bombtrack beyond 1: buy or dont buy

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MikeOnabike

bombtrack beyond 1: buy or dont buy

Post by MikeOnabike »

Oh wise folk of bearbones, lend me bike advice.

I've owned and loved a Surley krampus for a couple of years but (a) i've moved away from the mountains and beaches of scotland to oxford and (b) its been nicked. So I need a new bike. My trips always involve a bit of road / double track touring and so I'd like something lighter on its feet than the krampus. The bike will be used for trips around oxfordshire, the chilterns etc and hopefully a few weeklong trips e.g., giorgia or spain.

I have my eye on the bombtrack beyond (https://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/pr ... -2019-bike). Anyone have any experience with the brand / model? Any good arguments for getting something else instead?

Thanks!
johnnystorm

Re: bombtrack beyond 1: buy or dont buy

Post by johnnystorm »

I've ridden the Audax and Hook EXT and been really impressed with both. Can't see this being a duffer with similar design/materials being used. The one thing on those two i wasn't so keen on was the PF BB but this has a BSA threaded one.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I ride the same places, same sort of all-road thing and that does look like a pretty good option for it. It looks like it'd weigh the same as a good 29er (as that's what it is, bars aside) so I might want something that rode/felt a bit lighter for the longer road and easy tracks rides (650B feels quicker to spin up on road ime but once you're rolling there's really not a lot in it), but I expect it'd make up for it on the rootier singletracks. The other option might be the Genesis drop bar 29er bike, forget the name now.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Firstly let me commiserate you in your unfortunate move of location :wink:

I moved from a surly ECR to a salsa Fargo, the ECR was a great bike in the right environment but 3” tires are horrible on the inevitable road sections.
I’m constantly surprised at how capable and versatile it is. If the bombtrack is similar it should be great for the mix around here, I’m just up the road in Banbury if you want a spin to see if the drop bar thing works for you.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Have heard positive things about the Beyond. Not that l need another bike but have been looking at this for a while and the new Kona Sutra ltd.
http://www.konaworld.com/sutra_ltd.cfm
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

+1 for the Fargo but also the Bombtrack Hook ADV.
Ditch the dropper though. :wink:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
MikeOnabike

Post by MikeOnabike »

Thanks folks - I'm suitably encouraged!

I'd probably go for the fargo, but its a bit beyond my range, and i'd probably go for the kona sutra, but it seems they wont be in stock will march.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

There is an attractively priced frame in the classifieds, It might not be shiny new but they don’t stay that way for long anyway.
Money saved over new could buy some nice wheels, bags etc :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

Heard very good things about that bike from a guy who's opinion I can rely on.
Scud

Post by Scud »

My two pennies worth.. the Bombtrack bike looks a lot like a Fargo.

Having owned a Fargo before they are great bikes, but they are by no means light, they are great for long distance touring with a load where they are stable and like riding an armchair. But they are not light and many a carbon 29er can be had that would be lighter just for general riding.

But if you want drop bars, and you are going to be doing mostly road and the bridleways (which is 90% of my riding living in Norfolk), i think you'd be better off with a proper one of the new breed of gravel bikes. Lighter than a proper mountain bike, surprisingly capable off and a lot nicer on the road sections as they roll nearly as well as a road bike.