WTB Tough/Light Compounds

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blair512

WTB Tough/Light Compounds

Post by Blair512 »

I've managed to tear the casing of my rear tyre on my Ramin (WTB Trailblazer 27.5x2.8 on a scraper i45) right alongside the rim somehow. I'm looking at replacing it with a Ranger as per Stu's recommendation earlier this year. Question is though, do I go for Light High Grip or Tough and Fast?

Is there any significant real world differences? I'll be using the bike to commute over winter as well as for bikepacking duties so I'm leaning towards tough but thought I'd ask folks opinions before I hit buy!
Richpips

Re: WTB Tough/Light Compounds

Post by Richpips »

The significant real world difference with the tough casing is that you won't have numerous holes / tears in the sidewall of your tires.

That comes from 2 years experience in Scotland, Lakes and the Peak on various TCS light tyres
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

And one from the other side of the coin...I've never ripped a TCS light, most likely due to me not thrashing Lois down lots of rocks....but I did manage to slice a standard Nano 2.1 this year...on all things a forest access road with a random loose rock at high speed. My current Trailboss are the XC race variety and do weep sealant from the sidewall, albeit very slowly and very tiny amounts. YMMV.

Greetz

S.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Same as Scott haven't damaged a side wall still got the original trail blazers on my longitude done about 3000 mile without problems also used for commuting on along unpaved towpaths , but not that many rocks round my way ,more roots .
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Found fast and light @ wiggle for £24 so good old Scottish tightness won out in the end!!! :-bd