Anyone using a synthetic bag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tommid

Anyone using a synthetic bag?

Post by tommid »

Anyone using one?
What is it, how much does it weight and what was behind your choice over a down?

I know there are advantages as they are better if wet, cheaper and warmer.
d45yth

Re: Anyone using a synthetic bag?

Post by d45yth »

It would depend on the time of year for me...I would struggle to carry my synthetic winter bag whilst bikebacking, it would require a backpack all of it's own! A summer one would be much more manageable though.
I don't agree with your last comment about being warmer either...down packs down a lot smaller for the bags given temperature rating, that's why most folk use it! You also get a bag to suit a certain temperature, to say one is warmer than another wouldn't be comparing like for like.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used down bags for years and recently experimented with synthetic. I got a Mountain Hardware Lamina as an option for "no tent" sleeping and it's actually very good for its weight and bulk, so much so that I acquired a warmer version and have been using it this winter. It's been warm enough to only need a thin baselayer underneath and packs into the drybag shown on my rack here:

P1050316 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

I am a lot less bothered by getting it wet and/or dirty than I have even been with a down bag as I know it is much easier to clean it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

IMO I can only see two good reasons for choosing a synthetic bag, ethical and cost.

I think the whole 'warm when wet' thing is a bit of a red herring as any bag will be miserable if it gets wet ... the key is not letting it get wet ;)

Temp' rating for temp' rating a down bag will be, lighter, more compact and with care will outlast a synthetic bag on a ratio of about 3 to 1.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

Presumably it's easier to dry out a synthetic bag if it does get wet? So, better for a trip where everything getting soaked is a likelihood?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Presumably it's easier to dry out a synthetic bag if it does get wet? So, better for a trip where everything getting soaked is a likelihood?
That's true, most synthetic insulation won't absorb much water ... but I do wonder what kind of trip involves everything getting soaked to that degree ;) Most bags regardless of fill will have some type of DWR treatment on the shell, so they'll all usually handle some drips or condensation.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I fall into Stu's way of thinking on this.

Keep it dry, be it synthetic or down, when either is wet it's likely to be a bit grim, synthetic isn't a particular advantage. It certainly doesn't outweight the definite advantages of lighter weight, more compact-ness of down for a given temp rating.

I take the point about drying from absolute sodden and easier cleaning. But the former isn't very common IMO. Last time was 20 years ago putting a tent up pished on Skye after a village ceildh. Me or one of my equally drunk mates pegged the outer beyond the cover of the fly and it was my bag that rested in the pool from driving overnight rain. Most damping of a down ba can be dried out so long as the breeze picks up and the weather is half decent.

As for cleaning, I've never washed a pit. Maybe that's jusst unique to me :?

For me, it's always down over synthetic but I will be honest and say I haven't used a synthetic for nearly 2 decades. And in the end, HYOH as they say 8-)
Nick

Post by Nick »

+1 for the Lamina 35, it's a great bag, weighs 1kg and good (with clothes on) to low single digit temps.

Synthetic bags absorb less water so therefore don't turn into heavy, ripping, blogs of crap that can't be stuffed onto a sack.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

[quote="Nick]Synthetic bags absorb less water so therefore don't turn into heavy, ripping, blogs of crap that can't be stuffed onto a sack.[/quote]

I don't disagree, but I also find it doesn't happen very often. In fact it rarely ever happens. Do you find it happens much?

Not trying to be a smartarse, genuine question 8-)
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

I think economics of it plays a part too.

I've used both when I worked in the outdoors and never had any problems, but then in agreement with several points made before, I had well dialled routines that put maximum importance into keeping sleeping/nighttime wear dry!

Saying that, I am more inclined to take a synthetic bag on something like a canoe trip, as moisture from drying bodies is a big part and the synthetic is a little easier to manage in terms of airing etc.

I prefer my down bag though, as it has a similar temp rating to my synthetic but packs smaller and lighter, but was more expensive!

I feel you should look after your bag on trips and get the best one, fit and design that fits your needs!
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

tommid wrote:Anyone using one?
What is it, how much does it weight and what was behind your choice over a down?

I know there are advantages as they are better if wet, cheaper and warmer.
I got a golite rs3 sythetic quilt
about 1kg
I fancied trying a quilt and stu was selling one

I don't use down for ethical reasons...don't get me started again ;)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm tempted by a synthetic as when using my bivi bag there's inevitably more moisture and likelihood of me getting mud all over it. So if I have to wash it it'll be easier. I'm a down convert but recently had to wash my bag (use a liner to avoid it) as my shower leaked and the adjoining cupboard got damp along with my down bag. The hassle of washing, proofing and drying was unreal. It literally took hours & hours in the dryer.

I used to have a Vango ultralite synthetic that was pretty warm and packed small. Downside was the material used looked, felt and sounded like a crisp packet. It would just trap sweat and stick to you. Yuck. :roll:

I've now got a Thermarest Haven and get on with it. Next logical step is a synthetic quilt then?? :lol:
tommid

Post by tommid »

I asked this as while I look for a down bag that fits, I seem to find hundreds of synthetic bags that fit the bill (but are a lot heavier).

Some interesting arguements. I still think I will go with a down bag, except for the really coldest of winter nights.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some interesting arguements. I still think I will go with a down bag, except for the really coldest of winter nights.
That statement makes no sense :?

EDIT: I've just thought, I should clarify that ^ by saying: Why would you choose to use a less efficient insulation on really cold winter nights ? That's when down really comes in to it's own.