Highland Trail 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

Highland Trail 2019

Post by Karl »

Alan is accepting requests for next years event from today! Who's asking for an invite?

http://www.highlandtrail.net
FLV

Re: Highland Trail 2019

Post by FLV »

Not me this year. I'll go back at some point but not this time.

Are you going for it Karl?
Karl

Post by Karl »

If Alan will have me. I've got unfinished business from last year.

Good to see you back out Dave!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not me this time, I'll be dot watching. :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd sent me email this morning
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I drafted my email earlier in the week and sent it first thing this morning. Assuming I get in that's me committed to another winter of training in all weather's :roll:

I suppose if I do get a place it's justification to buy some new winter riding boots :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Me and a friend are hoping for 2020 for our 50th though not sure if we'll go for the group start. Good luck :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Sent my email to Alsn this morning also.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sent my email to Alsn this morning also.
Am I getting confused?

May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Blimey. As if the distance, climbing, unreliable water sources, and potential for inclement weather wasn't enough, they're adding lions into the mix?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

How do you go about entering?

Just send an email asking, or is there more to it? I ask because of the "drafted an email" thing.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I just wrote something like 'Hi Alan, any chance of a place on the group start next year?'
But if you haven't done it before you have to include stuff about previous ITT's you've done. There are previous threads about qualifying rides etc....
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

I just sent in my request, after a pretty easy year last year (only did torino-nice in terms of events).

Ian
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

One day....not this coming year (well not group start this coming year anyway)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:How do you go about entering?

Just send an email asking, or is there more to it? I ask because of the "drafted an email" thing.
Send an email to Alan. Helps him if you include links to your Strava activities like the BB200/300, etc. obviously the more recent the better, something from this year is more relevant than the same ride from five years ago

BB300 2018 <Strava link >
Etc
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It’s NOW just over 5 weeks until I will start taking requests for places on the 2017 group start. Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!
These include Lakeland 200, Cairngorms Loop and Yorkshire Dales 300. All should have been completed inside the time limits. I’ll also accept the northern or middle loop of the HT550. The main reason for having these “qualifiers” is for you to know what you are getting into and the best way is to have done large parts of the route itself. GPX files/links to Strava activities accepted as “proof”.
Finishers from the last three editions (since HT became 550 miles) will have a guaranteed place. An ITT finish also assures you of a place. This year I will take up to 60 names again and expect 40-50 to make the start line come May 27th. I’ll keep 10 places for women but won’t limit it to that should there be more female applicants. Also a minimum of 10 places will be for overseas riders, who should have experience of tough bikepacking routes/races where they are from.
The route for 2017 will be almost identical to this year. No E-bikes in the group start please!
I doubt it has changed but i dont know

I aim to do it 2020 and do two of those this year
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Lazarus wrote:
It’s NOW just over 5 weeks until I will start taking requests for places on the 2017 group start. Still not too late to get a qualifying ride in!
These include Lakeland 200, Cairngorms Loop and Yorkshire Dales 300. All should have been completed inside the time limits. I’ll also accept the northern or middle loop of the HT550. The main reason for having these “qualifiers” is for you to know what you are getting into and the best way is to have done large parts of the route itself. GPX files/links to Strava activities accepted as “proof”.
Finishers from the last three editions (since HT became 550 miles) will have a guaranteed place. An ITT finish also assures you of a place. This year I will take up to 60 names again and expect 40-50 to make the start line come May 27th. I’ll keep 10 places for women but won’t limit it to that should there be more female applicants. Also a minimum of 10 places will be for overseas riders, who should have experience of tough bikepacking routes/races where they are from.
The route for 2017 will be almost identical to this year. No E-bikes in the group start please!
I thought i read Cairngorm Loop was out...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Landslide wrote:Blimey. As if the distance, climbing, unreliable water sources, and potential for inclement weather wasn't enough, they're adding lions into the mix?
The lions are there to keep the cows off the riders.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Alpinum wrote: The lions are there to keep the cows off the riders.
Hail the lions protectors of me! I'm married to Cat and she sometimes looks like that lion in the morning. Don't tell her I said that!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Karl wrote:Alan is accepting requests for next years event from today! Who's asking for an invite?

http://www.highlandtrail.net
You will have to get a Mooove on :cool:
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Zippy wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
I thought i read Cairngorm Loop was out...
Why would that be - too easy?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Crap, didn't know I should include Strava stuff. I guess I'll have to annoy him with another email.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:Crap, didn't know I should include Strava stuff. I guess I'll have to annoy him with another email.
Rich, look at it from Alan's perspective: in the next few days he'll get fifty or sixty emails with people saying "I did x, y & z in 2018". With that info he's got to find the event and then find the results to verify that what the person saying is true, that's a lot of work. Remember that for the BB200/300 there are no "results" anyway. Strava/Trackleader links just mean he can click on the link and go "yes, they did that".
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’ve sent my email too. A mate is coming over from the US for this and he’s also in. Let the training begin...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote:
Richard G wrote:Crap, didn't know I should include Strava stuff. I guess I'll have to annoy him with another email.
Rich, look at it from Alan's perspective: in the next few days he'll get fifty or sixty emails with people saying "I did x, y & z in 2018". With that info he's got to find the event and then find the results to verify that what the person saying is true, that's a lot of work. Remember that for the BB200/300 there are no "results" anyway. Strava/Trackleader links just mean he can click on the link and go "yes, they did that".
I get it, there's just nothing on the site (that I could find) so I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing. :|