me. If i need a bit of protection its going to the the tent. A Bivi is a lot more effort if the weathers not great.

The Bivi's for when things are a bit more pleasent, and it makes me feel a bit more connected with where i am. In a tent you could be anywhere once you're zipped in. You'll also be able to get away with more marginal spots to stop for the night.

Not sure i'd want to be fully enclosed though
FLV

Post by FLV »

ScotRoutes wrote:I was considering a Rab Ascent - that's the one with the bug netting
spotted this
http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN80329

nice little discount
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Funnily enough.......