Super light gravel bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Re: Super light gravel bike

Post by BigdummySteve »

I quite like the look of this
https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/gra ... h-mystique
Mainly it looks very nice :-bd but it seems a decent spec for the price and can take wider tyres. With a bit of upgrading over time it could end pretty light as well.
After riding my Fargo for over a year I could see a place for a ‘gravel’ type bike.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Yes the Mystique looks a nice bike and unlike the very similar Space Chicken frame, it has the option for a double chainset with braze on front mech mount and, I assume routing for a gear cable. I'd want a close look at the internal cable routing as if it's not guided as many of these cheaper Taiwanese catalogue frames are, trying to change a gear cable is a nightmare of fishing around to get the inner to come out of the right hole by the bottom bracket. Trust me I've been there dozens of times, we used to use strong magnets and lots of patience. The new frames come with little straws for the builder to route the inners which are pulled through once the cable is located, a bit like climbing a rock face and pulling out all the protection as you go. I'd also want confirmation it's not a press fit bb for obvious reasons. Pity the Ultegra 2x11 build hasn't got hydro brakes but I assume this would increase the cost significantly. The black/orange colourway is prettier imo.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Proper bottom bracket :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

The SRAM Force looks like a lot of bike for the money, although, looking at the phots, I can’t help thinking they have cocked-up the bottle cage positions - looks like you could not have 2 bottles in simultaneously, unless my eyes have been deceived...

Always worry a bit when ‘cheap’ frames claim high modulus carbon, as that might equal light and stiff, but it is also very brittle as I found out to my cost with a lightweight CF Radon MTB frame.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Wtf
Attachments
C28970D3-D31F-45D0-B23C-15EF72A002D4.jpeg
C28970D3-D31F-45D0-B23C-15EF72A002D4.jpeg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Holy thread resurrection!

What do you all think of the Salsa Cutthroat? Could this be an answer and can you actually get them in the UK?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dave, talk to Shona. They seem to build more Cutthroats than anyone and get their Salsa stock direct ... ooh and very nice too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lyon Equipment have just picked up Salsa and Terravail so supply should improve (though given my previous experience with QBP........)

https://cyclingindustry.news/lyon-equip ... ail-tyres/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I believe a full transition is going to be a reasonably steady process though Colin.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Dave Barter wrote:Holy thread resurrection!

What do you all think of the Salsa Cutthroat? Could this be an answer and can you actually get them in the UK?

I think Karl&greg may got one from k p
Trying to ride bikes.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

I`ve got a Cutthroat in Medium that you are welcome to try Dave, I dont think you are a million miles from me?
It came from Ghyllside cycles, Ambleside, They posted my frame, a long drive otherwise!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Jurassic pusher wrote:

I`ve got a Cutthroat in Medium that you are welcome to try Dave, I dont think you are a million miles from me?
It came from Ghyllside cycles, Ambleside, They posted my frame, a long drive otherwise!
That would be ace! I just need to shake off this injury I have then will be in touch. Cheers
ootini

Post by ootini »

johnnystorm wrote:Image

I may be oversimplifying this, in fact I almost certainly am. But from what I can gather the Bombtrack Hook EXT C that jonnystorm posted above, is the lighter weight gravel bike equivalent of the Salsa Cuthroat, which is in essence the same bike but scaled up a touch to accept much larger tyres. I think the build quality of both Bombtrack and Salsa will be beyond question, and the builds available look very nice. If I were in the market, and had the where-with-all, these would be my two bikes of choice. And the question would then be, gravel or mountain bike?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Trek Checkpoint SL 5, many retailers have it at £2200, full 105, can run upto 45mm (I’m pretty sure) and a carbon frame etc

Yes, the name is less sexy than Salsa and Bombtrack but does come a lifetime guarantee on the frame... :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

For Salsa isn't it the Warbird that is the superlight weight gravel bike and the Cutthroat a superlight weight drop bar MTB?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
FLV

Post by FLV »

I have an Aluminium warbird, its not superlight. Somewhere around 9kg built with decent kit
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Obvioulsy it's not 1x11 as per the original request and it's also not under the £3K of the KTM which started this but a carbon di2 Warbird? If you write another book it would pay for it and I'd have something good to read :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger